• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

The first of my favorite restaurants bites the dust

PcflEZFlng

TUG Member
Reaction score
As a result, I doubt that I will ever buy a restaurant or specific-store gift card ever again. VISA, MasterCard, or AmEx gift cards should be OK. But if you're holding a store gift card, and that store goes out of business, I suppose your gift card is toast.
Agree on the risks for store cards. I'm reminded of when we bought a department store gift card for $100 in 1996, put it away and forgot about it. About six years later, we remembered it and decided to shop at that store and use the card. But, they declined the card because it had a 5-year expiration date on it. We argued that the expiration wasn't valid because California consumer protection law had changed by the time of the five-year mark to not allow gift card expirations. At first they balked, but we were ultimately successful when we insisted on speaking to a manager, who agreed that we were correct and that they had to honor the card.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
I've eaten at the The Sweet Tomatoes, which is owned by this same company in Naples

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Blue cheese - butter milk is the secret ingredient. You could experiment with adding mayo (not for me, thanks) or sour cream (also not for me). Once upon a time, I worked in a restaurant and made the dressings. Blue cheese is one of my favorites. Marzetti gets it right with CHUNKS.
I liked blue cheese on pizza, hamburgers and a good cold salad. LOL.

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Three chain restaurants near our subdivision have closed permanently at these locations.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
I also hate making salads. But I use the already washed greens, and grape tomatoes cut in half to make it faster. Olives come straight out of a jar, and feta comes already crumbled in the little package. And of course those little fried onions. You just sprinkle them on. Yum. Yum. Yum.

At any rate, what my *real* prep secret is, is having my husband make the salad :p He even makes homemade dressing!
I bought a ceramic blade slicer, I can quickly add onion, cucumber, red bell pepper, radish to my salad. I add black olives, sunflower kernels, mung bean sprouts and grape tomatoes to a base of spring greens which are washed and ready to use. Takes about 5 minutes to make.
d8a04575-e372-46e1-bd52-f9609191a7c6_1.323063e30490c062d9c9c072d714c112.jpeg

This is my other favorite food prep toy

Last edited:

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
We received the email from Souplantation yesterday. We had one location locally, and it was always busy.

Souplantation typically offered a deal each year shortly before Christmas. If you bought a gift card ($50, if I remember), you would get a voucher for a free meal. Since we liked the place, I used to take advantage of the deal. So this bankruptcy has several ramifications:

1. This is the end of one easy Christmas present that I was able to buy for my wife. Darn. Christmas gets more difficult.
2. We still have about $40 left on one remaining Souplantation gift card. According to the email, we are out of luck unless there is some remedy through bankruptcy court. As a result, I doubt that I will ever buy a restaurant or specific-store gift card ever again. VISA, MasterCard, or AmEx gift cards should be OK. But if you're holding a store gift card, and that store goes out of business, I suppose your gift card is toast.

I also bought a $100 gift card last Christmas and have about $50 dollar left. I am bummed as this is the first restaurant gift card I bought in the last 15-20 years and probably won’t buy again. We are sorry that it has closed for good as we really enjoy the soups there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
My son is hounding me to puck a restaurant for a mother’s day gift certificate. This is another reason not to get one. Plus when you order curbside sometimes they don’t take them if they want you to pay in advance. Plus I know I have electronic iTunes gifts and others and no idea how much or how to access them. If I don’t have a physical thing, sometimes I’ll forget about it.
do I sound like Scrooge?

Last edited:

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Be prepared for your favorites of everything to close down permanently.

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Be prepared for your favorites of everything to close down permanently.

Pretty much. It was just announced in our province yesterday that the 101-year-old department store chain Army & Navy is permanently shutting down. It was originally temporarily shut down due to the pandemic but it was decided now to permanently do so. We had that department store here long before Wal Mart.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Ruby Tuesday, Applebee’s and Rib City. Just at the estero location and Perkins will be closing too
I have never heard of Rib City, but the other two were struggling in good times. Several Applebees had closed already. I think they were already a lost cause and this just drove in the last nail. Same for Ruby Tuesday's. The current situation will knock off the low hanging fruit. Apparently Bloomin Brands (Outback, Carrabba's, Bonefish Grill) has been having issues over the last few years. There are many others. Far too much competition in a market with very thin margins.

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Ruby Tuesday, Applebee’s and Rib City. Just at the estero location and Perkins will be closing too
It's sometimes easy to be critical of people who have 'a lot of money ' but reading this post reminds me that many small investors own a slice of the commercial property that houses this type of restaurant. I've wondered for years about the potential losses when shopping malls cease to exist. Covid-19 may cause some to implode.

geekette

Reaction score
It's sometimes easy to be critical of people who have 'a lot of money ' but reading this post reminds me that many small investors own a slice of the commercial property that houses this type of restaurant. I've wondered for years about the potential losses when shopping malls cease to exist. Covid-19 may cause some to implode.
Yes, and I have been troubled for a few years by the high rate of REIT investment retirees were piling into. Those that went farther than moderate exposure, seeking high yields that REITs offer, could be in deep doo doo. I further have concerns for those that decided to be landlords in the past few years, buying duplexes, apartment buildings, etc. It would take a generous retiree to allow rent skipping for tenants suddenly unemployed or permanently without their breadwinner, and seriously unlikely if they were counting on all of those rent payments.

Absolutely valid concern you raised. Real estate is not always the best investment asset, regardless of how profitable it looked not long ago. Diversify. Do not follow the herd.