• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

The End of Day Light Saving Time

IngridN

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts: Aruba Surf Club, Grand Chateau, Shadow Ridge
Our microwave insists that we input the date EVERY TIME WE CHANGE THE TIME. Why does it need to know the date? I HAVE NO FRICKIN' CLUE. It's also the appliance in our house that is most sensitive to power flashes, so we tend to have to change the time on it way more frequently than the stove or other clocks. *sigh*

I guess it made sense to some Japanese programmer somewhere...

We have a lot of power blips to which our old microwave was very sensitive. Unless you reset the time, the microwave wouldn't work!!! Part of our instructions for the cat/house sitter!

geoand

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Washington State voted to end DST here, but I guess Congress has to approve it? Seems odd, since it’s State business. So we turned clocks back again this morning.

Dave
Dave, my memory ain’t what it used to be, but I thought we voted to have DST full time

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Dave, my memory ain’t what it used to be, but I thought we voted to have DST full time

Probably. It was one way or the other, right? Just that we wouldn’t change twice every year.

Dave

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
The good news is I only had to change about 3 clocks and 2 watches. Most change automatically.

Bingo! I don't see why so many people now complain about changing clocks. Most do so automatically like on our cell phones. As for clocks that have to be changed manually, how hard is it to do so? It takes about 10 seconds.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Bingo! I don't see why so many people now complain about changing clocks. Most do so automatically like on our cell phones. As for clocks that have to be changed manually, how hard is it to do so? It takes about 10 seconds.
You must not have to change one on a stove, or microwave. Or have the horrors of changing one in a car. My sister said her Subaru is so complex she takes it to the dealer to have the clock changed.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
You must not have to change one on a stove, or microwave. Or have the horrors of changing one in a car. My sister said her Subaru is so complex she takes it to the dealer to have the clock changed.
I do all of those, and they each take at most 15 seconds.

Kurt

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
If you have to get out an owners manual or do a google search to set a clock - it's way too complicated.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Love my 19 year old PT Cruiser--there are two indentations for the hour and minute that are meant for the tip of a ballpoint pen. Dearly departed Chevy Venture required getting the manual out twice a year. I believe the Ford Escape (which has a very user unfriendly radio) has a clock setting in the menu, but I don't usually drive it so I leave that to Cliff.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Some are definitely easier than others. Obviously those clocks that are linked to either internet or the Nat'l Time standard clock are easist. Then my Toyota pickup with hour and minute buttons. Then thermostats with + & - on a rocker switch. The Mr. Coffee is OK in Spring with a button you hold and it advances the time one or 10 minutes at a time, but is a PITA to advance 23 hours in the Fall. My bedside clock radio has a DST switch- easy-peasy. The I don't mess with the sprinklers because by the time they'er on again it will be Spring.

If I waited for DW to reset the clocks, they wouldn't get changed. "Why bother, it'll be Spring soon enough."

Jim

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
I do all of those, and they each take at most 15 seconds.

Kurt
I see an opportunity for a small business ;)

Btw, I can also reset clocks. I also don't understand the fuss. When you get up with the sun instead of the "time" not much changes when we have the time change. While I have to drive home in the dark (not a fan) that is offset by being able to wake up naturally with the sun, so I call it even.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have owned 3 Subarus and remember having to change the time from the screen. Not intuitive but also not horrific. With the Lexus, I also have to breakout the manual to figure it out.

Last edited:

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It's not me, it's my sister. If you want to dispute her go right ahead. My Honda CR-V changes automatically.
Nothing to dispute (not sure why you thought that...). I just demonstrated that instructions for changing vehicle clocks are easily available via a quick Google search and that I could never see myself going to a dealer to have the clock changed. Changing clocks is not a horrific event to me; surprised some people feel it is.

Kurt

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Nothing to dispute (not sure why you thought that...). I just demonstrated that instructions for changing vehicle clocks are easily available via a quick Google search and that I could never see myself going to a dealer to have the clock changed. Changing clocks is not a horrific event to me; surprised some people feel it is.

Kurt
I didn't say my sister couldn't find the instructions to change the clock in her Forester. What my sister said was that when she bought the car they showed her how to change the clock, it required a lot of steps and she felt that for her it was less aggravation to go back to the dealer.

Last edited:

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Still surprised there are people that would go through the trouble of driving to the dealer to have a clock changed. To me, that is like calling an electrician to change a light bulb. Seems overkill to me, but I'm sure there are people who do it.

So back to the original topic, I would support staying on DST all year. I'd much rather have the daylight shifted to the later hours vs. the morning.

Kurt

Beachclubmum

Reaction score
I have a 2001 car that changes automatically. The only problem is, it changes according to the old schedule, so there's always a period of time where it's off by an hour. No way to manually adjust it that I've been able to figure out.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
My Jeep has Apple CarPlay in it. The other day when I plugged my iPhone into the cable, the clock updated automatically. Yeah! One less hassle.

Don’t ask me about the stove, two microwaves, programmed coffee pot, home security alarm, thermostat, outdoor temperature/weather station, and four analog clocks I had to manually change...

Dave

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Still surprised there are people that would go through the trouble of driving to the dealer to have a clock changed. To me, that is like calling an electrician to change a light bulb. Seems overkill to me, but I'm sure there are people who do it.

So back to the original topic, I would support staying on DST all year. I'd much rather have the daylight shifted to the later hours vs. the morning.

Kurt
I agree. I couldn't care less about "more" light in the morning, as it's useless to me. I am getting ready for and going to work at least 5 days a week; I don't need sunlight for this.

Extended light in the evenings is useful to me: sports games, practices, swims at the beach, jogging, other outdoor activities. If it got dark at 6 now, instead of 5, lots of money would be saved by youth sports leagues on light fees at parks and schools.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a 2001 car that changes automatically. The only problem is, it changes according to the old schedule, so there's always a period of time where it's off by an hour. No way to manually adjust it that I've been able to figure out.
That is my old and still in use radio clock in my bedroom at my son's house. I was delighted when I showed up this week that the clock had automatically adjusted. If it was last week when I made the trip it would have been off by an hour.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
That is my old and still in use radio clock in my bedroom at my son's house. I was delighted when I showed up this week that the clock had automatically adjusted. If it was last week when I made the trip it would have been off by an hour.
I've seen some clock radios in hotels that have a toggle switch on the back where you can flip it to switch to DST or Standard Time. If I ever have to buy a new clock radio I'm looking for one of those. :)

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
My 2014 Silverado change automatically. It also changes when we change time zones on long trips.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent