• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Thank goodness for insurance !

sun starved Gayle

TUG Member
Reaction score
My husband had a mishap in camp while on a kayak/rafting trip on the main Salmon River in Idaho. He slipped off a mud covered boulder and hit his head, knocking himself out. It turns out he had a severe concussion, and his face looked like it had been in a blender. He had to be airlifted out by helicopter to a trauma center in Lewiston, Idaho. That was not the best call to receive at 10:45 at night.

After a three day hospital stay, he is home now and doing well. I called our insurance to find out what we were on the hook for the helicopter, and was told our portion was $50.00. We were guessing what the total helicopter bill would be, and thought maybe $15,000. You can imagine our surprise when the bill came yesterday and it was $41,160.00 !

Thank goodness for insurance.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
That's great! I pay $50 a year to be a 'member of our hospital's 'Air' program so that those flights would be covered. You just never know when a medical emergency will strike. We always considered ourselves in better than average health, and even considered not buying a supplement to cover what Medicare doesn't. But that was before my DW was diagnosed with a chronic leukemia, and as of right now, her meds are $20,420 a month (actually 28 days) and she'll be on them the rest of her life. Insurance covers all but about $500/mo.

Jim

Last edited:

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
If everyone paid cash what would the cost of the helicopter be?

Hopefully someone without insurance or cash would not be left there or forced to canoe/walk out.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
wow, ouch.

Hope he's ok.
Modern medicine may be expensive. But it's worth it in those cases.
Yikes.

sun starved Gayle

TUG Member
Reaction score

Hopefully someone without insurance or cash would not be left there or forced to canoe/walk out.

They came without asking about insurance. The bill does say "if you do not have insurance the entire amount is due upon receipt". Yes, wait just a minute while I get my wallet.........

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score

You won't be walking or canoeing out of the Salmon River wilderness in central Idaho. It's fly or die.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
I have seen a few news stories about helicopter flights bankrupting people.. Based on that bill i can see why.. Its a great service when needed, but obviously very expensive.

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Makes one wonder how the $41K is itemized/rationalized.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Glad your husband is okay. Keep paying those insurance premiums. :)

Dave

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
What a relief for you that he is okay and the incident not going to break the bank.

Taking hikes is so risky, and as I age, I am more worried about every step. During our Maui trip last year, we took some friends, and she fell on a hike off of the Hana Road drive we took. She fell and conked her head so hard, I could hear it, and she stood up and was embarrassed. Rick watched her the rest of the day for signs of concussion. We are all in our late 50's and early 60's. We shouldn't be walking on wet rocks. Just sayin'. I don't see me doing that hike again. And by the way, she just had rotator cuff on surgery on 7/5 from her many falls, and a lot of them were vacation and camping trips.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
What a relief for you that he is okay and the incident not going to break the bank.

Taking hikes is so risky, and as I age, I am more worried about every step. During our Maui trip last year, we took some friends, and she fell on a hike off of the Hana Road drive we took. She fell and conked her head so hard, I could hear it, and she stood up and was embarrassed. Rick watched her the rest of the day for signs of concussion. We are all in our late 50's and early 60's. We shouldn't be walking on wet rocks. Just sayin'. I don't see me doing that hike again. And by the way, she just had rotator cuff on surgery on 7/5 from her many falls, and a lot of them were vacation and camping trips.

Agree. Though I have seen people in their 80's hiking up 6000 foot mountains. Crazy. My husband and I stick to mostly flat walks or very easy mini hikes.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook

The reason so many things today are so expensive is because we have insurances in the first place. If no one had insurance- prices would have to come down. But then again- many services would probably disappear. I don't know what the answer is.

Last edited:

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Insurance won't pay that much either. They will negotiate it down. When DH was airlifted three years ago, the bill was similar. After the fact, I got a paper from the flight company telling me to sign that I would pay whatever insurance didn't. Of course, I never signed. It took months and I got a few notices, but insurance told me not to worry about it. It just took that long to reach a fair reimbursement. I paid nothing beyond what I may have owed for a deductible or co-pay. Most likely I was maxed out by then. I also know a girl without insurance who was airlifted. She thought she would be paying for the ride the rest of her life. It was paid for by a benevolence-type fund or agreement through the hospital.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
What kind of insurance covered this given this was in the U.S.? Health insurance? or did you purchase extra travel insurance?

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark

From 1999-2002 we lived in a community with a private beach. We'd go down on Sunday mornings to look at the tide pools. One morning Cliff ended up on his back looking at the sky, and at the same time I managed to do the splits between two wet rocks. Each of us was wondering why the other hadn't come to help them out of their predicament. From then on we stayed off the darn rocks and kept to the sand and/or dry rocks!

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I suspect that the insurance company has some negotiated rate that they have worked out and pay only a small portion of the $41K. Kinda like those big doctor bills of $500 and insurance pays only $125. They never expected to get $500, or $41K in the case of the helicopter.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I suspect that the insurance company has some negotiated rate that they have worked out and pay only a small portion of the $41K. Kinda like those big doctor bills of $500 and insurance pays only $125. They never expected to get $500, or $41K in the case of the helicopter.
One of the most compelling reasons to buy health insurance is to benefit from their ability to negotiate rates. If you don't have insurance and are 'private pay', you can ASK for the same price insurance carriers pay, but the provider is under no obligation to give it to you. That's one of the BIG beefs with Medicare- Believe it or not, Medicare is NOT ALLOWED to negotiate lower prices from drug companies! Insurance carriers can negotiate, Other nations can negotiate, but not Medicare! It's one of the reasons Americans pay more for health care (by far) than ANY other country, yet 125 other countries people live longer.

Jim

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
One of the most compelling reasons to buy health insurance is to benefit from their ability to negotiate rates. If you don't have insurance and are 'private pay', you can ASK for the same price insurance carriers pay, but the provider is under no obligation to give it to you. That's one of the BIG beefs with Medicare- Believe it or not, Medicare is NOT ALLOWED to negotiate lower prices from drug companies! Insurance carriers can negotiate, Other nations can negotiate, but not Medicare! It's one of the reasons Americans pay more for health care (by far) than ANY other country, yet 125 other countries people live longer.

Jim

I had no insurance for 2 years a few years back. In every case, where I lived, the cost to me (cash rate) was less than the negotiated BCBS rate they paid when I was covered. I am sure this can widely differ, but that was my experience.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I had no insurance for 2 years a few years back. In every case, where I lived, the cost to me (cash rate) was less than the negotiated BCBS rate they paid when I was covered. I am sure this can widely differ, but that was my experience.
You were fortunate. It isn't always like that. But then, many people just don't ask for a discount. They get a bill and simply pay it.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score

I am sure a lot of the cost is standby cost. How they charge for that I am not sure.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
You were fortunate. It isn't always like that. But then, many people just don't ask for a discount. They get a bill and simply pay it.

Probably both are true, but I always ask. Just because someone sends me a bill does not mean I owe it! The hospital I was in earlier this year tried to bill me for the difference between insurance discount, and, their ridiculous full charge, over $70k. Did I pay it? Of course not. I let insurance hassle them and they eventually reversed it.

I get charged < $50 for a doctor visit, with labs....

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
My husband had a mishap in camp while on a kayak/rafting trip on the main Salmon River in Idaho. He slipped off a mud covered boulder and hit his head, knocking himself out. It turns out he had a severe concussion, and his face looked like it had been in a blender. He had to be airlifted out by helicopter to a trauma center in Lewiston, Idaho. That was not the best call to receive at 10:45 at night.

After a three day hospital stay, he is home now and doing well. I called our insurance to find out what we were on the hook for the helicopter, and was told our portion was $50.00. We were guessing what the total helicopter bill would be, and thought maybe $15,000. You can imagine our surprise when the bill came yesterday and it was $41,160.00 !

Thank goodness for insurance.
How horrible what happened. I am glad your husband is doing well.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort

I hike. I fell and hit my head hard walking out of a ladies room. It made me realize life can change in a moment and with any step tradegy can happen. I was lucky, I am still kicking.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
I hike. I fell and hit my head hard walking out of a ladies room. It made me realize life can change in a moment and with any step tradegy can happen. I was lucky, I am still kicking.

This is very true indeed. You don't have to be doing dangerous things.