• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

The moving adventures of DaveNV (super long, with pictures)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Glad to hear that the move is over and done with in spite of the jerk at U haul. Best of luck in selling your house quickly and finding a great new place to call home!
Joan

Thanks, Joan! The house will be listed tomorrow. Here's hoping for a quick sale! We've already got our eye on a couple of homes here in Mesquite, but it's possible we may have a home built here, too. It's nice having options. But it starts with selling the Washington house first. One step at a time. :)

Dave

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I was thinking about you doing all that work while I was relaxing on the lanai. :D

I’m glad everything worked out in the end. I know your an old moving pro but it always seems something happens and all that work is never fun. So glad that part is all behind you.

Now you can take your time and go through your stuff one last time to really decide what you want or need to keep. I know I would have liked to keep some items but it just wasn’t practical so my time crunch helped me.

The 4th will be a good day for you and Jeff (your husband has a great name BTW:D) to take some time to enjoy and appreciate what you two just did. What you two did wasn’t any different that what my wife and I did, it just wasn’t over an ocean. It’s a big change and I’m sure you two are ready for it. Keep us updated.

Thanks, Jeff! As I was slogging along the road at 2:00AM, I kept thinking, "Why didn't we move to Hawaii instead???" LOL! We'll see what develops.

And yes, my Jeff does have a nice name, right? Kind of familiar... :D

Dave

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Thanks for sharing your adventures in moving. It reminded me of our move 5 years ago from Sacramento to Costa Mesa. We did it in several trips towing the uHaul trailer because I have a pickup, then stowing “stuff” in a storage container. If I never have to drive I5 down the central valley again it will be too soon. Neat idea to negotiate the pickup with a dealership.

I call my truck Obama because I bought it new in 2009 using the clunker rebate, trading in a 1991 Ford F250 that I couldn’t pay someone to take off my hands, what a deal $4500 trade value.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks, Dave! The pickup thing was a needed part of all of this. I knew I needed a way to get loads of stuff to the dump, and places like Goodwill weren't open, due to Covid-19. So the things that wouldn't fit in my car had to be disposed of somehow. I'm friends with a local car dealer in my old town, so I approached them about buying a well-used pickup they had, as a temporary thing, then selling it back to them when I was done. I could have rented a pickup somewhere, but I didn't know how long I'd need it. The dealer agreed. I ended up with the pickup for about two months, and I put about 1000 miles on it. When the money was done, it cost me roughly $900 to have it for that time. It was great to have available, and I used the heck out of it. (A 2004 Chevy Silverado 1500, if anyone cares. It's the pickup in the driveway in the picture of my old house.)

Dave

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
So @DaveNV - please put this rumor to rest.....

Does it truly matter if it is a dry heat?

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks very much! I sincerely appreciate your kind words. I have always tried to be the kind of friend to others that I wanted for myself. Some days it works out. :)

I hope to learn and share a lot about this part of the country. I've visited around here many times, but it'll be nice living here year-round, to experience things in different seasons. It's blistering hot here right now, which I expected, but going forward that will start to change, and things will become very interesting. I'm looking forward to learning how to live here. :)

Dave
DaveNV, it can not be blistering hot in Nevada. It is dry heat. That is what everyone tell us, when we visit Vegas ....Right.

When we visit Vegas, we normally stay in place during he day and we will only venture out after 9PM. When it is 95 degrees or below 95. Because of the dry heat. We are from Virginia . Where it is Hot and Humid.

Please try to chill and relax. You earned it from your drive from Seattle to Mesquite.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Welcome to Nevada, Dave & Jeff. I look forward to meeting both of you in person when we can arrange for a TUG get-together in the Las Vegas area. Having made a similar journey from Washington state to Nevada in a Penske rental truck following our son, who was driving our van, I know what you went through. It's brutal at the time, but so worth it after everything is put away and you've had lots of rest! Enjoy!

Thanks, Karen! It is awesome to finally be here! Settling in, bit by bit. There's a little dog park around the corner from the home we've rented here, and I went there early this morning with my dogs. They met a neighbor's dog while playing on the grass, and now have new friends. It was nice meeting and speaking with the owner. I think I'll like living here. :)

The LV Tug Meet-n-Greet will be most welcome, when we get one put together.

Dave

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
When I moved from my house to the CCRC I did exactly that. It was a cakewalk. All I had to do was buy new stuff and schedule delivery times. Amazingly I had everything set up to be delivered between 9 am and Noon on a specific day and it came off without a hitch...

George

You, George, are a very wise man. :D

Dave

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Congratulations to you both on your successful move to Nevada. This native Washington Girl is a little sad about the move because I had hoped our paths might cross at one of our mutually owned WorldMark resorts in the NW. We don’t get down to Mesquite too often (like never!)

Thanks, Gayle! We'll still be visiting the PNW, but it will most likely be in Summer, when things have a better chance of being dry. And WorldMark is ubiquitous, so there is still a chance we may run into each other. Maybe someone needs to arrange a Tug Get-Together at a Worldmark resort someplace. (That would be a real kick!)

Dave

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
What a saga! And I've always found that purging is a two-phrase process--which you are discovering. The purge before you move, and the purge as you unpack. Both are valuable, and both are necessary!

And I apologize if I've ever mis-gendered your spouse. I, too, tend to use the gender-neutral "spouse", mostly because I find the gendered terms for spouse come loaded with a bunch of out-of-date gender-role-stereotypes. :)

Congrats to you both! I hope the adjustment of living in NV--and living *without* your sister--goes smoothly in the next few months.

Thanks, Amy! Purging the moving parts of life is definitely in order. I opened a box marked "Kitchen" last night, and found at least a dozen Starbucks travel cups. The clear plastic kind with the screw on lids. I asked Jeff why these had been packed, and he said, "I didn't pack them. Must have been your sister." We don't need a dozen plastic travel cups. One or two will do nicely, thanks. The purge continues... :D

The non-gender spouse thing was never an issue for me, but I do apologize if I made anyone feel uncomfortable. I used the word deliberately to refer to my married partner, and I let people draw their own conclusions. It's natural to assume I had an opposite sex spouse, because I never said anything one way or the other. In every reply to any post, I carefully referred to "my spouse" without implying gender. And it was all due to his job, as I explained. Some Tuggers said I was being overly-cautious, but it felt like the right thing to do at the time. Now that we're past all that, it feels better to be open about things. I'm glad to be done with that part of things.

Living without my sister will be nice, to be honest. She's very happy to have stayed in Washington, where her friends are. She's a pretty independent sort, so having her familiar territory around her is better. She's happy.

Dave

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
So @DaveNV - please put this rumor to rest.....

Does it truly matter if it is a dry heat?

Well, so far, it's not that bad. Hot like crazy in the sun, for sure. But in the shade, it's not terrible. My arthritic bones kind of like that heat. The house has central air conditioning, so it's very comfortable indoors. We're sleeping well. So we'll see, going forward, how we adapt. Check back in six months, and we'll see how it is. :)

Dave

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Even your mis-adventures sound awesome (ok, not the part dealing with the U-haul guy, that was sucky and reminded me of a reservation I once had for a 12 passenger van with plans to leave at 6am to take a bunch of kids to WDW and a certain rental car company which I subsequently blocked from my memory).

Wishing you and Jeff many years of happiness in your new locale!

And to chalk up strange but true stories, I’m currently in the car traveling on the I-90 from Spokane to Seattle. This is just a visit but if I were house hunting there your adorable house would be a gem! Hope you get the quick sale you’re wishing for...a family member in the area had four offers only three days after going on the market.

Thanks! I also hope the house sells fast. It's a really nice place, with a quarter acre corner lot on a nice, secluded urban street. Well worth owning. We'll see how it goes. :D

Dave

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
@DaveNV As an aside....I am a loyal Costco member but avoided my local warehouse since pre-covid. I finally got up the courage to enter a few days ago. It was good to be back.

And in the background I heard Peaches & Herb singing "Reunited". It all came together as I grabbed a case of toilet paper.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
DaveNV, it can not be blistering hot in Nevada. It is dry heat. That is what everyone tell us, when we visit Vegas ....Right.

When we visit Vegas, we normally stay in place during he day and we will only venture out after 9PM. When it is 95 degrees or below 95. Because of the dry heat. We are from Virginia . Where it is Hot and Humid.

Please try to chill and relax. You earned it from your drive from Seattle to Mesquite.

Thanks, Pedro. People here are very active in the early and late hours, and stay indoors during the hottest parts of the day. I'm one who wakes up early most days anyway, so I think it'll be easy to adapt. Later in the year, when daily temps are lower, I think things tend to spread out more, time-wise.

Dave

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
@DaveNV As an aside....I am a loyal Costco member but avoided my local warehouse since pre-covid. I finally got up the courage to enter a few days ago. It was good to be back.

And in the background I heard Peaches & Herb singing "Reunited". It all came together as I grabbed a case of toilet paper.

That's funny. Subliminal music is the best. And wasn't it nice being able to find TP like before? We haven't been to the local Costco here yet (have that planned for today - we need to stock up on groceries), so it'll be interesting to see how things are. We've been to the St. George Costco before - it's a great warehouse. Will be nice to experience it as a local now. :D

Dave

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Dave I was so excited to read that you made it! I must admit I was exhausted reading it, though! I don’t know how you did it! I definitely would have done it a little differently - like hiring a moving company for one thing! Lol!

But- hey- the important thing is you are where you want to be with your husband ( gee- that was a surprise!) and I wish you all the best as you get settled in and begin your new adventure.

BTW- your home in Washington is lovely and I am sure it will sell quickly based on what you said about the market there.

Your rental house is just as I imagined it. Take it from me- the rental house we were in was really small (and old and awkward) but moving into it confirmed that we did a pretty good job of downsizing since our new house is also small ( but laid out well and modern).

So you have a good plan. As you go through the boxes toss what you don’t need or use right away. Don’t put it away. This way you will be nice and ready when you buy your dream home and it will be much easier.

Can’t wait to hear more about your journey!

Thanks, Mary Ann! I had looked into hiring movers, but we only had a dozen or so pieces of furniture to move, and the rest was small stuff - mainly boxes. The cost was prohibitive. The way we did it was probably more work, but it was the best way to get things done. And as you say, now we're here. The rest is just details. :)

There will be more to share, as things develop. But it's nice having a few days of down time right now. Catching up on lost sleep, and watching bruises fade is a nice thing. LOL! :)

Dave

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Thanks for sharing your moving adventure with us, Dave. Reading it, I literally re-lived my Retirement move from Minnesota to Colorado two and half years ago. So many similarities, head aches, miles, surprises and boxes with stuff you don’t need any more. Enjoy your retirement, have a great life with Jeff at Mesquite, NV.

Thanks! If our moving experience is kind of typical, then I understand why people say it's such a hassle. It wasn't terrible, just took a lot longer than planned, cost more, and took more out of us than we'd expected. I'm a great planner, and once I have a plan, I'm great at execution. But this was more than I'd expected it would be. Although it did all come together in the end. One step at a time. :)

Dave

Last edited:

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
@DaveNV Thanks for updating us about your move and for the big coming out story! What a surprise. I like you even more now that I know you are gay! Sorry I referred to Jeff as your wife. No problem with keeping it a secret for Jeff. I am happy that you and Jeff have retired and are starting your new life in Mesquite.

Thanks! I'm glad to finally be able to not have to protect Jeff's working situation. It's easier being open about things. Life in Mesquite will be interesting! :D

Dave

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
We have a trip to Vegas coming up in September. 9/9-10/3. Hoping to do a side trip to Flagstaff, Sedona, Indio or South Shore for part of the time. The only thing we have scheduled at this point is the Nevada Northern Railway Great Basin Star Train tour up in Ely, NV on the 11th. Planning this trip is still a work in progress. If you and Jeff feel like driving to Vegas it would be great to get together. I'll pm you with my number when I get our plans finalized.

Congratulations on the move!

Thanks Jan! Let's see how things go. I'm still reeling from the last two weeks. Too soon to commit to anything else. LOL! :D

Dave

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Somehow, I kind of doubt that. ;)

Thanks again for the hospitality. You live in a great place.

Dave
You're much too kind. As you've said, TUG is the best group of imaginary friends (maybe not imaginary- how about 'virtual'?) a person could ask for! I treasure the acquaintances and in-person friendships that have occurred here and in person at places around the world.

TUGgers are special people!

Jim

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
You're much too kind. As you've said, TUG is the best group of imaginary friends (maybe not imaginary- how about 'virtual'?) a person could ask for! I treasure the acquaintances and in-person friendships that have occurred here and in person at places around the world.

TUGgers are special people!

Jim
I am constantly referring to my "friend so and so from TUG" to dh and dd. I think they almost know all of you as well. :D

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
@Glynda. 21 houses?
21?

wow!
Yes. Corporate transfers, most of them...hubby “climbing the ladder.”. Only 4 of them since 1994. The hardest one was when we moved next door.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
A number of years back I always stayed at the CasaBlanca, a combination TS/Hotel in Mesquite while attending NASCAR races at Las Vegas Motor Speedway. One of the many pluses Mesquite offered was a truck stop type casino right off the Interstate on the East side of town where I could play Black Jack for $1 a hand vs $25 and up minimum per hand on the strip in Vegas...

George

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
When I read that first part where you mentioned your husband, I thought... "Oh, I didn't know Dave was polyamorous."
It's so funny that I always thought you were talking about your wife if you never said wife. Maybe it's all the replies from other that said wife that stuck in my mind. At any rate, yes, we all have to be careful when mentioning too many things that make it easy for randoms on the internet to find us in real life. Of course, now, you've shown us a picture of your home. :p

Boy, I am glad you shared this moving experience. It really puts stuff into perspective of what we really need to take with us. When we moved into our current home 20 years ago, the moving company that we hired didn't show up and didn't return our calls that day. We ended up getting a Uhaul and doing it ourselves, but our move was in the same city, so a bit easier to deal with than yours. We still to this day have stuff in boxes in the garage that we moved here back then. I love to throw stuff out, but my husband has some hoarding tendencies and I often have to throw out stuff when he isn't around. I feel like I don't want to bring anything with me when we do our next move, other than whatever my dogs need.

Sorry, no. Not polyamorous. I'm just your average married guy. Well, maybe not so average. LOL! :D

The moving experience has been, well, "moving." After 17 years in our old house, there were things we just accumulated, without even thinking about it. Things got moved that seemed important when it was being packed, but now that we're on the other end, I can see a lot of it can go away forever. I'm looking forward to that second purge. :)

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.