• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

The Bay club, Pools and HWV

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
The family and I are planning a trip to HI in 2021. Just today the bulk RCI deposit of The Bay club happened.

After reading a lot about the bay club on BI I have put a unit on hold. I've read on RCI that you can buy a 3-day pass worth $150 so you can use the pools at HWV, is that per person or for 4,5,6 persons? We are a family of 5. 2 adults, 3 kids aged 10,15,16

I'm wondering if the pass is worth it or not?, I mean I assume the pool at the Bay club is nice and we will use it but not for the entire day so maybe a pass that cost that much is overkill even though my kids enjoy a pool.

Regards

giowop

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC on the Boulevard
My wife and I, along with our two daughters aged 16 and 20, stayed at Kingsland last May. We absolutely loved the pools at KL. Because we stayed there we had free access to the Hilton Waikoloa Village pool complex. They only used Waikoloa Village for a couple hours one day and otherwise we spent the rest of our pool time back at KL. Waikoloa facility is fantastic but despite being sprawling it still was a madhouse with people.

If it is cheaper to get the wristbands for KL I would absolutely pursue that in a heartbeat - but that’s just personal preference. Disclaimer is we weren’t ever at Bay club.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jmann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Sea World
We stayed at the Bay Club and initially we were disappointed in the older resort after staying at KL. But it does have its charm. The unit was bigger and we had a large lanai. The pools there don’t have the landscaping and wow factor of KL so we did both. But the pools at Bay Club are quieter and we sometimes had them to ourselves,

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can we use the pools at KL without paying?

TDub1313

Reaction score
When staying at BC you will have access to both pools at BC. However, the vibe at BC is quiet and *older* so to speak. Kids in the BC pools will get you some nasty looks. The main pool by the club house, gym and tennis courts is more forgiving for this. You will also have access to the Kohala Suites pool, which is far more kid friendly, quite nice but rather small. We did not pay to enter the KL or HHV pools but were never denied entry to walk around and look. Both of these pools are quite impressive but incredibly expensive to access if staying at BC. They have a color coded towel system at all of the properties to deter “pool pirates.”

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Since we are going to visit BI should we rather wait for KL or another HGVC property to be deposited into RCI?

TDub1313

Reaction score
Does staying at KL essentially allow one access to all of the resort pools, including HHV or OT?

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
Since we are going to visit BI should we rather wait for KL or another HGVC property to be deposited into RCI?
I've done two HWV-complex exchanges, one to Kings Land and then to Kohala. I picked both of those for pool access at the hotel complex. I think whether to wait or not depends a little bit on how firm your plans are, how particular you are about dates, etc. If you are flexible, it might be fine to let things ride. Alternatively, you might want to confirm one with trade power protection and switch if something better comes along. That's not the cheapest way to do things, but it does buy some peace of mind.

ocdb8r

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would just call the resort and ask for clarity on the wristband process. I believe it has changed since we last stayed, but when we were there purchasing a wristband got you access to both the KingsLand and Hotel Complex pools. +1 808-886-7979

Given you are a family of 5, I think you'll be more comfortable in the Bay Club units as they are quite large. They are also slightly closer to the Hotel Complex if you really plan on hanging out at those pools.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
It depends on what you want in a pool. We prefer the pools at Bay Club and Kohala because they're quieter. Now, the bar at the KL pool is far superior, and I've been known to walk down there just for that on more than one occasion. We don't have kids and don't want the loud, boisterous pools. The pools at HWV are nice, but not worth $150 IMO. Staying at Kohala, though, does allow free use of those polls, albeit with smaller rooms than BC.

Cheers.

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
If you are HGVC elite, then Kingsland pools access is complimentary.
I've never bought pass, but recall reading on this forum several years ago about the $150 pass covering 4 people. Best to call Kohala Suites or BC to confirm. Kohala handles check-in for BC ,and would be one to sell the pass.
Bay Club units are large and will give your family space enough to spread out. It's pretty quiet, and not a hang out place for teenagers. I highly recommend you get the Big Island Revealed book. The Kona Costco usually sells it.

We go to Hawaii for the beaches. Try Hapuna beach state park or Mauna Kea beach hotel's cove beach. There are several little beaches up and down coast. Not always easy to get to, but may have good sea life for snorkeling and occasional turtle.

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
I think it’s $15 a day for a Kingsland pool pass if you’re staying at Bay Club. The KL pool is awesome and the kids will love it.

Save your money and swim in the lagoon at HWV. You won’t have to pay. Just bring your own towels.

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
Of course, $150 per stay for the rest of ones life is more cost-effective than Elite :)

Cheers.
Quite true
I thought maybe OP might have some Scotland resale units...

fernow

TUG Member
Reaction score
Bay Club pools are not "exciting". Basically just a place to cool off. Kingsland Pools are great. Fake rocks, slides, waterfalls, in pool volleyball, in pool basketball etc. Hilton Waikoloa pools are nice but busy, not worth the hassle and KL pools just as nice IMO. Your question is about pools but my suggestion is spending a lot of time at Hapuna beach or Mauna Kea beach with kids of this age. Can be some really great boogie boarding and good snorkeling at the "edges". We like Bay Club better than Kingsland because of the larger lanai, and when not at the beach, take the grandkids to the Kingland pools.

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The family and I are planning a trip to HI in 2021. After reading a lot about the bay club on BI I have put a unit on hold....I'm wondering if the pass is worth it or not?, I mean I assume the pool at the Bay club....
As of 2018 an access pass for 4 people to Hilton Waikoloa was indeed available for $80/day or $150/3 days. The pools at BC are as fernow said, just a place to cool off and not exciting in any way. The Hilton is more of a waterpark experience with all sorts of things to do.

That said...we didn't buy the pass since we're beach people. We and the kids loved Hāpuna Beach State Park about 15 minutes north of the Bay Club. And we did use the BC pool for a quick dip in the late afternoon/early evening on days we were out sightseeing. Lastly, the villa at BC was shockingly huge compared with other HGVC (and MVCI and DVC) properties in which we've stayed.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Bay Club pools are not "exciting". Basically just a place to cool off.

Yup. We like to spend part of the day just chilling by the unexciting pools with a book and maybe an adult beverage and the rest of the time out actually doing things on the Island. Screaming kids is definitely not the kind of excitement we're looking for. That's why it really depends upon what one wants. As noted, the character of all the pools are really different.

Cheers,

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Can we use the pools at KL without paying?

If you are Elite, I believe so.

But I generally don't go to Hawaii to go to the pool. Just saying.....

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Last edited:

travelhacker

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I've always liked the Big Island, but am pretty new to timesharing. Can't wait to check some of these places out.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Bay club photo albums

TUG Member Maverick1963 2019 photos of the Bay Club

TUG Member Dougp26364 2017 photos of the Bay Club
Updated album link for dougp26364‘s detailed photos ;) - https://dougp26364.smugmug.com/Trav...-Bay-Club-Waikoloa-Village-Big-Island-Hawaii/

Last edited:

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Kids in the BC pools will get you some nasty looks

I’ve been an owner at BC for 20 years and have travel there with kids for 15 of those years. There are tons of families And tons of kids. That’s true for all 4 resort. Can‘t ever recall anyone having issues with kids in the pool. Although I can remember a gentleman on this forum once complaining about not being able to have the hot tub all to himself at HHV in Honolulu. Maybe you ran into him.