• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

The Documentary "Free Solo" has limited screenings; what does that mean for me?

Egret1986

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7775622/

Follow Alex Honnold as he becomes the first person to ever free solo climb Yosemite's 3,000ft high El Capitan Wall. With no ropes or safety gear, he completed arguably the greatest feat in rock climbing history.

I would love to see this documentary. I know that he survived it, but it will still be very "chilling" to watch. Oh my gosh! :eek:

I had hoped that it was coming to an IMAX theater in my area this weekend. It's listed on the two local IMAX theaters' websites; however, there's no tickets or schedules listed. My area isn't listed on the National Geographic website for screenings. I had hoped to share this with my husband this weekend as part of his birthday. I know that he would love to see this.

Do I just have to wait until it's available for streaming or whatever some time in the future?

My other alternative is Halloween (because his birthday is near Halloween and he used to have a thing for Jamie Lee Curtis...perhaps he still does, and it's playing at our very favorite movie theater.) I'm thinking of following that up with a Haunted Hayride, Field of Screams and the Village of the Dead held each year at a local farm. We've never done it. It could be fun and different.

Are there any options for us to see Free Solo this weekend that I'm missing? :)

Brett

Reaction score
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7775622/

Follow Alex Honnold as he becomes the first person to ever free solo climb Yosemite's 3,000ft high El Capitan Wall. With no ropes or safety gear, he completed arguably the greatest feat in rock climbing history.

I would love to see this documentary. I know that he survived it, but it will still be very "chilling" to watch. Oh my gosh! :eek:

I had hoped that it was coming to an IMAX theater in my area this weekend. It's listed on the two local IMAX theaters' websites; however, there's no tickets or schedules listed. My area isn't listed on the National Geographic website for screenings. I had hoped to share this with my husband this weekend as part of his birthday. I know that he would love to see this.

Do I just have to wait until it's available for streaming or whatever some time in the future?

My other alternative is Halloween (because his birthday is near Halloween and he used to have a thing for Jamie Lee Curtis...perhaps he still does, and it's playing at our very favorite movie theater.) I'm thinking of following that up with a Haunted Hayride, Field of Screams and the Village of the Dead held each year at a local farm. We've never done it. It could be fun and different.

Are there any options for us to see Free Solo this weekend that I'm missing? :)

I don't know what it means for you but it reminds me of the the "free solo" climbers that climb buildings

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech...ling-off-62-story-skyscraper-china/943935001/

Egret1986

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't know what it means for you but it reminds me of the the "free solo" climbers that climb buildings

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech...ling-off-62-story-skyscraper-china/943935001/

I don't think it's quite the same. I'm pretty sure they don't climb "free" of all ropes and safety gear. I could be wrong.

We love the National Parks, and have been to Yosemite and seen El Capitan. As I grow older, my fear of heights has increased. Even watching these kinds of things on video takes my breath away.

I've got a feeling that we won't be seeing it on IMAX this weekend. I guess we'll have a date with Michael Myers instead. I wouldn't normally pay to go see Halloween, but I'm running out of ideas.

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
I saw it a week ago after seeing The Dawn Wall the week before. I liked the Dawn Wall better because wow, Tommy Caldwell has led an interesting life, but my husband preferred Free Solo better because of the climbing. I had sweaty palms watching both. We saw both in regular (not Imax theaters) so if that's an option go for it. I assume that you already saw this page, but just in case you missed it here are the cities - note that there are cities that will be added later this month. https://www.nationalgeographic.com/films/free-solo/screenings

I definitely think that you should see them on the big screen if possible, but if not I am pretty sure that they will be released on some streaming service based upon what my climbing kids have said. This movie has inspired my husband to "get on El Cap" later this year. He's aiming for the easiest route - Pine Line. He's been gym climbing for two years. Nice goal. I will cheer him on from the valley floor.

Last edited:

Egret1986

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I checked out National Geographic and there are no screenings near me. Good for your husband.....Wow.....Easiest route? :eek:......That's an awesome goal. It's a good feeling to be inspired and work towards something, and then to go out and just do it. Wicked scary to me. I'll be satisfied with watching others following their dreams when it comes to climbing. So later this year......as in wintertime? Yikes! :hi: