• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

The making of Amazon Prime, the internet's most successful and devastating membership program

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Amazon is one of the reason that brick and mortar retail stores liked Radio Shack, Foot Locker, Kmart, The GAP, Lerners, Toys r Us, Best Products, Sears, j C Penny, Montgomery Wards, Pay Less Shoes, Macy’s are in trouble or they are no longer in business. IMO.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Amazon is one of the reason that brick and mortar retail stores liked Radio Shack, Foot Locker, Kmart, The GAP, Lerners, Toys r Us, Best Products, Sears, j C Penny, Montgomery Wards, Pay Less Shoes, Macy’s are in trouble or they are no longer in business. IMO.

Color me stupid if you like but this is why I do right next to no business with Amazon...

George

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
It is just what Sears Roebuck and Company did in the 1890's when they disrupted the industry with their catalog sales.

Same idea.

Bucky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Oceanwatch (2)
I surely won’t blame Amazon for realizing what the people really wanted and taking steps to meet their demands! I do fault the others for not being able to read the writing on the wall and adjusting their business plans to be able to compete.

Amazon provides fair pricing (not always the best for sure), a wide variety of just about anything you can think of compared to the limited inventory by most retailers, a no hassle return policy (typically no cost, no restocking fees, etc), fast shipping (2 days, soon moving to one), no store hour to worry about, no traffic getting to their store, no rude people elbowing them while they shop, etc, etc,etc.

Amazon saw e-commerce as the future. The others saw it as a passing fancy! Brick and mortar stores lost sight of the carrot. Game over.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.

It is NOT that I disagree with the overall thrust of this statement but I think it is equally (if not more so) important to remember the businesses listed here FAILED to adapt to the changing times.
Businesses have (and will continue to) failed throughout the history of retail because they believed what they were doing and how they were doing it did not need to evolve. This could otherwise be called the Ma Bell theory.....

If I did not already know JC Penney was in a death spiral, a recent visit to a store confirmed that belief for me. While the store was reasonably stocked, there were so few employees in the store to wait on customers that long check out lines were the norm. Several registers - including the catalog pick desk - were shut down and all customers were instructed to use the one set of registers open at the front of the store even for catalog pickup needs. While this certainly appears to be very similar to the Wal Mart approach, the quality and type of items offered by JC Penney simply do not compete with the prices found elsewhere. Shopping in store has become a hassle everywhere and unless you have the lowest prices (or some compelling attraction) the Amazon's and Wal Mart's of the world are eating you alive. It is survival of the fittest and the most adaptable in the world of retail as it always has been. The pace of change is what has increased in recent years..

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score

Understand that business is business. The main objective of these corporations is to make money by providing good/services. Jeff Bezos saw a need and created a company that worked to fulfill that need, much like Henry Ford, Jack Welch, Steve Jobs, Michael Dell, etc. Any business succeeds by satisfying it's customers by providing them satisfactory products and services.

Don't blame Amazon for the failure of other corporations to change in order to meet those needs. Blame the others for failing not to keep up with an ever changing market.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
How many of the big chains started failing after they were taken over by Investment Types vice Retailers?

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I was always a big catalog shopper back in the day. I easily adapted to on line shopping. Most things I have only found on-line- even on websites for Sears, Macy's and JC Penny. Could not find the things in the physical stores.

Got all my new kitchen appliances online through Sears - all the models rated highly on Consumer Reports. No physical store had any of them.

I love Amazon. I can't find things we need in the retail stores and I can look for hours-waste time. Nope- I order on Amazon most all the time.

Example- I needed another light weight robe for the upcoming season. But I like it down to my ankles and long sleeves for summer due to air conditioning. Try to find one in a store. Nope. Amazon- yup! $29.99.

I wanted a knee pillow for when I sleep but didn't want to spend $30. Went on Amazon- found a great one for $11.

Needed a replacement filter for our home water system, but didn't want to spend $44 or more since it needs replacing every three months. Went on Amazon- found one for $15.99.

All came to my door Friday afternoon.

Did I mention I can reorder hard to get items on Alexa just by asking?

Just recently my husband wanted to buy that Bengay like product called "HEET". No stores had it. Amazon had it- but way expensive. Found it on Walgreens- on-line only for $9 and had it shipped free to the Walgreens near my husbands workplace.

It's a new world. Adapt.

I am now thinking of maybe getting an inexpensive robot vacuum. Where?- on Amazon. The price just went down $40 from yesterday.

Last edited:

breezez

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WorldMark 39K
Wyndham 406K
RCI Points 196K
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Hyatt Coconut Plantation
Business needs to adapt to the needs / demands of the customers those that don't will not survive. Those that do will flourish. Trust me there are things I don't like about Amazon... But 80% of my purchases on items other than food come from them. Remember when Walmart was first founded there claim to fame was MADE IN AMERICA, you won't find to many made in America products in Walmart now.

Unlike any generation before in our time, our society is all about convenience, everyone wants to be serviced, this is why people eat out, get someone else to mow the grass, someone to trim their hand and toe nails, clean their house etc. Amazon is catering to that convenience factor.

They are not always the cheapest, but they are almost always the fastest with competitive pricing.

At holiday times I don't have to go shop the mad house stores to then wait in line at the post office to spend more than my gift was worth to send it. I just have amazon send it free under my prime account. If I feel so inclined they will even gift wrap the item for me for a reasonable price.

In our area you can get Prime Now where they typically will deliver stuff in around 2 hours during daylight hours. This is good for last minute grocery items, batteries and other items you may need but don't feel like running to the store for. Heck I have even had them deliver one of my favorite IPA's "Elysian's Space Dust" and they can bring it cheaper than my local grocery store has it.

Amazon did have some help in the way they crushed their competition from the onset. Because what originally gave them great appeal was the no sales tax being collected. Now they collect tax almost every where, so this advantage was lost, but the damage to competitors was already done.

So what areas will Amazon disrupt next. I see 3 large ones. Groceries - In large metro areas I expect them to put a hurting on the grocery chains... You have start ups like SHIPT that provide delivery services, but these are done at prices more expensive than buying in the stores. I see them with their warehousing and new grey delivery trucks rolling being able to deliver stuff and at prices competitive if not cheaper than your local grocery store. Package Delivery Service - Look out UPS, FEDEX, and USPS. Amazon will be coming after you guys soon... Once they get a good amount of those Amazon Delivery Trucks around the country, not only will Amazon be delivering your prime packages in 1 day.... But I look to see them offset their costs by being a shipping carrier also.. Prescription Drugs - with 50% of American's taking some form of drug on a daily basis this is to lucrative not to be involved in. So I for sure see them getting involved in this area.

Just my two cents worth!

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
So what areas will Amazon disrupt next. I see 3 large ones. Groceries - In large metro areas I expect them to put a hurting on the grocery chains... You have start ups like SHIPT that provide delivery services, but these are done at prices more expensive than buying in the stores. I see them with their warehousing and new grey delivery trucks rolling being able to deliver stuff and at prices competitive if not cheaper than your local grocery store. Package Delivery Service - Look out UPS, FEDEX, and USPS. Amazon will be coming after you guys soon... Once they get a good amount of those Amazon Delivery Trucks around the country, not only will Amazon be delivering your prime packages in 1 day.... But I look to see them offset their costs by being a shipping carrier also.. Prescription Drugs - with 50% of American's taking some form of drug on a daily basis this is to lucrative not to be involved in. So I for sure see them getting involved in this area.
Amazon really doesn't even need their own delivery trucks. With Amazon Flex, they get regular Joe's to use their own vehicles to delivery the packages for them. No real big need to invest in a lot of overhead when you can do it by just paying a service fee to those that deliver your packages for you.

breezez

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WorldMark 39K
Wyndham 406K
RCI Points 196K
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Hyatt Coconut Plantation
Amazon really doesn't even need their own delivery trucks. With Amazon Flex, they get regular Joe's to use their own vehicles to delivery the packages for them. No real big need to invest in a lot of overhead when you can do it by just paying a service fee to those that deliver your packages for you.
They are actually spending over 800 Million according to their last investor conference call. I live in Tampa metro area and I now see more Amazon vans moving around than UPS fans.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
In the past I almost always went to the stores to buy what I needed. It seems more and more store do not have what I need and now most of my shopping is done online.

I have a prime account with Amazon and do a large chunk of my shopping with them but recently have seen many companies that are starting to compete online.

Whereas as many prices are lower on Amazon then other places, many prices are also higher then other places. If prices are the same I will go with who gets it to me the fastest.

Recently I put online orders in with CVS and Walmart and they were just as fast as Amazon with delivery.

bobpark56

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
you're hoping Monkey Wards and Sears are going to make a huge comeback with the catalogs !
Hmmmm...Has the lack of those today hurt the outhouse business?

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Even some groceries I will buy on Amazon because our supermarket seems to have less and less of the items I wamt. When they remodeled the store recently they crammed their shelves so tight I can't find stuff anymore. And now the cash registers have short platforms and they made several into self checkouts. Lines are longer and cramped. Forget it. If it wasn't for the cold and fresh food items (and our store does not even have good produce), I would do all our food shopping on line as well.

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
Going online and shopping the entire world, and getting exactly what you want at the lowest price, instead of driving to several stores, running around, not finding what you really want, and settling for something you don't want, at a high price, is the best thing since, well, Al Gore's Internet thing.

Regarding the relentless, nefarious effort to sell Prime, about three weeks ago I found exactly what I had been looking for, at the lowest price, on Amazon, and it said free 2-day shipping, no mention of Prime. When I went to my shopping cart, that free 2-day shipping was no longer an option. There were two options on Prime, then a line, then one non-Prime option. I chose the Non-Prime option, and ordered.

Whattya know, I immediately got a welcome to Prime email. I called and a nice lady who seemed to already know exactly what happened said she would set my Prime account so it would not automatically renew after the 30 day free period.

Then, later, DW said she would probably like all the free stuff on Prime. She looked, to see what she could get during the free period, and did not find anything.

I have always had great service from third-party Amazon vendors, including two laptops. Those vendors bend over backwards to stay on the good side of Amazon.

Speaking bricks and mortar, I look at Bass Pro, and how successful they are, and wonder if that will be the case in 20 years.

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Business needs to adapt to the needs / demands of the customers those that don't will not survive. Those that do will flourish.
My small town has had ups and down for its retail stores. Ten years ago it was a destination for bus trips, a wide territory of shoppers, etc. The businesses met some niche markets. It was a charming place to visit. Then some store owners got arrogant and broke away from the local business consortium that cooperated in promoting everyone as well as the town itself. Of course, the bickering became public. Store owners had fall-outs, moved away, sold their business, relocated, etc. A different time was coming. New businesses have come in. A few are highly successful, but mostly our downtown is dead.
What I have seen is that the owners set up shop with something THEY love, not what consumers want. Right now there is a store featuring country decor. That look disappeared decades ago. One restaurant sold expensive vendor items but had a limited menu and hours. Who wants to buy a scarf when you go in for organic sandwiches and coffee? That place just closed.
When a tattoo shop leases a prime retail spot, you know you are in trouble.
We have some solid longtime family owned businesses that are flourishing. They tailor to a specific audience and have adapted to the times. Entrepreneurs need to find out what the public wants, and go after that. This town can thrive again!

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Amazon has spawned whole new industries and provided jobs for people in the lower social/economic rungs of society that do not need much training - porch pirates.

Brett

Reaction score
Amazon has spawned whole new industries and provided jobs for people in the lower social/economic rungs of society that do not need much training - porch pirates.

porch pirates !
:(

Amazon gives us low prices, good products, good service and fast delivery but for low-level Amazon workers-

https://www.wsj.com/articles/for-lower-paid-workers-the-robot-overlords-have-arrived-11556719323

yes, you probably can't view the entire article but Amazon (and other companies) use "AI" software to evaluate employee performance and if you don't measure up ................ a computer fires you!

Last edited:

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
porch pirates !
:(

Amazon gives us low prices, good products, good service and fast delivery but for low-level Amazon workers-

https://www.wsj.com/articles/for-lower-paid-workers-the-robot-overlords-have-arrived-11556719323

yes, you probably can't view the entire article but Amazon (and other companies) use "AI" software to evaluate employee performance and if you don't measure up ................ a computer fires you!

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

If you do your job as you're paid to do, chances are you keep your job. If you don't, you lose your job. In the old days, though, the process
was less fair, as a human might show favoritism. Amazon, like most large corporations, is in a very competitive business. They must constantly innovate and make their employees as productive as possible. There's nothing less frustrating than working hard and having another employee not, but getting paid the same.

Here's another link.
https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-05-01/amazon-employees-hired-and-fired-robots

Big Brother is Watching
"Those robots do not care about someone's race. They only care about performance."

"If you are supposed to handle x packages per minute, and you underperform, goodbye."

"One huge advantage for employers having robots fire people is the process will stop discrimination lawsuits. As a side benefit companies can get rid of higher paid employees who used to make these decisions."

As for our "Porch Pirates", they have been a problem since home delivery of any item has been an option. We can't lay that solely at Amazon's door, so to speak. :thumbup: