• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

The 60-40 portfolio just doesn't 'cut it anymore' in this market, Wharton's Jeremy Siegel says

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)

Iggyearl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Got to agree. "Savers" are being crushed by the lack of yield. A stock with a 5% dividend looks pretty good compared to a 2% savings account. My mother-in-law used to run from bank to bank to get the best CD rates. She would be depressed by the current situation.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I agree with the author's sentiment. However, I have a higher level of bonds, becuz as someone who is retired, my interest in stability and preserving capital is higher than the normal investor. I may too conservative, but my time horizon for recovering from corrections is not what it used to be.

Brett

Reaction score
I agree with the author's sentiment. However, I have a higher level of bonds, becuz as someone who is retired, my interest in stability and preserving capital is higher than the normal investor. I may too conservative, but my time horizon for recovering from corrections is not what it used to be.

For sure as one gets older the time horizon for recovering from a stock market downturn gets shorter.

geekette

Reaction score
Just be careful when someone starts talking about high yield investments. In some instances, the underlying assets are very risky, or the super murky funds of funds crap, several layers of fees. Buyer beware.

Understand normal historic yields for that type of investment. Understand why it might be currently outside of normal bounds and what that represents in terms of risk to your dollars.

Come on over to div investing, get annual raises on your starting yield and juice it further while you can allow dividends to reinvest. Yields are pretty low right now, generally, because the market is good. Utilities are fairly stable and decent yields, but generally very modest div raises.

Recovery from a down market? Only applies if you are planning to sell assets. If you instead own income-producing securities where that income is not reliant on market pricing, it doesn't matter what the market does. There are many companies that have paid an increasing dividend for more than 25 years, they don't just stop paying when a recession hits.

cp73

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DSV 1
Thats a terrible article and way outdated. Who recommends 60/40 nowadays? Has the author looked at all the retirement dated funds available? I think most people now realize that there is no allocation that is good for all age groups. It would be terrible for anyone under 45 to consider such an allocation. I just dont buy his premise that a lot of people are doing 60/40 as the norm.