• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Thank You TUG and Some Rescinding ???

outofcontrol

Reaction score
First let me say thank you to TUG and its members. My wife and I recently bought a time share at the Elara in Las Vegas, through HGVC. The next morning I regretted the decision. I came to TUG and read about the rescinding process. I faxed in a letter stating that we were rescinding our purchase. I also faxed in the rescind notice that came with the public offering statement along with the front page of the contract. This was two days after signing the contract. The next day I sent these same papers certified mail with return service. TUG made this process much easier.

It has now been five days since we signed the contract. We have not heard any thing form HGVC. I would like to call them and see if the process is going through. Is this possible? How long does it take to get a response from HGVC?

Thanks again for the help

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I would not call - they are not going to be helpful, and they are going to use it as an opportunity to do everything they can to talk you out of it.

Calling has no impact on your rescission, and no legal standing.

I am assuming you have a receipt to prove that you mailed the letter in a timely manner? That's all you need.

Patience Grasshopper - it will probably be closer to 30 days before you hear anything, and it may only be a credit on your credit card. They have no obligation to contact you otherwise.

outofcontrol

Reaction score
They can not talk me out of it. I assure you of that. I do have a receipt for the letter. I believe, by law they have 15 days to credit the money back to our card. I know it has no influence on our rescission, I was thinking more along the lines of sending the papers again if they say it was not being processed.

The process just seems to simple to work. I must be over thinking it.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
The thing is that it doesn't matter what they say - they could say they didn't get it as a stalling tactic - don't call. ;)

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I second what Denise says. Don't call. I'm not sure about the 'must credit the card within 15 days' thing. Might be as much as 45. As long as you have the post office receipt you'll be good. HDVC is an honorable outfit, and will comply with the law. Unlike some timeshare outfits you could be dealing with.

Once you get your refund, and if you are still interested in timeshare, stick around. Do some reading around the TUG site. There is a lot of info here, and people who like to share it. Once you understand the product, you'll be in a position to be an informed consumer. Or not.

Welcome to TUG,

Jim

outofcontrol

Reaction score
I will not call.

I am interested in time shares. If I get my refund, I will be consider purchasing one for a much better price. The real deal breaker is the maintenance fees. I have a lot to read here on TUG!

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am interested in time shares. If I get my refund, I will be consider purchasing one for a much better price. The real deal breaker is the maintenance fees. I have a lot to read here on TUG!

You'll get your refund.

Yeah, maintenance fees (here you'll see them as MF) are a PITA! They are inescapable and increase every year, and the bills always come in with little to no grace period at holiday season just when you really don't want another bill.

Just a fact of timeshare life. And today, it is not too difficult to rent a week in a nice timeshare unit for less than it's underlying MF (being sorta flexible about where to go helps).

Jim

Brerrabbit

Reaction score
If you are concerned about maintenance fees, I would strongly suggest you NOT buy a timeshare. If you want to go to one of these places on a vacation, just call them up and ask them if they rent units by the week and what do you have to do to make a reservation, etc. I think if you call the timeshare's office directly, you would be much less likely to get ripped off than if you get it directly from some owner (or someone claiming to be an owner). If you like it and want to go back again next year, just do the same thing. If you get tired of it after a while then just stop going back, and you are not getting stuck with maintenance fees every year.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It is actually very safe to rent from an owner, and easy to verify if a rental is Legit. It can cost you twice as much to rent directly from the resort.

More info. - http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109479

When there is a rental scam, it is almost always a phony renter, trying to scam the owner, not the other way around...

DebDiver

Reaction score
Rescinding Contracts

We were victims of trying to get out of a timeshare deal in Mexico. It ending us costing an attorney fee, so I am now grateful to be a member here, just in case, although hopefully we have learned our lesson! If it is too good to be true, it is

DebDiver

Reaction score
Maintenance Fees

I bought my first time share in 1982, pre construction,, and really had no clue what I was doing, except traveling is in my blood.
A few years later, I returned one week back to the resort, and bought two weeks in Florida, sight unseen. Eventually managing to barter one week and I was left with the other. The maintenance fees kept increasing, and in addition, I was faced with almost an annual special assessment.
While in Cozumel during an exchange, I mentioned this to the resort manager. He suggested I write to the HOA, and say that I had agreed to the maintenance fees, but not the constant special assessments, and I wished to return that unit to the resort. I paid $400 to do this, and was free of $1000 a year maintenance and the prospect of another $2500 special assessment.
I hope this experience will help someone else facing the same situation.

forrester

Reaction score
Rescission Letter Written Today. Thanks TUG!

Visited Daytona on 12/8/13, attended presentation, signed documents, viewed your site same nite. Returned home 12/9. Rescission letter going out today. So glad I found your site.

forrester

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Glad you found us forrester! Come back and read before you buy again, this time resale!

Last edited:

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
Visited Daytona on 12/8/13, attended presentation, signed documents, viewed your site same nite. Returned home 12/9. Rescission letter going out today. So glad I found your site.

forrester

Congratulations and Welcome

The Board Manager keeps a running total, it's approaching 1 million, many of the 95 didn't say what the signed up for in $$$

Total Owners KNOWN to have beenSaved: 95
Total Dollars KNOWN to have been saved: $924,800

http://tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196108

If you don't want to post send him a PM - If nothing else it shows how good the developers are at making that sale in 2-4 hours

Last edited: