• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

The demise of formal nights on cruises: How dress codes are tearing passengers apart. Formalwear is

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Way before my time, Cliff's parents backed out of a cruise the three kids gave them because his mother was afraid she'd be inappropriately attired. We have German friends who are great, and usually thrifty, travelers. They pack and wear old clothes, dumping them over the weeks they are traveling. Imagine our surprise this past spring while helping them bring suitcases into our home from their rental car, when they told us one large suitcase could stay in the car because it was their formal wear for their cruise home. They are frequent sailors on the QE2, taking a room down in "steerage" and enjoying all the activities and meals. I'd stay home before I'd schlep true formal clothing on vacation, but am happy to wear slinky pants and sparkly tops.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
In a limited nod to tradition, I bring a sports coat and tie.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
In a limited nod to tradition, I bring a sports coat and tie.
Me too. Used to pack a tux, but no more. Still more dressy than most these days.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I also, in a very nod to tradition, I will bring a sport coat and tie. Do I miss bringing a tux or a suit on a cruise sometimes. But the airlines luggage weight restrictions of 50 pounds and the extra costs of luggage flying, plus all those TSA rules, are my reasons for traveling light these days on an airplanes and cruising. IMHO.

Last edited:

Synergy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview, Massanutten
We drive to the ports, so luggage weight isn't an issue - but we still don't bring a tux for him. We pack a dress for me and a button-down and slacks for him. Cruising is one of the only times either of us dress up, but apparently our dressing up game is pretty weak.

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hubby will still bring a suit (definitely not a tux) or sports coat and tie. We like to dress up if there is a formal.

For our first cruise in 2003 - I wore a long dress/very formal. Not anymore - maxi dress, dressy dress but nothing elaborate/crazy. We usually find 50/50 - very dressy to casual.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
While we do not Cruise I like to dress up. I have worn my Tux with Green Cumberband and Tie for St Patrick's Day Dinner out in San Diego. Red Cumberband and Tie for Valentine's Day. I have also taken my Tux to wear at certain dinners at Cabo and Las Vegas. Patti will indulge me and bring an evening/cocktail dress. I remember several years ago wearing my Tux to Lowry's in Las Vegas. The Maanger came by to thank us for honoring their restaurant by our attire. We had been told by the Congiere that the nicer restaurants could identify the tourists by their wearing of shorts and T-shirts.

Last edited:

Icc5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Never have like dressing up and stopped wearing a suit years ago. Usually wear slacks, button down long sleeve shirt, sometimes a tie and sometimes a sweater. Years ago did wear a tux and wore suits and felt like I had to. Used to get frustrated to be all dressed up and then see so many that weren't.
So much easier now a days not having to lug that extra clothes.

cissy

TUG Member
Reaction score
I, for one, miss the formal night on a cruise. It is only one night, and no one is obligated to attend the formal seating. Living the mundane life that I do, I loved being able to get dressed up for the occasion. Cruises were once a very special indulgence. No longer. I understand folks wanting to be comfortable and casual, but, for many, this trend has turned into sloppy.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
There are several cruise lines that still cater to the folks that like a formal night, they tend to be smaller. The larger mega ships are proliferating to cater to the hoi polloi, apparently there are profits to be made on the masses.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Celebrity still has 'Resort Chic' nights where guests are encouraged to dress up some. The ship's senior officers are all turned out in dress uniforms. I haven't seen folks turned away from the dining rooms, as nearly all guests wear at least nice dresses on the ladies and sport coats on the men. I was happy with the change and to leave the tux at home. If we sailed on Cunard, I'd consider getting a kilt. That would be a fun dress-up.

Jim

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think dressing up on vacation is silly. I've attended enough work events that required formal wear to last me a lifetime. Plus, with baggage fees its inconvenient and expensive to bring a garment bag. I think cruise travel used to be viewed as a huge special occasion, to be enjoyed by the upper classes. That just isn't true with how inexpensive it is now. It deeply amuses me that Disney is by far the most expensive of the mass market lines, including those with more pretentious self-images.

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
I still have two tuxes from my working days as a USAF Engineer. My late wife and I really enjoyed the “fancy dress balls” as we called the Dining Ins and Dinning Outs as the USAF called their formal events.

We continued to enjoy formal nights on cruises until she passed away. Now when I cruise with a lady companion, I leave the decision to her. Some want to go formal, some do not. Last cruise it was go formal and we both enjoyed the experience.
61B31E59-8AB0-4021-96F2-5352C763EF73.jpeg

Cheers

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
If the Air Force formals were like those in the Marine Corps one was with spouses and was was just with Members of the Unit. I will let you guess which started as a Formal Affair but degenerated into debauchery (sword fights; roaring battles with blanks, smoke grenades, and pyrotechnics; etc.

Quiet Pine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Years ago, we & our adult children went on a cruise with a formal night. I rented tuxes for DH & DS. They were delivered to our cabin & picked up after the cruise.
upload_2019-12-19_7-21-10.jpeg

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
If the Air Force formals were like those in the Marine Corps one was with spouses and was was just with Members of the Unit. I will let you guess which started as a Formal Affair but degenerated into debauchery (sword fights; roaring battles with blanks, smoke grenades, and pyrotechnics; etc.

Sounds very familiar, Grog Bowl and all. Dining Ins were Squadron/unit Events for Active Duty Personnel and Dining Outs were more all hands, eg Spouses & Civilians. One of the favorites at Dining Ins were Carrier Landings by personnel on suitably lubricated tables.

Cheers

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
We don't cruise, but we also hate dressing up. I don't even own a dress!

beejaybeeohio

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Best Place in the US to see the April 2024 Eclipse
Resorts Owned
Peekn'Peak's Greenwood Forest NY
We are fine with evening chic dress code and tend to follow it every evening on board. I do enjoy seeing other cruisers who dress above the minimum requirements for evening chic nights- the gents look so classy in their tuxes or kilts and the gowns on the wonen are lovely.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I just returned from a 20 night cruise in the Med and Middle East on MSC. It was a great cruise (hmm...I need to find that other thread where I was asked to post a review of MSC...). The cruise had several elegant nights, and some people were quite well dressed, others in smart casual, and some who can’t read. I did not hear one complaint from anyone about others dress. People just enjoyed themselves, as it should be.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ken555, are you going to post your review on CC website?

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Gawd no, that’s primarily a site for complainers and questions about how to hide liquor when boarding... ;)
We encountered similar on CC prior to our Asia cruise. It was All Fouled Up with bitching about new China Visa hullabaloo about the 144 hr exemption. X didn't help by backing some mail-order visa outfit selling them for over $100! CC's value erodes quickly when a few posters just won't keep their fingers off a keyboard to answer every reply.

bendadin

TUG Member
Reaction score
I bought tuxedos for my husband and boys. They wore them twice, never to be seen again. They all complained the entire time. We just did a EBPC 14 nights and there was one formal night and one semi-formal night. I ended up having the guys wear black shirts with black pants with matching ties. The girls wore black dresses with Mickey Mouse ears made to match the ties. That was as far as I could push that envelope. Granted we have matching embarkation outfits and Pirate costumes. When my daughter was a bit younger she would wear Princess gowns that turned into other gowns which now given the option, she would opt for a t-shirt and fleece pants.

We have little excuse to not bring dressier clothing. We fly standby so we check bags for free. And Disney has washing machines. I'm glad that we've had the experience of dressing for formal night, but honesty, it is so much easier to cruise without bringing a ton of clothing. And besides, we never buy the photo packages anyway.