• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

THE 11 BEST CANADIAN TREATS YOU CAN'T GET IN AMERICA

moonstone

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
My younger son loves Lay’s Ketchup chips. I always buy some for him when we are in Canada.

I have family who moved to California many years ago and the one thing they missed was salt & vinegar chips. Now they can get those but not the ketchup flavor so they take a few bags home with them every time they are up.

My dad's uncle and cousins (the Murphy's) are a Canadian supplier of potatoes for Lays. Here's their story; https://www.foodandfarmingcanada.com/2011/06/24/where-potato-chips-are-grown/ It is a huge operation and still supplying potatoes to Lays today.

The story behind the story is that my grandfather and great-grandfather had huge potato farms in Alliston, Ontario which have been passed down from generation to generation. My dad didn't get the family farm due to his father having a stroke when my dad was only 12. My great uncle (grandpa's brother) took over the farm and said he'd run it until my dad finished school and was old enough to run it. My grandma moved into town (Barrie, ON) to take an apartment near the hospital to be close to grandpa and 3 of her daughters. My dad was sent to Toronto to live with his oldest sister who was already married with small children of her own. When my dad finished high school and turned 18 he asked for the farm back but his uncle told him he had made no such promise. My grandpa had lost the ability to speak from his stroke but dad said he sure yelled when he told him about loosing the farm. Dad doesn't know why they never hired a lawyer to get the farm back, but it was probably due to the cost involved. Grandpa passed away about a year later and grandma said it was from a broken heart about the farm. After having 5 daughters they were so glad to have a son to leave the farm to, and now he wasn't getting it. Dad said when they left the farmhouse they didn't realize they'd be leaving it forever and so left many of their belongings there. His uncle and wife got rid of most of the stuff and moved their family into the house as it was bigger than the one on their farm next door. My dad nor any of his sisters ever went back to the farm or spoke to any of their uncles or cousins after that. Karma paid those Murphy's a visit a few years later when dad's former family farmhouse burned to the ground and the family lost everything.

I guess in a way its a good thing my dad didn't get the farm because he would not have met my mom in Toronto and eventually married her, and I wouldn't be here!

~Diane

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I agree. Caramilk bars are one of my favourites. I guess the Americans couldn't figure out the "secret" of how to get the caramel inside the chocolate!! LOL. :D:D (For our American cousins, Caramilk ran ad campaigns about the "secret" of how they got the caramel inside the chocolate.)

And the article below, while duplicating some of the OP list, mentions Caramilk, Maltesers and Glosettes, particularly Glosette Raisins. They also point out that the chocolate used in most Canadian "candy" bars is closer to real milk chocolate than that used in most American bars. Even the Hershey bar sold here has a different formula. :clap::clap:

https://cottagelife.com/outdoors/10-chocolate-bars-youll-only-find-in-canada/
I forgot about Maltesers, but they have since started making and distributing them in the US. Even saw them at Costco.Maltesers are far superior to Whoppers.

Last edited:

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
You were asking me to explain my opinion about calling Hershey and Nestle junk chocolate. I gave you my opinion, which includes craft chocolates.

I have no problem with your opinion and no criticism was intended.

My comments were solely intended to add some context to your comments, since the thread is about Canadian treats and chocolate. Since you implied you had not tasted the ones in Canada, and the ones in the USA as we have repeated, do not taste the same as those in Canada, in my opinion it was fair comment. Everything is cool!!! :thumbup:

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
I have family who moved to California many years ago and the one thing they missed was salt & vinegar chips. Now they can get those but not the ketchup flavor so they take a few bags home with them every time they are up.

My dad's uncle and cousins (the Murphy's) are the Canadian supplier of potatoes for Lays. Here's their story; https://www.foodandfarmingcanada.com/2011/06/24/where-potato-chips-are-grown/ It is a huge operation and still supplying potatoes to Lays today.

The story behind the story is that my grandfather and great-grandfather had huge potato farms in Alliston, Ontario which have been passed down from generation to generation. My dad didn't get the family farm due to his father having a stroke when my dad was only 12. My great uncle (grandpa's brother) took over the farm and said he'd run it until my dad finished school and was old enough to run it. My grandma moved into town (Barrie, ON) to take an apartment near the hospital to be close to grandpa and 3 of her daughters. My dad was sent to Toronto to live with his oldest sister who was already married with small children of her own. When my dad finished high school and turned 18 he asked for the farm back but his uncle told him he had made no such promise. My grandpa had lost the ability to speak from his stroke but dad said he sure yelled when he told him about loosing the farm. Dad doesn't know why they never hired a lawyer to get the farm back, but it was probably due to the cost involved. Grandpa passed away about a year later and grandma said it was from a broken heart about the farm. After having 5 daughters they were so glad to have a son to leave the farm to, and now he wasn't getting it. Dad said when they left the farmhouse they didn't realize they'd be leaving it forever and so left many of their belongings there. His uncle and wife got rid of most of the stuff and moved their family into the house as it was bigger than the one on their farm next door. My dad nor any of his sisters ever went back to the farm or spoke to any of their uncles or cousins after that. Karma paid those Murphy's a visit a few years later when dad's former family farmhouse burned to the ground and the family lost everything.

I guess in a way its a good thing my dad didn't get the farm because he would not have met my mom in Toronto and eventually married her, and I wouldn't be here!

~Diane
Hi Disne,

Thanks for sharing.

Richard

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
should we tell Richard ?

about the Canadian Chocolate Co. - named after the Canadian " Paul Revere-sque heroine of the War of 1812 .
(pretty good chocolate too.)

what do you say ahh -

Janann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC on the Boulevard, Las Vegas;
Disney's Saratoga Springs

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
should we tell Richard ?

about the Canadian Chocolate Co. - named after the Canadian " Paul Revere-sque heroine of the War of 1812 .
(pretty good chocolate too.)

what do you say ahh -

Sure. I think we can mention Toronto's Laura Secord Chocolates. And for Richard and our other American cousins, here is the link explaining the historic Canadian heroine:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laura_Secord

Since we are now mentioning more specialized, but limited, mass-produced chocolates, then I think it is only fair to also mention Ganong Bros. Chocolates from St. Stephen, New Brunswick, Purdy's Chocolatier from Vancouver and Rogers' Chocolates from Victoria. I have a special place in my heart (stomach??) for Rogers' famous Victoria Creams!!! :D

I am sure there are others that I don't know about. That is without even getting into local, one-shop, craft chocolatiers all across the country, which is way beyond the scope of this thread.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
There is also Bridge Mixture and those chocolate macarons (made by Neilson) and sold in a box that they have in Canada. Never seen anything like those around these parts.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

My dad's uncle and cousins (the Murphy's) are a Canadian supplier of potatoes for Lays. Here's their story; https://www.foodandfarmingcanada.com/2011/06/24/where-potato-chips-are-grown/ It is a huge operation and still supplying potatoes to Lays today.

~Diane
Hi Diane,

I saw this article a couple of weeks ago but didn't recognize its significance until I read the link you posted about potatoes grown for Lay's Potato Chips:

Pepsi is suing Indian farmers for growing special spuds designed for Lay's chips.

https://qz-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v...-over-the-fc5-potato-designed-for-lays-chips/.

Richard

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hi Diane,

I saw this article a couple of weeks ago but didn't recognize its significance until I read the link you posted about potatoes grown for Lay's Potato Chips:

Pepsi is suing Indian farmers for growing special spuds designed for Lay's chips.

https://qz-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/qz.com/1606767/pepsi-sues-indian-farmers-over-the-fc5-potato-designed-for-lays-chips/amp/?amp_js_v=a2&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQCCAA=#referrer=https://www.google.com&amp_tf=From %1$s&ampshare=https://qz.com/1606767/pepsi-sues-indian-farmers-over-the-fc5-potato-designed-for-lays-chips/.

Richard
Follow up to the lawsuit:

Pepsico withdraws lawsuits against Indian potato farmers.

https://mobile-reuters-com.cdn.ampp.../article/us-india-pepsi-farmers-idUSKCN1SG1KT.

Richard