• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

The Mount St. Helens Eruption Was the Volcanic Warning We Needed

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Pattti was a Salem Oregon Police Officer at the time. It was a beautiful morning and she was sitting in her Patrol Car writing up some Reports. Suddenly she noticed it was snowing. It does not snow in the Willamette Valley in May. It it was not snow it was Ash. Then all Patrol Cars were recalled to the Garage.

My Brother was a farmer in the Moses Lake area of Eastern Wahington. Lots of crops and equipment ruined.

Spirit Lake is still a concern. If the Plug goes lots of people and towns down river would be in serious trouble all the way to the Columbia River.

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
I distinctly remember that Sunday morning. We heard the boom all the way up here and wondered what it was. Then later in the day we watched the news and I remember seeing images of all the ash circulating and how dark it was in the middle of the day.

And then I remember six days later watching Bob Nystrom score that iconic overtime goal to help the NY Islanders win their first of four consecutive Stanley Cups.

chellej

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I had just started working at the INEL when this happened & DH was driving from Maryland to Idaho at the time...He said the dark clouds of ash in the northern plains are what amazed him the most....how far it traveled.

I worked with Dorothy Stoffel , the geologist in the article... she and her husband were flying over just minutes before the eruption and were lucky to get out with their lives. She has some amazing pictures of the eruption.

plpgma

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Palm-Aire
The Mt St Helens story fascinated me then...and it still fascinates me today. On the subject of volcanology -- yes, we are sure to be surprised again at some point in the (possibly near) future.

Beachclubmum

Reaction score
In summer of 1988 I was married and expecting our first baby. DH and I decided to drive up from San Diego to Seattle and Vancouver Island for vacation. At the last minute before leaving, an article in Sunset Magazine caught my eye. It talked about how the road up Mt. St. Helens had finally just been re-opened. We detoured on the way home to check it out. Imagine a windy, narrow one lane mountain road with occasional pull outs so cars coming the other direction could pass (thankfully there were few cars at all). When we got to the top and stepped out it felt like a nuclear war ruins. White ash everywhere and the silence....with no trees for the wind to blow through there was nothing to hear. No birds or wildlife. Just...beauty in nothingness. Definitely an experience I’ll never forget.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
We had finished a job in Sunnyside WA on Saturday but had to pick up our equipment on Sunday morning. It was going to be an easy day is what we thought. As soon as everything was loaded we heard and saw what we thought was a big storm heading our way. The storm was moving pretty fast and when it arrived it was ash and grey sand instead of rain. The lightening in the dark cloud was mesmerizing.

As we drove home to Yakima the ash came down faster and harder. It was to the point you could barely see even using the wipers. Listening to the radio we knew what had happened. By the time we made it to Yakima it looked like night out. People were freaking out.

I made it home and my wife who was pregnant with our first child met me at the door. We went in and listened to music. Some of our friends joined us. It turned into a very mild party. Some of our friends stayed the night because they lived in Seattle. The next morning we had about three inches of ash on everything. We started to shovel the ash out into the middle of the road. It was a really messy thing to deal with. There was so much ash in the Yakima area that I went to work in the Seattle area for a few months.

We still have a mayo jar of the ash that is at the depth of the ash fall.

Bill

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
I had just started working at the INEL when this happened & DH was driving from Maryland to Idaho at the time...He said the dark clouds of ash in the northern plains are what amazed him the most....how far it traveled.
How very true. I was in high school in northern Minnesota at the time, and there was a noticeable amount of ash on car hoods, etc. and we were over 1,200 miles away!

Kurt