• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

THE 11 BEST CANADIAN TREATS YOU CAN'T GET IN AMERICA

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Thanks Richard -

personal favourites -
All Dressed Ruffles Chips
Coffee Crisp

Most of these can be bought at Dollarama - whose corporate goal seems to be to to have (at least one)
location within a kilometre of a Tim Horton’s . Dollarama is easy to find / easy to use - and has an extensive candy aisle . (Their headquarter is in Montreal)

FYI - Canadian’s put vinegar on french fries / so the vinagary flavours in chip products make sense .
my favourite - malt vinegar & ketchup on Harveys fries .

[Harveys is a Cdn burger chain whose parent company Recipe Unlimited ( formerly Cara Foods) also owns Swiss Chalet .- more good stuff that isn’t found in America .]

Of course we don’t have Steak & Shake or White Castle -

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
Thanks for this reminder, Richard.

While my wife loves them, I am not a big fan of wine gums. I definitely do prefer (Canadian) Smarties to M&Ms, and a Crispy Crunch to a Butterfinger bar. :thumbup::thumbup:

And if we are talking about sweet treats, and not just candies and chips, then two other Canadian specialties also deserve a vote, IMO: butter tarts and Nanaimo bars. Yummmm!! :whooopie::whooopie:

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
I also love Crunchies. Which did not make the list. It is english toffee covered in chocolate. I like coffee crisp and but not crispy crunch so munch. All Dressed are the bomb, but not really a ketchup fan.

I also agree on the butter tarts and Nanaimo Bars!!!

But since I am now living in Houston, I usually only find these items when I venture back home.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
You can now get All Dressed Ruffles potato chips, at least here in Ohio. They have had them on the shelves for over a year.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I really like Wunderbar. Peanut Butter, caramel and rice crisps covered in chocolate!

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Treats?... I call it junk-food.

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks! I knew aero bars were unavailable in the US, as I have sporadically shipped a costco sized box of them to a friend who moved there.

I'm suprised about caramilk bars, they are delicious (and also great frozen!). Hawkins cheezies are great as well.

There are some things that go the other way. The big one in my family is Starburst jelly beans, which haven't been sold in Canada for at least 10-15 years. Every time we go to the US we bring back a bag or two, as they're my wife's very favourite candy.

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
I'm suprised about caramilk bars, they are delicious (and also great frozen!). Hawkins cheezies are great as well.

I agree. Caramilk bars are one of my favourites. I guess the Americans couldn't figure out the "secret" of how to get the caramel inside the chocolate!! LOL. :D:D (For our American cousins, Caramilk ran ad campaigns about the "secret" of how they got the caramel inside the chocolate.)

And the article below, while duplicating some of the OP list, mentions Caramilk, Maltesers and Glosettes, particularly Glosette Raisins. They also point out that the chocolate used in most Canadian "candy" bars is closer to real milk chocolate than that used in most American bars. Even the Hershey bar sold here has a different formula. :clap::clap:

https://cottagelife.com/outdoors/10-chocolate-bars-youll-only-find-in-canada/

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Richard for sharing this. I liked Aero bars and vinegar over fries & chips.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
I agree. Caramilk bars are one of my favourites. I guess the Americans couldn't figure out the "secret" of how to get the caramel inside the chocolate!! LOL. :D:D (For our American cousins, Caramilk ran ad campaigns about the "secret" of how they got the caramel inside the chocolate.)

And the article below, while duplicating some of the OP list, mentions Caramilk, Maltesers and Glosettes, particularly Glosette Raisins. They also point out that the chocolate used in most Canadian "candy" bars is closer to real milk chocolate than that used in most American bars. Even the Hershey bar sold here has a different formula. :clap::clap:

https://cottagelife.com/outdoors/10-chocolate-bars-youll-only-find-in-canada/
Hi CanuckTravlr,

Thanks for the Canadian list. I never cease to be amazed at the things I learn on Tug.

Best Regards.

Richard

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
You're welcome. And the same back to you, Richard. I have learned so much about so many things here on TUG, not the least of them from your myriad posts on such eclectic topics. :clap::clap::clap:

PcflEZFlng

TUG Member
Reaction score
I never understood the appeal of Hershey. Anything chocolate made by Cadbury or Nestle is far superior!

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I never understood the appeal of Hershey. Anything chocolate made by Cadbury or Nestle is far superior!
Those are all "junk" chocolate as far as I'm concerned.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Interesting opinion. Perhaps you could enlighten the rest of us by expanding upon your comment? :confused:
There are many other chocolates I like much better than Heshey or Nestle. Cadbury I'm not that familiar with so I really shouldn't comment on them, but they would probably be among what I classify as mass produced commercial chocolate.

I find chocolate from Europe, especially Belgium and Switzerland to be wonderful. Many craft chocolates made in the U.S. are wonderful as well. I decided quite a few years ago that if I was going to indulge in chocolate I wanted it to be worth it.

And this is my opinion only.

Last edited:

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score

To me, Hershey and Nestle are very comparable however, of the three, Cadbury is a far supreme chocolate. Of course you will pay for that quality.

The appeal of both Hershey and Nestle are the price.

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
My younger son loves Lay’s Ketchup chips. I always buy some for him when we are in Canada.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I really don't like Nestle chocolate, at least the stuff made here in the USA. I do like the Aero and Coffee Crisp candy bars in Canada that are made by Nestle but the chocolate there must be a different recipe. The USA stuff is inedible to me. I do like Hershey but Cadbury is far superior IMO.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I find chocolate from Europe, especially Belgium and Switzerland to be wonderful.

Many years ago when returning from Europe, the security screener at the Amsterdam airport looked in my bag full of Belgian chocolates, and said, "We'll have to confiscate those." But when he saw my jaw drop, quickly added, "I'm only kidding... Enjoy."

I handed a few boxes out to friends and co-workers.
One woman in particular became very friendly.

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
@dioxide45 Yes, the chocolate in Canada is generally a different formulation to that in the USA. Please refer to the article in the link I attached in post #12 for an explanation. As I mentioned in that same post, and as expanded on in that article, even Hershey's uses a different formulation in Canada.

@Luanne I agree with you about US-manufactured, mass-produced chocolate. Our regular, mass-produced bars generally have a higher fat/chocolate component, with a creamier and less "waxy" flavour, than normally found in the USA, and as a result they taste better, IMO.

Cadbury (which is a British-based, multi-national company) and Nestlé (a Swiss-based, multi-national company) are the predominant players here. Of course, we also get some Hershey and Mars products, too.

Some of the higher-end specialty chocolate bars produced by Cadbury start to approach the taste and quality of some Belgian and Swiss chocolate, again IMHO, albeit at a higher price. Is it as fine as the best Belgian or Swiss chocolate? No, but then the price is less, too. However, most Belgian and Swiss chocolate exports are also mass-produced, commercial chocolates.

And finally, we are certainly not talking here about craft chocolatiers; that is a whole different category. We have those, too; but that is not an apples to apples comparison.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
@dioxide45

And finally, we are certainly not talking here about craft chocolatiers; that is a whole different category. We have those, too; but that is not an apples to apples comparison.
You were asking me to explain my opinion about calling Hershey and Nestle junk chocolate. I gave you my opinion, which includes craft chocolates.