• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

The Grand Mayan in Mazatlan

mesaman

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are in MAZ now and have an offer to attend at T/S presentation at the Grand Mayan here. I don't find this resort on here or on Trip Advisor? Has anyone heard of it? Is it a new resort? How about the Mayans in other cities?

Steve

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
There is not a Grand Mayan in Mazatlan. They built a model on the grounds and say they are going to build one. I have no idea where, as they are basically land-locked. We were there in February 2008 and stayed in the new Mayan Palace building that is on the grounds. It is very small for a MP. This resort is basically a Sea Garden - their first resort. The only way they could add a GM would be to tear down a Sea Garden building. The pools are very small for a Grupo Mayan property and the beach is only about 300 feet long. The palapas on the beach front are so close together that you have no privacy what-so-ever. My husband nicknamed it the "seal beach".

We own at both MP & GM, but would not consider this as a potential Grand Mayan property.

mesaman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. In looking closer at the reservation slip, while it says "The Grand Mayan" on the top, the finer print says, "To enjoy a guided tour and presentation of the exclusive Grupo Mayan vacation ownership program...." Also, the map this lady gave us shows that it is the Hotel Mayan Sea Garden. It is on the north end on AV. Sabalo Cerritos. This is our first trip here so not that familiar with the area.

We probably won't go to the presentation. We didn't make a commitment.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
For a good meal - take the Sabalo Cerritos bus to the end of the line. Playa Bruha is very good and on the beach. You walk to the beach past the RV park and Bi-lingal horse place. There is also a really good hamburger place in the strip center called Last Chance.

stopfraud

Reaction score
Congratulations, mesaman! You are the first person I came across on a forum who asked for information BEFORE going to a presentation, not after when it might be too late. If you did not go to the presentation, good for you! If you did go but got away without signing a contract: even better! If you signed a contract, please read below, and ACT RIGHT AWAY!

First, but very briefly because I don't want to waste the time: pittle was right in everything. He seems to be very knowledgeable. I can tell you a lot more about Mayan in Mazatlan because we were there already three times, the last time in December, 2008.

The Grupo Mayan runs the most aggressive, deceitful, fraudulent, and shameless time share sale operation imaginable. Their sales people are trained to mislead you, lie to you, intimidate you, coerce you, trick you into buying time shares from them in any imaginable way - and some which you can't even imagine! They will not let you go away, they will tire you out, until you give up and sign. (It is not really the first person who sits down with you, he/she does not know all the tricks, but the second, third, etc. who will join him/her if you balk or try to walk out at any time.) They will promise you the stars - almost all of which will be blatant lies. Note that on of the items they as you to initial on the sign-off sheet is that: "I have not received or relied on any promise , offer or inducement of any kind, oral or written not set forth in my contract." And the Contract, when you eventually will get only list that you bought e.g one registered and one vacation fair week at the level they were able to talk you into. And they are very careful to protect themselves legally.
Note that they will not let anyone else sit with you at the presentation, they will not let you keep any piece of paper on which they wrote anything, you will find that anything you wrote down will miraculously disappear, etc.

They told us that they do not sell GM anymore and duped us (how stupid can one get?) into buying their latest "invention", the Grand Bliss (which as of now only exists on paper and a model unit).

Now what can you do if you signed? They might have told you (as they told us too) that you can not get back the money you put down. This is also a lie. According to Mexican law you can cancel within five days - but it is not easy and you have to do everything what is required exactly. You can find information on www.ripoffreport.com). If, by the time you are within the 5 days, you might try it. However, be prepared for rudeness, ridiculing, and no cooperation (obstacles, delays, etc.) from Mayan. There is not much you can do after five days. Good luck! Let us know what happened.