• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Thanksgiving Dinner is Now Planned

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
I would REALLY like to either take a class in this, or watch a YouTube video of the process. I don't own either a vacuum sealer or a sous vide circulator, and really don't know where to start.
It sounds great, but for just two of us (fairly handy- but stuck in the '70's- in the kitchen) and with limited storage space for more kitchen gadgets, ya gotta draw a line someplace.

I'd cheerfully teach you.

You can buy both the sealer and the circulator on Amazon on Black Friday. Anova and Vesta make decent, consumer-grade circulators. (Polyscience makes the best. This is what we used in busy kitchens.) All of them will get you there. Just heat your water in a pot to a smidge over your target temperature. Circulators are great at maintaining temperature, not heating gallons of water.

An inexpensive Foodsaver vacuum sealer is worth having even without sous-vide. It saves me a ton of money every year -- less waste, no freezer-burn. And then I also use it for sous vide.

It is without a doubt the most important innovation in the culinary landscape since refrigeration. It's really that important. And if you have a couple hundred bucks worth of equipment and 20 minutes of instruction, you can make food that is far superior than most restaurants. All the best fine dining joints are doing this -- no loss of flavor. No loss of vitamins. No loss of anything. Total control. A world of perfectly soft boiled eggs, perfectly hard-boiled eggs, perfect asparagus and perfect beef. Impossible to over or under cook food.

And it doesn't cost much. A few hundred total -- circulator, sealer and rolls of sealing material. I have one here and one on the mainland because I refuse to cook without them.

Michael Ruhlman wrote what I consider the best nuts-and-bolts book -- Under Pressure, Cooking Sous Vide. Start there.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
If it is not cooked inside the Bird it is Dressing not Stuffing. Don't get me started on Stove Top.

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I would REALLY like to either take a class in this, or watch a YouTube video of the process. I don't own either a vacuum sealer or a sous vide circulator, and really don't know where to start.
It sounds great, but for just two of us (fairly handy- but stuck in the '70's- in the kitchen) and with limited storage space for more kitchen gadgets, ya gotta draw a line someplace.

Jim

I'd start with just the circulator. I had vacuum sealer already but almost never use it - I bought a couple of food grade silicone bags ("stasher" brand) that I use often, and the vacuum sealer lives in the basement and only comes out if we buy in bulk and need to freeze**. But if you're starting out even zip locks will work reasonably well. Fine for shorter cooking times (eg, anything leaner - white meat poultry, steaks, etc).

The circulator itself (I have an anova branded one but there are lots of equally good choices) doesn't take up much room. You can easily just use a large pot as the base. I've cut a hole in the lid of a cooler for the circulator and use that to help reduce heat transfer (which helps my sous vide warm up faster and maintain temp easier by reducing heat loss) but a stock pot will work just fine.

In fact, I've done a "poor man's" sous vide in a TS kitchen before. I didn't have my circulator, so I put a large pot full of water on the stove with a thermometer in it. I adjusted the heat until it was holding steady at my desired temperature and then added the food. Worked like a charm.

Sous vide is just cooking something in water at the temperature you want it to be at when you eat it (which means your food is always exactly the correct temperature, never over done and never under done). The idea is simple, and like anything else you can buy as much or as little gear in pursuit of that process as you want.

I'm partial to the guides from Serious Eats written by Kenji Lopez-Alt. They're conversational but also based in science, and targeted at the home cook, and also available free online.

**freezing is where I love the vacuum sealer. If I buy meat bulk I'll prep it in vacuum seal bags (ie with whatever marinade I'll plan to use) and freeze the whole thing. Then it goes directly from the freezer into the sous vide.

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
How does one get that extra special crispy skin sous vide? Might as well microwave the light meat and dark meat separately. Blech.

I want the Maillard reactions that occur more than100F above the boiling point of water.

Last edited:

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
How does one get that extra special crispy skin sous vide? Might as well microwave the light meat and dark meat separately. Blech.

I want the Maillard reactions that occur more than100F above the boiling point of water.

You sear the food after cooking. There are lots of ways to do that, depending on the type of food. For steaks I sous vide for a couple of hours to medium rare, then sear on my gas grill at 500°. Perfect medium rare all the way through, grill marks and sear on the outside.

But other methods of searing include a broiler, oven, frying pan (I often use cast iron with high smoke point oil at high temps). Some people even use a cooking torch to sear.

Deep frying works well for some things. I make a mean Italian style pork chop - sous vide the pork (so it isn't dry/overcooked but is safe). Then bread it and flash fry in oil to crisp the coating. You get the best of both worlds - crisp delicious coating and moist juicy center. It's theoretically possible to achieve that with other methods but the level of difficulty is very high, whereas with this method I can supervise my kids, make sides, and still generate breaded pork chops equal to a fine dining experience.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
So might as well have just oven baked it for 3-4 hours instead of over complicating the process.

Turkey white meat begins to dry out at 145f. Turkey dark meat needs hold at 165f for a couple hours. That's why sous vide rules. Your recipe above will result in a dry breast and undercooked thighs. Adding liquid to the cavity (in the form of apples an onions) results in longer roasting times, which further dries out the breast. It's the same with "beer can" chicken. The can of beer is detrimental to the cooking process. (The vertical roasting is a winner, though.) Even if you prove it to people with a side-by-side example, they'll go right back to adding the beer can -- because people want it to be true. Same as the cook with his avocado pits.

You can't lead the horse to water -- it refuses.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Here's my recipe:

Nov. 23: Make an injection marinade. Separate white and dark meat. Inject. Season the skin liberally. Vacuum seal. Refrigerate. (Now the injection marinade has all night to distribute itself, under pressure.) Peel and cut potatoes into uniform discs (best practice for boiling). Boil in stock. Drain and rice. Shred a mess of Brussels sprouts in the Robot Coupe. Refrigerate the potatoes and veg. Crack a beer. You're done for today.
Nov. 24: Wake up early, heat a big pot of water. Toss the dark meat in an insulated container at 165f. Four hours later, set circulator for 145f and toss in the white meat. Make giblet gravy and stuffing. Heat riced potatoes with butter and cream. Make sides. 20 minutes before serving, unbag turkey, place under infrared broiler until skin is shatteringly crisp. Dark meat on a platter. Pile high with stuffing. White meat on top. Carve and serve.

The best thing about sous-vide is that it is easy. Autopilot cooking. Impossible to over or under-cook food. I can watch football all day and knock out the side dishes during halftime breaks. I don't even think about it because Isaac Newton is doing all the work for me. Clean up amounts to tossing a couple bags away. I'll never understand why people do this the hard way.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
It is nice to see a person that no matter the topic is absolutely sure their way is the best way and only way. Every person is entitled to an opinion. But that is all it is "Their opinion."

ScoopKona

Reaction score
I make a mean Italian style pork chop - sous vide the pork (so it isn't dry/overcooked but is safe). Then bread it and flash fry in oil to crisp the coating. You get the best of both worlds - crisp delicious coating and moist juicy center.

You can make fried chicken the same way. Sous vide at 165f. (I add lemon and thyme, like TK does.) Then standard three-step breading and flash fry. No more over cooked meat and undercooked around the bone.

I imagine there was the same kind of pushback when refrigerators were invented. "Why would I want to buy one of those gadgets? The ice house and my ice box have worked for decades. Keep that newfangled gimcrack to yourself, whippersnapper!"

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
You can make fried chicken the same way. Sous vide at 165f. (I add lemon and thyme, like TK does.) Then standard three-step breading and flash fry. No more over cooked meat and undercooked around the bone.

I imagine there was the same kind of pushback when refrigerators were invented. "Why would I want to buy one of those gadgets? The ice house and my ice box have worked for decades. Keep that newfangled gimcrack to yourself, whippersnapper!"

I do that process for a chicken sandwich. Chicken parts (breast or thigh) pounded thin, sous vide in pickle brine (acid break down plus flavour) and then batter. I use a cornstarch based batter for extra crunch. Quick dunk in the deep fryer and we're good to go. I add ancho chili powder to the batter for a smoked flavour.

Since I have the deep fryer out I always do fries at the same time. It's like a fast food chicken sandwich combo, only way, way better. I'm partial to a Chipotle BBQ sauce, but my wife prefers a dill aioli, so I always end up making 2 sauces.

Edited to add: I do chicken parm in a similar way, although I finish that under the broiler to melt the cheese.

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Turkey white meat begins to dry out at 145f. Turkey dark meat needs hold at 165f for a couple hours. That's why sous vide rules. Your recipe above will result in a dry breast and undercooked thighs.
You must be unfamiliar with what brining does.

Every time I have used this recipe, some of my guests comment it is the juiciest turkey they have eaten. I would suggest that anyone who wants similar comments to give the recipe a try.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
You must be unfamiliar with what brining does.

Every time I have used this recipe, some of my guests comment it is the juiciest turkey they have eaten. I would suggest that anyone who wants similar comments to give the recipe a try.

I'm a retired chef. I've brined a few birds before.

Don't really understand the pushback against what is the biggest culinary innovation in my lifetime. But keep roasting if that's your thing. I'll go with whatever the best method is. And if someone invents something better than sous vide, I'll stop doing that and adopt the new system. I just want whatever is best. And again, one last time -- turkey white meat starts to dry out at 145f; turkey dark meat needs hours at 165f. There is no way to solve that problem with one bird in one oven. Every method which isn't "cook the two separately" is a compromise -- and usually a bad compromise.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
That menu and the price are excellent. Are drinks and coffee included.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
That menu and the price are excellent. Are drinks and coffee included.

I want to say coffee and tea were included but I don't remember since we usually have a cocktail or beer.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
That does seem like a bargain price considering the number of choices.

Many of their other event menu's are $60 to $65 but they usually have a Poke bar with about 10 different styles and also Prime Rib. Never had a bad meal at Hiro's. shaka

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
Many of their other event menu's are $60 to $65 but they usually have a Poke bar with about 10 different styles and also Prime Rib. Never had a bad meal at Hiro's. shaka

Makes sense that subbing turkey for prime rib would reduce the price (its way cheaper).

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm a retired chef. I've brined a few birds before.

Don't really understand the pushback against what is the biggest culinary innovation in my lifetime. But keep roasting if that's your thing.
Then you must know that what you posted about "dry white meat" is simply not true; especially since I have prepared a number of turkeys using that recipe, and you have not.

How many chef's earning a living in restaurants will be using sous vide instead of traditional roasted turkey? :cool:

Maybe they are just not "innovating" chefs.

It is not "pushback"; it is sensibility. If you are going to roast the turkey after sous vide, then just roast the turkey for 3-4 hours like the professional chefs, and do not over complicate what is a simple process.

Last edited:

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Good morning. Kim & Slip,
That is one good looking Paddlers Tea. What are the ingredients in it??
Please have another one for me.LOL

Aloha

It was delicious and strong.

PADDLERS ICE TEA
Rum, Vodka, Gin, Tequila, Triple Sec, sour, passion, mango, tea

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I just heard a cold front is coming through Wednesday night so it will be cooler for our Thanksgiving Dinner. Not used to 75 for a high.

Screenshot_20221121-143129_AccuWeather.jpg