• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

The National Anthem

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Here;s a clip that is only her performance. IMHO - apart from the outfit that she was wearing, she nailed it.

But Aretha Franklin's version is still front and center for me:

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Stepping back in time - this rendition of American the Beautiful still brings tears to my eye. This was six weeks after the 9/11/01 World Trade Tower attacks, when wounds were still raw.

Brother Ray, the genius of soul. :clap:

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Lady Gaga awesome, But has an 80s girl that has spent a good portion of her life with a silly smile on her face whenever John Bon Jovi was in eyesight I was very disappointed with tonight’s “here comes the Sun”

Last edited:

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Ocean Blvd, Fairfield Glade
Lady Gaga awesome, But has an 80s girl that has spent a good portion of her life with a silly smile on her face whenever John Bon Jovi was in eyesight I was very disappointed with tonight’s “here comes the Sun”
Well, in fairness, when you’re covering the Beatles, you better be perfect. I loved the choice of song but the performance was lacking.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana

I agree it was flat. Would have love to have seen "Livin' on a Prayer"

Garth Brooks singing Amazing Grace wasn't his best either.

mentalbreak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Being a band geek myself I was knocked out with the President's Own US Marine Band (who also provided the back up for the singers listed above). During my teaching career I hosted them at my college on tour and they remain the true standard for musical excellence. Side note: The Marine Band has played for every inauguration since Jefferson.

Neil

I had the opportunity to attend one of their community concerts in 2018. I HIGHLY recommend checking out their schedule and catching a performance any chance you get.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
I had the opportunity to attend one of their community concerts in 2018. I HIGHLY recommend checking out their schedule and catching a performance any chance you get.

+1

Richard

=

Bucky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Oceanwatch (2)
She flat knocked it out of the park and I have never been a big fan of hers before this. Very impressive performance.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
I like JLo too!
...... The music is a 1 and 1/2 octave range, which few of us are able to handle. Lady Gaga has that range. I liked JLo's performance as well. I don't know if she would have range for the National Anthem as America the Beautiful and This land is you land, both have a range of one octave or less.
Either way, it was great.
Here is what J.Lo said at the end of her performance:

"Una nacion , bajo Dios , indivisible , con libertad y
justicia para todos"

It was great to see 2 Bronx born "Nuyoricans" on the stage
Supreme Court Justice Sonya Sotomayor -swearing in the Vice President
Jenifer Lopez performing as a singer

< I have a soft spot in my heart for the Bronx -I graduated from a Bronx based all male Jesuit HS in 1972 >

Last edited:

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of Gaga. I think she's somewhat of a modern day muse. I was very happy that she kept it heart felt and didn't make it too over the top. She's quirky and cooky as her personas that she uses on stage.

Glenn2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ft. Lauderdale Beach Resort (2)
Suites at Fisherman's Wharf
Lady Gaga's performance was fantastic. Her version of the anthem was respectful enough with just a little bit of edge.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
BTW, the music for Star Spangled Banner is based on a British drinking song,
"The Anacreontic Song."

It should be played more as a march, and not as a ballad or dirge, as is typical.

America to British: You attacked us, so we want to copy your music.
British to America: Sure, but just disguise it so no one knows.

Last edited:

isisdave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai
From WikiPedia:

"The Star-Spangled Banner" was recognized for official use by the United States Navy in 1889, and by U.S. president Woodrow Wilson in 1916, and was made the national anthem by a congressional resolution on March 3, 1931 (46 Stat. 1508, codified at 36 U.S.C. § 301), which was signed by President Herbert Hoover.

Before 1931, other songs served as the hymns of U.S. officialdom. "Hail, Columbia" served this purpose at official functions for most of the 19th century. "My Country, 'Tis of Thee", whose melody is identical to "God Save the Queen", the United Kingdom's national anthem,[3] also served as a de facto national anthem.[4] Following the War of 1812 and subsequent U.S. wars, other songs emerged to compete for popularity at public events, among them "America the Beautiful", which itself was being considered before 1931 as a candidate to become the national anthem of the United States."

=============

I've always wished we used America the Beautiful. It's about the country and its people, not its flag, which I think we tend to overemphasize. It's much easier to sing. And the hairs on my neck always stand up when I hear the challenge "God mend thine every flaw: Confirm thy soul in self-control, thy liberty in law." Good balance in that sentiment.

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
BTW, the music for Star Spangled Banner is based on a British drinking song,
"The Anacreontic Song."

It should be played more as a march, than as a ballad or dirge, as is typical.

America to British: You attacked us, so we want to copy your music.
British to America: Sure, but just disguise it so no one knows.

I always heard that was the case also however, seems interpretation lies with the interpreter. Depends on if you drink or not I guess but hey, next rounds on me. :whooopie:

Myth #4: Key’s Banner is based on the melody of a bawdy old English drinking song.

Correction: “The Anacreontic Song” was the constitutional anthem of an elite, London-based, amateur music society… but it gets complicated.

Francis Scott Key would have most likely encountered the melody of “The Anacreontic Song” initially through its most popular American parody—a song written in support of the United States’ second President John Adams and known as “Adams and Liberty.” So for Key, the song might well have been singularly American. It’s also likely that he knew the original English musicians’ club tune as his family was of British descent.

This original song was the constitutional anthem of The Anacreontic Society, an all-male music club based in London and founded about 1766. Undoubtedly club members drank alcohol at meetings (water wasn’t safe after all) and indeed this lyric toasts the club’s future, but the song’s purpose is distinctly different as it conveys the club’s value of sociality through music.

The song indeed sounds like a drinking song. It uses the choral refrain, fast tempo, jaunty affect, and melodic leaps common to the drinking song genre but here for advertising purposes. It conveys the fun-loving camaraderie of club membership and celebrates the joys of making music. (There’s nothing bawdy about the original text and, in fact, women were not even present when the song was sung and couldn’t be members.)

It is also too musically sophisticated for a typical pub ditty. Accompanied by harpsichord and with a chorus sung in four-part harmony, it required substantial vocal skill to perform. It is also rather long. These characteristics are not part of the drinking song genre.

The song was written to be performed in a ballroom rather than a pub. Anacreontic Society meetings were elite affairs beginning with a two-hour symphony concert held in an elegant meeting room followed by dinner. The club’s anthem was sung after dinner (and was usually preceded by a prayer) to introduce a set of popular part songs. Professional singers, who also performed in London’s theaters, sang along with select, trained amateurs while general members joined to echo as a chorus. As a challenging song written to showcase the artistic aspirations of the club, “The Anacreontic Song” would typically have been sung by a featured professional. Its rather athletic melody was thus never intended for mass singing. So that’s why it’s so hard to sing! It’s written to allow a skilled soloist to show off.

One wonders what Key would think of 100,000 fans at a college football game singing his Anthem. In his day, the Banner was only sung as a solo, with the final two lines (“O say does that… wave?) repeated by a chorus (i.e, the community) and affirmed.