• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

The 100 greatest comedies of all time: Who voted?

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Looks liked Charlie Chaplin, Billy Wilder and Woody Allen make the Top (10) Lists.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
What, what, what?

Pulp Fiction is a comedy?

(Let's see who gets that one....)

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
And where is Ferris Bueller? :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
And Animal House is waaaaayy too low...

Ralph Sir Edward

TUG Member
Reaction score
I went through all the individual lists (all 253 of 'em!). Here are my top 10 movies that didn't even get one vote from anybody!

(Note: The list is in no particular ranking. (The number are there just for counting purposes.))

1. Libeled Lady. - To my taste, the best William Powell/Myrna Loy movie pairing. (And yes, that includes the Thin Man movies.)
2. S.O.B. - Blake Edwards' uproarious send up of Hollywood.
3. The Hallelujah Trail. - Big sprawling satire of the Western genre. (Bring you own whiskey!)
4. Young Lions. - Think of it as sort of Texas version of The Princess Bride. Funny and thoughtful at the same time.
5. Carry On Up The Kyhber. - The gem of the Carry On series. (Only one Carry On got mentioned, once, and that was not the best one.)
6. One Night In Rio. - A musical comedy of impersonation.
7. Father Goose. - A Cary Grant movie showing just how hard it is to stay a bum. . .
8. Man's Favorite Sport. - There was only one 50's/early 60's romantic comedy vote for (Pillow Talk). Here is Rock Hudson without Doris Day, out fishing. . .
9. They Call Me Trinity. - A send-up of the Spaghetti Westerns, by the master (Sergio Leone) himself, under a pseudonym. (Beans mandatory.)
10. The Private Navy Of Sgt. O'Farrell - O.K., a guilty pleasure. But there wasn't one Bob Hope movie on anybody's lists. I like this one over, say, Paleface. . .

bluehende

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
What, what, what?

Pulp Fiction is a comedy?

(Let's see who gets that one....)

Say what one more time!!!!

our tastes are the same. Animal house would be in my top few. Right of the top of my head I put it as number one. It could move down with some more thought. I also do not think Vacation or Christmas Vacation was on the list either.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Building on @Ralph Sir Edward point...
Were NONE of the Pink Panther movies on the list?

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
I love Ben Stiller but Zoolander on the list? I would have replaced that with another Ben Stiller movie - Meet the Parents, or even Wild Hogs or Dirty Rotten Scoundrels.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS

Only one Blake Edwards movie? ... I'm shocked+dismayed.
My favorite of all time: "My Man Godfrey" (#52).
-- William Powell and Carole Lombard... a screwball classic.

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
Like others, I was surprised by some of the omissions, but also by some of the inclusions in the "comedy" category. I did not peruse the complete lists in detail, but did skim them all to get a sense of the voting and the nominees.

Notable exclusions to me were no Pink Panther, no Laurel and Hardy, no Abbott and Costello, no Little Rascals and no Three Stooges, all some of my boyhood favourites. Mind you, most of the critics may be too young to have been exposed to many of them. Charlie Chaplin and Buster Keaton were included on several lists, but they are early legends, so the critics may have been exposed to them in film history studies or similar places. Maybe some of those are excluded from contention, since many films are short works?

There are also a number of odd inclusions to me. They all certainly have comedic aspects, of course, some of them with significant and sophisticated humour, but I think of them as being more appropriately included in some other category, whether a drama, a tragedy, a musical, or even science fiction. This list includes such films as Pulp Fiction, The Graduate, It's A Wonderful Life, Singin' In The Rain and Star Trek IV. But obviously many others feel differently.

I tried to come up with a list of my own top 10 and with a little sifting and winnowing, here it is. However, on a different day, or with further reflection, it might be a different ten, or a different order. I got to twenty fairly easily, even restricting each director or primary comedian to only one film on the list:
  1. Monty Python and the Holy Grail
  2. Dr. Strangelove, or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
  3. Animal House
  4. Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery
  5. Annie Hall
  6. Shrek
  7. Airplane!
  8. When Harry Met Sally
  9. Forrest Gump
  10. The Great Dictator

Ralph Sir Edward

TUG Member
Reaction score
Building on @Ralph Sir Edward point...

2 votes for The Pink Panther
3 votes for A Shot In The Dark
2 votes for The Return Of The Pink Panther
1 vote for The Pink Panther Strikes Back

Out of 253 voters 10 best lists.

That put none of them in the top 100.

(My list was movies that no votes at all. . . )

Ralph Sir Edward

TUG Member
Reaction score
Only one Blake Edwards movie? ... I'm shocked+dismayed.
My favorite of all time: "My Man Godfrey" (#52).
-- William Powell and Carole Lombard... a screwball classic.

And The Party? At 23????

No Pink Panther, no S.O.B., no Victor/Victoria?

And no Veteran Virgin movies?

Conan

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Here are my top 10 movies that didn't even get one vote from anybody!

Man's Favorite Sport. - There was only one 50's/early 60's romantic comedy vote for (Pillow Talk). Here is Rock Hudson without Doris Day, out fishing. . .
Great choice! It may be Howard Hawks’ least funny comedy, but the Hawks style is unmistakable.
52FBFAB6-95D7-4757-A962-B00004DCB1D8.jpeg

Last edited: