• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Texas to re-open May 1st

jjking42

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV and SVV, Wyndham Canterbury, Wyndham Flagstaff

Not sure how this will effect timeshares. Their is a a Hyatt and several Wyndham timeshares in San Antonio. I have never stayed at a timeshare in Texas but might try one this summer.

Growing up on the east coast I always thought of Texas as West. According to Tug this post should be in the Central states forum. Maybe one of the Mods can moves it to the correct Forum

Last edited:

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
I work with a few guys in the Houston area, and they thought Houston may continue with more restrictive policies for a while even after it has loosened up at the state level.

Kurt

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
I work with a few guys in the Houston area, and they thought Houston may continue with more restrictive policies for a while even after it has loosened up at the state level.

Kurt

It's going to be interesting to see that tug-of-war as the Governor of Texas has stated his proclamation supersedes all local and county COVID-19 policies.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
It's going to be interesting to see that tug-of-war as the Governor of Texas has stated his proclamation supersedes all local and county COVID-19 policies.
I don't think the governor can force businesses to open.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
In the end, it's about individuals. If customers don't feel safe patronizing any business, they won't do there. When business owners find customers and employees getting sick and theirs is the only place sick customers feel they got infected, they'll close- or be opened up to 'reckless endangerment' laws.

Yes, people want desperately to come out of isolation. Me too. And it looks like the actual death ratio to infection is something like 2%, but which 2% of the population are you willing to sacrifice for a restaurant meal or a drink?

Jim

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
I don't think the governor can force businesses to open.

That's not what I meant nor is it what the Governor said. What he said was that a local city or county could not pass an ordinance or policy or issue an executive order which was more restrictive than that of the State.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
We should not assume that everyone will want to stay isolated until there is a zero chance of getting the virus (2 years from now?). A lot of small businesses want to open, a lot of employees want to work and a lot of customers want to buy and be served. Nobody has to choose who are the 2% who die (or 0.2% rather if we believe the new studies), people will weight their own risk the same as when you go on a road trip, smoke, swim with the sharks, visit a country or a neighborhood that has some safety concerns.

Last edited:

MrockStar

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
As the saga continues for states rights plays out it will be very interesting to watch the American people choose: Work/Freedom/and Metal Health or Physical Heath/Government Dependency and Isolation. :ponder:

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
In the end, it's about individuals. If customers don't feel safe patronizing any business, they won't do there. When business owners find customers and employees getting sick and theirs is the only place sick customers feel they got infected, they'll close- or be opened up to 'reckless endangerment' laws.

Yes, people want desperately to come out of isolation. Me too. And it looks like the actual death ratio to infection is something like 2%, but which 2% of the population are you willing to sacrifice for a restaurant meal or a drink?

Jim
I think this is why there needs to be some protection against lawsuits for businesses. You can't easily prove that it was the business where you got sick, even if it was the only place you went. Also, how do you prove it was the only place you went? Perhaps GPS phone tracking? I am sure attorney's are lining up to open up a lot of cases. Business shouldn't fear getting sued over opening up to make a living. I think the only way one should be able to bring a successful suite is if a business had an employee working who they knew tested positive. How can a business be liable if an asymptomatic customer comes in right before another person that later gets sick?

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Texas has one of the lowest death rates of any state, far less that California, Ohio, and many other states that were commended for acting quickly. Texas has one of the highest recovery rates as well. Texas gets a bad rap. Before any phase 2 hits, they are going to make sure there is not a flare up of cases over a 2 week period. I would wonder why Texas has mostly (as a whole) been spared? 2 deaths per 100K is lower than almost any other state. Perhaps a different strain, all these state differences are tough to reconcile. I live right by Texas, and, in the far northern counties, not very many cases. I suspect some will stay closed in more of the hotspot areas. But it's a very big state with widely varying statistics. There are not a ton of timeshares there, will be interesting to see if any of those open. I've stayed in a number of them and always enjoyed Galveston stays.

To the OP, I grew up in Ohio and yes, Texas was considered west of course. Remember all those western movies after all? Lol. But I doubt someone from California would necessarily think of Texas as west. We consider ourselves as S. Central.

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch, Hyatt Main Street Station, Hyatt Ka’anapali; Marriott Ko’Olina, Marriott Waiohai; Marriott Maui Ocean Club; Wyndham CWA points, Worldmark credits.

Not sure how this will effect timeshares. Their is a a Hyatt and several Wyndham timeshares in San Antonio. I have never stayed at a timeshare in Texas but might try one this summer.

Growing up on the east coast I always thought of Texas as West. According to Tug this post should be in the Central states forum. Maybe one of the Mods can moves it to the correct Forum
If one looks at a map of the US, the populous part of Texas is clearly in the south Central part of the US. Closer to the Atlantic vs the Pacific. Traveling on I-10, Houston to Jacksonville, Fl is 870 miles. Houston to LA is 1,547 miles. Dallas-Jacksonville 997. Dallas-LA 1,436. Of course El Paso to LA is 800 miles and to Jacksonville is 1,600 miles. I guess it depends which part of Texas you live in.