• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

The Grand Bliss Rivera Maya or The Grand Mayan?

ValHam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Which one? Does the Grand Bliss Have a balcony or patio? What are the rooms like at the Bliss Jungle - Do they have a balcony with lounger? Trying to choose. Thanks

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'd take Grand Bliss over Grand Mayan or Bliss units any day, but that's me.
For Riviera Maya the GB buildings are further away from the "main" pool. But I like the upgraded accommodations.
You can go to the Vidanta website and look at the floor plans.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
When the Grand Bliss was first built, we owned Grand Mayan and Mayan Palace units and I could not understand why anyone would upgrade. We used an exchange with RCI that was expiring in 2013. The units are about the same size, but we did like the Grand Bliss better once we exchanged in. I was not a fan of the 2 small MP frigs under the island, but it works OK - we used one for food and one for beverages. There is a lot of space for your groceries and other supplies. We really like the large round lounger on the deck. It was awesome for reading.

When we stayed 2 weeks at RM GB on another exchange in 2018, we had a first floor unit and it was just like having a totally private area. At RM, no one really has an ocean view, so our spot was really nice for just the 2 of us. We had a 2-bedroom unit.

Because we would not do the update meeting, we were not allowed to use the Beach Club. We own 2 GL registered weeks by then and do not plan to upgrade, so did not want to spend the better half of a day just to use the Beach Club. We really like sitting on the beach under a Palapa better than hanging out at a pool so it was OK. It was just the principle of the thing! We owned at a higher level but were punished because we exchanged in! Sometimes exchangers can use the Beach Club and other times not. They are not consistent!

The balcony may be a foot wider than the GM balcony.

Check my photo link in my signature for 2013 NV and 2018 RM - I did not take many pics of the unit since I took quite a few in 2013. It was the sane.

Last edited:

rpennisi

Reaction score
I would take the Grand Bliss over the Grand Mayan, unless you were given the Grand Mayan buildings 1-8.
More than likely you would get the Grand Mayan Jungle, buildings 9-13. In that case the Grand Bliss alongside the Grand Mayan Jungle is the better way to go.
You also mentioned Bliss, but that is just a slightly upgraded Mayan Palace, very different from Grand Bliss.

Ron

ValHam

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would take the Grand Bliss over the Grand Mayan, unless you were given the Grand Mayan buildings 1-8.
More than likely you would get the Grand Mayan Jungle, buildings 9-13. In that case the Grand Bliss alongside the Grand Mayan Jungle is the better way to go.
You also mentioned Bliss, but that is just a slightly upgraded Mayan Palace, very different from Grand Bliss.

Ron
I would be booking the Grand Bliss on a getaway - Would they let me use the beach club? What is the difference in the Grand Bliss and Bliss Jungle - Wow - such a place.
Thanks everyone

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would be booking the Grand Bliss on a getaway - Would they let me use the beach club? What is the difference in the Grand Bliss and Bliss Jungle - Wow - such a place.
Thanks everyone

It depends. RM constantly changes their rules. Pre-COVID only folks staying on an *owners week* could use Beach Club. RCI/II/SFX were not owners weeks. Even during low season (like "hurricane season") they would not relent. Unless you took the 4-5 hour presentation.

However, I think they're still at 50% capacity, so they *may* let you use the beach club, but I wouldn't count on it.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
Thanks everyone
Huge difference in Grand Bliss and Bliss. The Grand Bliss has a great balcony and 2 under counter refrigerators, wonderful bathrooms with walk-in shower and stand alone tub. Bliss has no balcony - standing room only and 1 under counter refrigerator and bathroom is tub shower combo. The hierarchy at RM is MP/Bliss, Grand Mayan, Grand Bliss, Deluxxe, Grand Luxxe.

Deluxxe units are by the Jungula water park. They were originally built to be Mayan Palace, but never completed so they retro-fitted them to be Deluxxe. No dipping pool but somewhat of a balcony. A former 2-bedroom space is now a 1 bedroom with 2 bathrooms and a sitting room off to the side with a sofa bed by the small balcony.

Last edited:

rpennisi

Reaction score
Thanks everyone
Grand Bliss is a cut above the Grand Mayan whereas Bliss Jungle is just a bit better than Mayan Palace. Bliss buildings are repurposed Mayan Palace buildings with some furniture upgrades.
Go Grand Bliss in Riviera Maya or Nuevo Vallarta.

Ron

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
A former 2-bedroom space is not a 1 bedroom with 2 bathrooms and a sitting room off to the side with a sofa bed by the small balcony.

Think you mean "... is now...."

We stayed in one of the Deluxxe (formerly Grand Luxxe Jungle) units a few years ago prior to the completion of Jungula. They are fairly decent, but no where near Grand Luxxe in quality. There was a fairly small balcony you could walk onto and use a hanging chair, but no plunge pool. No idea if there's any noise from Jungula, but it's convenient if you plan on going there.

Bottom line for me is that I would go Grand Bliss rather than Grand Mayan and suggest asking for an upgrade to Grand Luxxe with Beach Club access in exchange for attending a sales pitch if OP is at all willing to endure one.

ilene13

TUG Member
Reaction score
It depends. RM constantly changes their rules. Pre-COVID only folks staying on an *owners week* could use Beach Club. RCI/II/SFX were not owners weeks. Even during low season (like "hurricane season") they would not relent. Unless you took the 4-5 hour presentation.

However, I think they're still at 50% capacity, so they *may* let you use the beach club, but I wouldn't count on it.
We exchanged into the GL 5 times preCovid and we were allowed to use the Beach Club. In addition we were there high season.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
We exchanged into the GL 5 times preCovid and we were allowed to use the Beach Club. In addition we were there high season.

Interesting. I've got emails from Vidanta as well as my guests stating repeatedly that Exchangers are not allowed to use:
Beach Club
Grand Luxxe Pool
Burger Custom Made

Now, you can *eat* at the Beach Club, but even pre-COVID for October, Nov. Dec. and Jan, we were all told repeatedly "no soup for you". And they actively enforced the Beach Club rule (kicked some folks out one day).

ilene13

TUG Member
Reaction score
Our last year exchanging in was 2018. We stopped exchanging in when they started to limit the amenities and charge resort fees. Honestly I resent that they limit these amenities- I own at resorts that are as nice or nicer(Marriott and Royal Resorts) my maintenance fees are very high, yet they do not charge resort fees and exclude exchangers from amenities.

Last edited:

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
Our last year exchanging in was 2018. We stopped exchanging in when they started to limit the amenities and charge resort fees. Honestly I resent that they limit these amenities- I own at resorts that are as nice or nicer(Marriott and Royal Resorts) my maintenance fees are very high, yet they do not charge resort fees and exclude exchangers from amenities.
We went in May 2018. As I said we did exchange 2 Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay weeks for 2 Grand Bliss weeks, even though we own 2 Grand Luxxe weeks. It was much less expensive than using our ownership weeks and we needed to use those deposited weeks. We went to celebrate out 50th Anniversary. They knew that we were long time owners and I had our GL ID cards. When we exchanged in at NV over the years we have gotten "Owner" colored wrist bands, but not in RM. They said that if we would take the update presentation, they would change out wrist bands. We said no thank you. It was not just the front desk staff - we went to Customer Services and they just said that if we wanted all benefits, we had to come as owners!

I am disappointed in how guests are treated at RM. It sends a bad message and why would they want to buy? Then for folks like us who have spend quite a bit, but just came to use up use or lose exchanges from another place, they treat you poorly.

We will not go back to RM.

guitarlars

TUG Member
Reaction score
As someone else noted, if you can get GM buildings 1-9 I would take the GM. I found the Grand Bliss to be very nice, but the concierge is never at the station and the wait for trams is VERY long. If you're up for a long walk the the GB is a bit nicer, but not that much nicer and far from the pools, restaurants and activities.

We no longer go as Vidanta fees have risen to the point where we can't justify the cost (my timeshare, Vidanta fees, trade fee, etc. - cheaper and easier to just rent). I feel like they are killing the golden goose by milking the traders and then treating traders like second class citizens.

Opinion only, but really, why do I want to go to your exclusive little beach club? The pool is relatively small and the music stinks. At least, unlike Cabo, they don't have the entire local young punk population traipsing in and out of the resort to go to the Beach Club (throwing up in the bushes and everything) and listen to house music at excessively high volumes. We won't go back to Cabo just because the beach club ruined it for us.

monicar

Reaction score
We no longer go as Vidanta fees have risen to the point where we can't justify the cost (my timeshare, Vidanta fees, trade fee, etc. - cheaper and easier to just rent). I feel like they are killing the golden goose by milking the traders and then treating traders like second class citizens.
We are trying to rent from owners and I am worried that besides the regular price I pay to the owner , we will go there and will get hit by high resort fees. The owner we are looking to buy from called and reported that there are no fees, but I am reading about other that paid a lot. Is it any advice you can give us please? How about internet?

rpennisi

Reaction score
We are trying to rent from owners and I am worried that besides the regular price I pay to the owner , we will go there and will get hit by high resort fees. The owner we are looking to buy from called and reported that there are no fees, but I am reading about other that paid a lot. Is it any advice you can give us please? How about internet?
If you rent from an owner, you don't get charged the high resort fees. Probably only for local taxes (3%) in Pesos, not dollars. In dollars it is very little compared to resort fees.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
No resort fee if you rent from a Vidanta owner . The owner has paid MF - so no need for a resort fee.

FYI - the resort fee that exchangers are charged is because the deposits into RCI - Intervals- etc are almost all developer weeks.
Vidanta contracts since 2006 have the MF on use only feature ,so very few owners pay MF & deposit to exchanges. Developer weeks
need income to cover "hotel side " operational overhead.

monicar

Reaction score
No resort fee if you rent from a Vidanta owner . The owner has paid MF - so no need for a resort fee.
If you rent from an owner, you don't get charged the high resort fees. Probably only for local taxes (3%) in Pesos, not dollars. In dollars it is very little compared to resort fees.
Thank you all for answer! that is great!

BagsArePacked

TUG Member
Reaction score
Appreciate the advice, I would also be interested in renting from a TUG owner. Please pm me. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk