• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Texting etiquette question

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I don't always. Sometimes I do. Depends who it is to and the purpose of the text.

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I only say Hi or Hello if it's someone I haven't texted with in a while or have little contact with. I have at least 30 people that I consider our back and forth texting to be one really long conversation. No reason to randomly say hello in the middle of that conversation.

Back to the OP, I have exactly one friend who always starts her text with Hi (my name) it's (her name). Since there's only one person out of a few dozen that I text with on a regular basis, I would say No, it's not rude to not say hello at the beginning of the text. Most people don't do it.

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't think it's rude. I usually start with GM (good morning). If later on, I will say, Hi ........w/name.....

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
One thing that drives Patti nuts is close friends that text vice call. So they will spend 30 to 45 minutes texting back and forth - asking, answering, clarifying, etc. She does not understand why they so not just call and get the whole communication/arranging done in 5 minutes or less.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
I do not initiate a text often, so tend to use talk to text when I need too, but then I have to add punctuation and caps where necessary. If I do not, it is just one long sentence.

When someone sends me a text, and I discover it, I just respond with no greeting. If there is one, it is "Oops - just saw this!" :)

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I don't like typing on my phone so I like to be as brief as possible. No greeting, and no signature, unless I think the person I'm sending the text to might not know who it is. I do however use full words, upper and lower case, and punctuation.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Just for fun, someone should correlate the each response in this thread with what they selected in the "What age group are you?" poll/thread that is currently active. It would be interesting, to say the least. :ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO:

Kurt

geekette

Reaction score
One thing that drives Patti nuts is close friends that text vice call. So they will spend 30 to 45 minutes texting back and forth - asking, answering, clarifying, etc. She does not understand why they so not just call and get the whole communication/arranging done in 5 minutes or less.
Call me Patti, as that would drive me nuts, too.

geekette

Reaction score
For me, texting isn't the place to be chatty. Short, succinct, to the point, straight info. My first-ever text was to my kids, and I was scolded for "talking" too much.
Oh boy, this would be me, as my texting is landline so it would be from my laptop, as much talk ability as a Tug post. probably anyone that has seen me here knows that I can be long winded.

Tried it when I got it, overloaded my recipient, and that was that.

geekette

Reaction score
No salutations. Except to Patti - professing my Love for her.

This needed special recognition. It's so sweet! I am going to guess that you don't use the same thing every time, either. I remember on Everybody Loves Raymond, he would greet Debra with something different each time. Of course, it was a sitcom, so some of those were to make us laugh.

rhonda

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
I don't like typing on my phone so I like to be as brief as possible.
I don’t like typing on my phone either ... so 80%+ of my texting is through my iPad or laptop. If I must text via phone I lean the phone’s dictation feature pretty heavily ... but then I must go back and edit as it doesn’t seem to have context for half of my common communications. I don’t think dictation has ever understood the invitation/question: “Hay run?”

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
OP, you asked about texting close friends or family members.
I hardly ever do when texting my husband or daughter.
I usually do with friends
I sometimes do with my parents. Example: yesterday, I needed to ask dad a favor, so I certainly started off with a "good morning dad!"

For clients - I always start off with a greeting.

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score

OMG, I have one friend that voice texts. Drives me nuts! She goes on and on. She is a life long friend and I finally told her I don't listen to them, just get to the point.