• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

The moving adventures of DaveNV (super long, with pictures)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sun starved Gayle

TUG Member
Reaction score
Congratulations to you both on your successful move to Nevada. This native Washington Girl is a little sad about the move because I had hoped our paths might cross at one of our mutually owned WorldMark resorts in the NW. We don’t get down to Mesquite too often (like never!)

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
What a trip ! New places, new adventures. Glad you guys made it.

Bill

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
What a saga! And I've always found that purging is a two-phrase process--which you are discovering. The purge before you move, and the purge as you unpack. Both are valuable, and both are necessary!

And I apologize if I've ever mis-gendered your spouse. I, too, tend to use the gender-neutral "spouse", mostly because I find the gendered terms for spouse come loaded with a bunch of out-of-date gender-role-stereotypes. :)

Congrats to you both! I hope the adjustment of living in NV--and living *without* your sister--goes smoothly in the next few months.

Beachclubmum

Reaction score
Even your mis-adventures sound awesome (ok, not the part dealing with the U-haul guy, that was sucky and reminded me of a reservation I once had for a 12 passenger van with plans to leave at 6am to take a bunch of kids to WDW and a certain rental car company which I subsequently blocked from my memory).

Wishing you and Jeff many years of happiness in your new locale!

And to chalk up strange but true stories, I’m currently in the car traveling on the I-90 from Spokane to Seattle. This is just a visit but if I were house hunting there your adorable house would be a gem! Hope you get the quick sale you’re wishing for...a family member in the area had four offers only three days after going on the market.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Dave I was so excited to read that you made it! I must admit I was exhausted reading it, though! I don’t know how you did it! I definitely would have done it a little differently - like hiring a moving company for one thing! Lol!

But- hey- the important thing is you are where you want to be with your husband ( gee- that was a surprise!) and I wish you all the best as you get settled in and begin your new adventure.

BTW- your home in Washington is lovely and I am sure it will sell quickly based on what you said about the market there.

Your rental house is just as I imagined it. Take it from me- the rental house we were in was really small (and old and awkward) but moving into it confirmed that we did a pretty good job of downsizing since our new house is also small ( but laid out well and modern).

So you have a good plan. As you go through the boxes toss what you don’t need or use right away. Don’t put it away. This way you will be nice and ready when you buy your dream home and it will be much easier.

Can’t wait to hear more about your journey!

Last edited:

geekette

Reaction score
....My husband Jeff and I have been together for 22 years, and were married in California in 2008. I apologize to anyone who may feel they were misled all these years.

Misled? Nope. I am happy for anyone happily married, and thrilled that it was possible 22 years ago!! I won't again refer to your wife; sorry about that, Jeff! I don't ever have a problem with private things remaining private for whatever reasons or no reasons.

Welcome to a new chapter in a new place. I hope you both get settled into happy life quickly.

Nothing worth doing comes easily, but, now the hard part is over! The old place will sell quickly and no long drawn out drama on it. I'm sure of it.

go. rest and enjoy!

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Dave, congrats on getting the move over with! I'm amazed you got it all done during Covid - you're one of my new heroes! We thought we'd be settled into a new home in AZ or NV by now, but the Coronavirus blew up all of our plans. We have to get family settled into Brazil and Croatia first. But, you give me hope!

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Dave, congrats on getting the move over with! I'm amazed you got it all done during Covid - you're one of my new heroes! We thought we'd be settled into a new home in AZ or NV by now, but the Coronavirus blew up all of our plans. We have to get family settled into Brazil and Croatia first. But, you give me hope!

Thanks! We did everything externally with masks, hand sanitizer, and lots of social distancing. It was a challenge, but it can be done. Good luck!

Dave

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
Glad you and all your stuff made it down to Nevada with no major problems. All the best in your new location, enjoy the heat! We will stay tuned for the adventures of the house purchase.
Too bad about the U-Haul -they are famous for that trick here in Ontario too. Our DD moved apartments every year of her 6 years of university and we had trouble getting U-Haul to give us what we booked and eventually gave up on them. Luckily she didn't need one quite as big as you needed but they always had some excuse as to why we had to settle on a smaller one or a later pick-up time. U-Haul used to be, and maybe still is, quite famous for poorly maintained vehicles. Their trucks are usually all registered in Arizona to avoid strict mechanical inspections.

~Diane

Krteczech

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Towers at Mullet Bay, SXM
Silverado II, CO
Thanks for sharing your moving adventure with us, Dave. Reading it, I literally re-lived my Retirement move from Minnesota to Colorado two and half years ago. So many similarities, head aches, miles, surprises and boxes with stuff you don’t need any more. Enjoy your retirement, have a great life with Jeff at Mesquite, NV.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
@DaveNV Thanks for updating us about your move and for the big coming out story! What a surprise. I like you even more now that I know you are gay! Sorry I referred to Jeff as your wife. No problem with keeping it a secret for Jeff. I am happy that you and Jeff have retired and are starting your new life in Mesquite.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
We have a trip to Vegas coming up in September. 9/9-10/3. Hoping to do a side trip to Flagstaff, Sedona, Indio or South Shore for part of the time. The only thing we have scheduled at this point is the Nevada Northern Railway Great Basin Star Train tour up in Ely, NV on the 11th. Planning this trip is still a work in progress. If you and Jeff feel like driving to Vegas it would be great to get together. I'll pm you with my number when I get our plans finalized.

Congratulations on the move!

Dori

TUG Member
Reaction score
Cheers to you both! Enjoy the next chapter in your lives, as you settle in Nevada!

Dori

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, now that we're both retired, I can publicly confirm the information that some of you have already asked me: Yes, I'm gay.
When I read that first part where you mentioned your husband, I thought... "Oh, I didn't know Dave was polyamorous."
I chose the non-gender "spouse" term specifically to use here as a way to protect his privacy at his work.
It's so funny that I always thought you were talking about your wife if you never said wife. Maybe it's all the replies from other that said wife that stuck in my mind. At any rate, yes, we all have to be careful when mentioning too many things that make it easy for randoms on the internet to find us in real life. Of course, now, you've shown us a picture of your home. :p

Boy, I am glad you shared this moving experience. It really puts stuff into perspective of what we really need to take with us. When we moved into our current home 20 years ago, the moving company that we hired didn't show up and didn't return our calls that day. We ended up getting a Uhaul and doing it ourselves, but our move was in the same city, so a bit easier to deal with than yours. We still to this day have stuff in boxes in the garage that we moved here back then. I love to throw stuff out, but my husband has some hoarding tendencies and I often have to throw out stuff when he isn't around. I feel like I don't want to bring anything with me when we do our next move, other than whatever my dogs need.

JanT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Whoo Hoo!!! You made it! Congratulations to you and your hubby!! That was quite an adventure you had getting there but you made it and I'm so happy for y'all!! Mesquite is a really nice area!

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
Wow! What a journey! Congratulations on you and Jeff pulling it off and beginning to settle in. How great that your adored fur-babies made the trip without incident!

Having moved into 21 houses over the years, our experience has been that it wasn’t as hard to part with things if we got into the boxes right away while the moving memory was fresh. If they got put aside, into the attic or basement, which hubby was wont to do, we were less likely to ever get back to them. During this stay at home time, I‘ve been cleaning out room by room. The day we dropped a lot of stuff off at Goodwill, I felt so much lighter to no longer be owned BY them! There wasn’t a thing among them that we needed. How did I ever end up with three bundt pans and two bundt mini-cake/cup-cake pans????

Speaking of feeling so much lighter, you must feel that also by finally being able to acknowledge that your spouse is your husband. It’s easy to understand your valid reasons for that lack of clarification until now. Just know that you are dear to us here and I look forward to reading many more of the adventures of Jeff and Dave!

Glynda

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
@DaveNV We missed you!!!!! Onward to big & better things. And glad the worst is behind you.

From what I know about you on TUG, it's hard for me to imagine you getting angry. But glad to know you are human like the rest of us.

I will be anxious to hear about Mequite as you settle in, as moving to the desert is a mid-range goal for me.

XOXOXO

Thanks, Laura. I am not quick to anger, but it does happen. In this case, I'd been relying on the plans to go forward without issue, and then at the last minute they kicked me in the gut like that - it just shoved me over the edge. What angered me the most was the guy's complete disregard for what I had reserved. He just didn't care. When I asked how I was expected to pull two trailers 1300 miles with the same truck, he offered nothing at all. Not even a "Gosh, I guess that would be a problem, wouldn't it?" Nothing. Then his "Take it or leave it" comment really got to me. Others have since said U-Haul is known for this sort of treatment, but it was my first time experiencing it. And I now know it will be the last. I won't try renting from them again. :)

I'll be posting more about Mesquite as we go forward. There is a whole new life experience waiting for us here. We're excited!

Dave

Last edited:

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
@DaveNV Thanks for the detailed description and the pictures (especially like the one of you and Jim :D ). I know you are anxious to unpack and get settled, but you can take your time as long as you have something to sleep on, and something to eat off of.

Thanks! It was a very nice time spent with Jim and his wife. Thoroughly delightful people. I was so out of practice, being social again felt great. They are wonderful people with a great home in a really nice town - what's not to like? (Don't tell him I said that. He gets needy. LOL!)

Dave

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Thanks! It was a very nice time spent with Jim and his wife. Thoroughly delightful people. I was so out of practice, being social again felt great. They are wonderful people with a great home in a really nice town - what's not to like? (Don't tell him I said that. He gets needy. LOL!)

Dave
My lips are sealed. :cool:

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
@DaveNV - I started to send this privately as you requested, but I think everyone here will agree with the following.

You sir are one of the pillars of TUG. Your contributions here are equal parts meaningful, insightful, helpful, uplifting, and I look forward to your posts!
I hope things work out for y'all in Nevada and you become our expert on yet another part of the U.S.!

Thanks very much! I sincerely appreciate your kind words. I have always tried to be the kind of friend to others that I wanted for myself. Some days it works out. :)

I hope to learn and share a lot about this part of the country. I've visited around here many times, but it'll be nice living here year-round, to experience things in different seasons. It's blistering hot here right now, which I expected, but going forward that will start to change, and things will become very interesting. I'm looking forward to learning how to live here. :)

Dave

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Based on the photo of the back of that Penske truck, it looks like there was still a lot of room in there. When we moved from Ohio to Florida, we used the service that Penske up sells you to after you go through the rental process. Three guys showed up to pack out truck (even though we only paid for two). The packed that thing full! Floor to ceiling, front to back, not a single cubic foot of free space. We still had to stuff things in the trunk and back seat of our car.

Tip: Hopefully you took out full insurance on the truck. We are so happy we did. While we didn't have an issue or think we caused any damage, they sent a huge laundry list, with photos, of everything that was busted and scratched. I know I didn't cause the damage, so I don't know what kind of scam is going on there. Hopefully you took good photos and video when you droped it off.

Thanks, Jeremy. The photo was deceiving, since the leftover space was above things like flat screen TV sets and such, that we didn't want to stack anything heavy on top of. The things that didn't make it into the truck were the fragile things that needed a softer transport touch. Artwork and family treasures and such. No furniture or anything was left out. The rest was cleaning supplies and vacuum cleaners, and so forth, that were needed at the old house, as we got it ready to turn over to the real estate agents.

By the time we got to the back wall of loading the truck, I was just "done with it." It's funny - I moved so often in the military all those years, I kind of know how I think and would do things. This was a very different experience, moving after seventeen years in the same house. My sister and husband both had very different perspectives on how to pack, how to load, and deciding what was important. Rather challenging, at times.

Penske was great with the truck turn-in process. The agent was impressed at how perfect things were, no complaints, and I don't expect to get billed for damage, since there wasn't any. The truck was nearly new, just 1800 miles on it when we started, so any scuffs would have been noticeable. I think we're good to go.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.