• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Texas being Texas

goaliedave

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Raintree, Diamond (bought by Hilton), Shell (bought by Wyndham), Sheraton (bought by Marriott), Palace Resorts, a few independants

We should all agree to end this little virus thing by Easter, fill the churches in joy, and get back to spending $ like crazy to save the economy!

Sent from my SM-A505G using Tapatalk

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
So many peep die from the flu, what's a few more old geezers?
... As long as it's not me.
<satire>

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Texas is handling the shutdown perfectly. Governor Abbott is letting the individual cities and counties decide what to do for themselves rather than shutting down the whole state. His decision is based on a huge majority of the population of this large state being in 3 large cities.. .

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Texas is handling the shutdown perfectly. Governor Abbott is letting the individual cities and counties decide what to do for themselves rather than shutting down the whole state. His decision is based on a huge majority of the population of this large state being in 3 large cities.. .

Gov. Greg Abbott expressed some dissatisfaction Tuesday with how Texans are responding to various measures to curb the coronavirus pandemic, signaling an openness to imposing stricter statewide action soon.

"It's clear to me that we may not be achieving the level of compliance that is needed," Abbott said during a news conference in Austin. "That's why I said before I remain flexible in my statewide standard.

I felt he did the right thing. Let's hope he doesn't change his mind.

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.

...and most of the remainder being spread across a huge expanse. In many of these cases, social distancing is an everyday reality of life.

As an aside, has anyone looked at the case count for some of the rural counties of Texas and New York?
Clearly, one of the issues causing this spread has to do with the questionable (at best) idea of concentrating a large amount of people in a small area.
Perhaps now we will see more people leaving the large urban areas.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS

Green acres is the place to be
Farm livin' is the life for me
Land spreadin' out so far and wide
Keep Manhattan, just give me that countryside.

-- Theme Song from "Green Acres"

Brett

Reaction score
As a Texas resident I can tell you I'm not thrilled with that statement by Lt. Gov Patrick. I'll invite him to stand right up and be the first in line though.

Texas is more rural than other states
It's closer to Mexico where the health experts have been dismissed and the economy has "re-opened"

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
New Mexico, which may be more rural and also close to Mexico has shut down. Our governor would like everyone in the state to be tested so we know the full extent. Currently we are number three in the country in the number (or maybe it's percentage) of the population that has been tested. If she'd left it up to the cities/counties I'm sure there are some that wouldn't have put such strict requirements in place.

https://www.msnbc.com/11th-hour/wat...new-mexico-s-coronavirus-response-81123909679

JohnPaul

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
...and most of the remainder being spread across a huge expanse. In many of these cases, social distancing is an everyday reality of life.

As an aside, has anyone looked at the case count for some of the rural counties of Texas and New York?
Clearly, one of the issues causing this spread has to do with the questionable (at best) idea of concentrating a large amount of people in a small area.

If you look at New York, every day new counties are showing infections. Just a few left that don't have any. If you wait until there are a lot of cases it is WAY too late.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
If you look at New York, every day new counties are showing infections. Just a few left that don't have any. If you wait until there are a lot of cases it is WAY too late.
I agree with you @JohnPaul from the standpoint that limits on testing are likely not giving us the full picture. But look at these case counts by county:

And click here for a visual map of the same data.

To be clear, my point was that I see one outcome of this pandemic as being another push factor AWAY from urban living. That would be a very positive development because people living in close proximity have helped accelerate the spread of COVID 19.

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's not just the elderly.

What about a 30/40 year old sister, mom, aunt, daughter - who is in remission from some type of cancer? She could have lived another 20, 30 40 years.

What about a brother, dad, uncle, son, aunt, mom, sister who is going through early stages or is in remission from colon cancer/breast cancer? etc. etc.

What about the young person with asthma - etc. etc.

One really has to take a chance and sacrifice a lot of people.

Every morning I wake up thinking this is all a nightmare. I look for any positive news everyday. Something good/positive and fast for everyone's sake - physically, mentally, financially, etc. etc. etc.

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Texas is more rural than other states
It's closer to Mexico where the health experts have been dismissed and the economy has "re-opened"

Explore the interactive Social Distancing Scoreboard

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Explore the interactive Social Distancing Scoreboard

New York gets an A in social distancing??? :oops:

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
New York gets an A in social distancing??? :oops:

I hope they based their grade on the entire state and not just the city. :eek:

goaliedave

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Raintree, Diamond (bought by Hilton), Shell (bought by Wyndham), Sheraton (bought by Marriott), Palace Resorts, a few independants

Amen!

Sent from my SM-A505G using Tapatalk

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have been in favor of localized management as well. I've driven through Texas...and it's a long and mostly lonely drive in any direction once you leave the big towns.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I have been in favor of localized management as well. I've driven through Texas...and it's a long and mostly lonely drive in any direction once you leave the big towns.
So, one county or city orders shelter in place and another doesn't. Someone from the un-sheltered location unknowingly contracts COVID-19 and then travels to another location, be it sheltered or un-sheltered.

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I would expect a Big City Person might take a drive out of town. Perhaps they own a Lake House and want to stay there. I wouldn't expect a Tiny Town person would decide to head for the Big City that is under lockdown.

So, in the above scenerio, you feel Tiny Town, population 500 people, no cases of COVID-19, should have to SIP just in case a Big City dweller comes into their town?

===

An interesting twist is the reality where I live. Palm Springs has placed a freeze on all vacation rentals because some people who are on lock down in Lo s Angeles decided it would be more pleasant to spend it poolside in the desert.

Last edited:

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I would expect a Big City Person might take a drive out of town. Perhaps they own a Lake House and want to stay there. I wouldn't expect a Tiny Town person would decide to head for the Big City that is under lockdown.

So, in the above scenerio, you feel Tiny Town, population 500 people, no cases of COVID-19, should have to SIP just in case a Big City dweller comes into their town?

===

An interesting twist is the reality where I live. Palm Springs has placed a freeze on all vacation rentals because people who are on lock down in Lo s Angeles.
I believe in these unknown times it's better to be safe than sorry. I wouldn't dare to predict who would travel where.

nerodog

TUG Member
Reaction score
As a Texas resident I can tell you I'm not thrilled with that statement by Lt. Gov Patrick. I'll invite him to stand right up and be the first in line though.
Yes he could set an example

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)