• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Tesla Chargers near Sea Pines August 11-17, help!

jmmoultn

TUG Member
Reaction score
That's why I was asking what a 1200 mile drive to FL would be like.

Captain, there are 2 types of chargers -- Tesla Superchargers are common along major highways, like 95, and can charge at 3-500 mph (making for short rest stops of 20-40 minutes every few hours, which works great). No Superchargers in HHI though, so you need "Destination Chargers", which charge at slower rates (20-60 mph), and are made for leaving the car on them for longer periods (like overnight).

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Are there any Destination Chargers on Sea Pines Island? There is a gas station on Sea Pines Island, they may know where one is located. Surly, there is someone on Sea Pines Plantation that is driving a Tesla automobile IMHO.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
So, in summary, a Tesla is more convenient than a traditional vehicle.

It's funny you say that, because I had never looked at it that way myself. I've always been concerned about the fact there are fewer places to charge than there are to get gas. But Wahoo's post #50 was an "Ah Ha" moment for me. I had never considered that with a Tesla or other EV, for 95% of my driving, I would always have a "full tank" because every morning the car would be fully charged in the garage. I am notorious for being in a hurry/running late for something, going to my car, and seeing the low fuel warning light come on as I pull out of the garage. I then have to start thinking about how I can get where I'm going by way of a nearby gas station. With an EV, those days would be over. No more time wasted filling up! That would be convenient!

Now a long highway trip is another matter, and the lower density of charging options/Superchargers compared to gas stations would take some planning - so in that case, a traditional vehicle is probably still more convenient than an EV. But I will say this thread has really got me to thinking more about an EV for the future. If Tesla came out with a convertible version of the Model 3, it just might be too much to resist! Elon, are you listening?

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Are there any Destination Chargers on Sea Pines Island? There is a gas station on Sea Pines Island, they may know where one is located. Surly, there is someone on Sea Pines Plantation that is driving a Tesla automobile IMHO.
Plugshare lists 7 on the island for Tesslas, no superchargers. Most are destination but a couple are not. There are notes on Plugshare for both Surfwatch and GO that they are for the guests staying there only. Only the ones at Coligny and Shelter Cove look to be for public use. Maybe go to Sonesta or Westin for a drink and dinner to get a couple hours of charging. The other issue is the ones there may not be available when you need them.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
It's funny you say that, because I had never looked at it that way myself. I've always been concerned about the fact there are fewer places to charge than there are to get gas. But Wahoo's post #50 was an "Ah Ha" moment for me. I had never considered that with a Tesla or other EV, for 95% of my driving, I would always have a "full tank" because every morning the car would be fully charged in the garage. I am notorious for being in a hurry/running late for something, going to my car, and seeing the low fuel warning light come on as I pull out of the garage. I then have to start thinking about how I can get where I'm going by way of a nearby gas station. With an EV, those days would be over. No more time wasted filling up! That would be convenient!
This is exactly the situation with our Honda. EV range is ~50 miles, which covers us day-to-day, and being a plug-in hybrid, there is gas in the tank for those longer road trips. Necessary out here where EV chargers are scarce.

Now, my pet peeve, Public EV chargers are following the lead of BetaMax/VHS- Apple/PC- GSM/CDMI phones. Incompatibility. You can't plug in your Tesla to a J1772 charger without an adapter, and I'm not sure there is an adapter to go from a Tesla charger to a J1772 equipped EV. And in case you wondered, EVERY other EV maker uses the J1772 connector. Tesla is alone with theirs. This means that non-Tesla EVs are excluded from the Supercharger (or Destination) charger network.

Jim

Edited to add. Amazon has a Tesla (cord) to J1772 (EV) adapter for ~$260. Will not work from Tesla SuperChargers. Seems high to me, but it is what it is.

Last edited:

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
Now, my pet peeve, Public EV chargers are following the lead of BetaMax/VHS- Apple/PC. Incompatibility. You can't plug in your Tesla to a J1772 charger without an adapter, and I'm not sure there is an adapter to go from a Tesla charger to a J1772 equipped EV. And in case you wondered, EVERY other EV maker uses the J1772 connector. Tesla is alone with theirs. This means that non-Tesla EVs are excluded from the Supercharger (or Destination) charger network.

Jim

Yet cat food cans are identical regardless of what brand it is.

:p

jmmoultn

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Tesla Supercharger network is great for trips, and the charging is not much more than a typical rest/lunch stop. Since the Tesla GPS maps it out for you, trips along an interstate don't take that much planning. HHI, otoh, may be more of a challenge...

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
The Tesla Supercharger network is great for trips, and the charging is not much more than a typical rest/lunch stop. Since the Tesla GPS maps it out for you, trips along an interstate don't take that much planning. HHI, otoh, may be more of a challenge...

What's the cost of a typical charge?

Wahoo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Summit Watch
Marriott Mountainside
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Grande Ocean
Marriott Ocean Watch
Up until recently, most Teslas came with free lifetime supercharger use. I have free unlimited supercharging for the life of the vehicle, so I just pull into the charging station, plug in, and it fills up the battery for free. I believe for the Model 3 and for some newer purchases they've done away with the free lifetime charging, but the cost is still more economical than gasoline. I think it's $0.13/kwh (though this is just my memory from a year or two ago, and it may vary by state?), so it would cost $13 to fully charge a big 100kwh battery.

For home charging, it obviously depends on your local electricity rate. I used to spend ~$250/month on gas. I now spend $0 on gas, but my electricity bill only went up about $60/month. (I was going to say my driving habits haven't changed at all, but that's not entirely true... I still drive the same distances, but I definitely enjoy accelerating off the line more than I used to... The 0-60 time for my standard model is somewhere around 4.5 seconds, but if you upgrade to the "Ludicrous" mode with 100kwh battery the 0-60 time is 2.4 seconds!)

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
You can easily figure the cost of home charging by looking at your power bill. For instance ours is one of the lowest in the USA at about $.08 per kWh. Our Honda's battery is just under 20 kWh capacity, and just like your gas car, we charge it before it's empty- typically 1/2 depleted daily. So that's about 80 cents to a dollar a day. That 100 kWh Tesla long range battery would cost a maximum of almost $9.00 at our home rate. Our car is a hybrid, so it has a gas engine that on the highway gets 40+ mpg- saving the electrons for around town.- and cabin climate control and other electric use. It doesn't use the IC engine for anything but motive power (and charging if selected)

Don't forget those pesky road use taxes. Those who buy gasoline pay it at the pump. Different states have their own schemes to collect it. Our state adds $75 to annual registration fees on EVs.

Jim

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
Anyone see 60 Minutes last Sunday?

https://www.cbsnews.com/video/marsh...e-plant-life-into-fuel-60-minutes-2019-06-23/

A more likely scenario to reduce the use of fossil fuels would be fuel made from plant cellulose through a process that an 80-some-year-old guy has worked on independently for years, that has been verified by the scientific community, and now has tens of millions of dollars of backing, and actually has the first manufacturing plant running.

I say it is more likely because no one would have to change anything they're doing . . . they'd pull their regular cars into the same gas stations and get gas made our of plant cellulose instead of fossils.

Yeah, I know, it sound hokey, but it's real.

The battle would not be with consumer, it would be with existing industry.

Fuel is just one of the by-products of his invention.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yep. That $7,500 tax credit was a big deciding factor on us buying the Honda Plug-In. Being a tax credit, not just a deduction, offset the tax on a whole lot of our 2018 taxes. A Tesla buyer who takes delivery after July 1 (Monday) will only get $1,850 tax credit. GM EV buyers have until Oct. 1 to get the full $7,500. Other brands- check with the dealers to see when they'll deliver the 200,000th unit and the incentive disappears.

Jim

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Yep. That $7,500 tax credit was a big deciding factor on us buying the Honda Plug-In. Being a tax credit, not just a deduction, offset the tax on a whole lot of our 2018 taxes. A Tesla buyer who takes delivery after July 1 (Monday) will only get $1,850 tax credit. GM EV buyers have until Oct. 1 to get the full $7,500. Other brands- check with the dealers to see when they'll deliver the 200,000th unit and the incentive disappears.

Jim

I think it's possible a higher tax credit will return some day if some future administration is more interested in encouraging green energy once again.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think it's possible a higher tax credit will return some day if some future administration is more interested in encouraging green energy once again.
I'd make you a small, unspecified side wager that the current $7,500, phasing out after 200,000 vehicle sales per company will be seen as incentive enough. But hey, if a similarly generous offer is made when we are ready to get a new EV in 6-8 years or so, I could be tempted. One thing's sure, it would be a complete U-turn from the energy policy of the current one.

Jim

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good report, but being in the longest range EV in the area with the most chargers, it was kinda ho-hum. It's a LOT more exciting in a EV with 150 miles of range when towns are 120 miles apart and high speed limits chew up those electrons at a frightening clip. Not a lot of flexibility for scenic or recreational side trips.

I will say that we just spent the last week in Yellowstone, and I saw a good number of Tesla's- mostly Model 3's. The Yellowstone/Teton Foundation has put EV chargers at many of the Park's main attractions/hotels for public, and their own vehicles' use. I never found one, but didn't need to as we were able to charge the Honda at our condo in Island Park (free), and by switching it to hybrid (gas) power it highway speeds and using EV mode in the park we ended up getting 78 mpg overall for the week.

Jim

Last edited:

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
Kinda funny, there are kids on Jeopardy this week. (Jeopardy Teen Tournament) They showed a picture of an automated car-manufacturing plant, and the question was, "It is named after this early 20th Century US inventor."

The kids guessed Edison, and Ford.

:cool:

But, they knew Abbey Road (way before any of their times) was by The Beatles.

MikeM132

TUG Member
Reaction score
When a nearby city announced their first solar substation not long ago, I was shocked that their Energy Storage System is 1100 lead acid batteries. That will a nightmare, and the type of blunder that can turn people off to renewable energy.
The only downsides to lead acid battery storage are weight and cost over time. I am very much "into" this technology, and with the new battery technology right around the corner, it may make sense not to spend a ton on Lithium Ion batteries for storage. We are right on the brink of new batteries with much lower price and WAY higher power density, with many times the lifetime cycle capacity.
Not to derail the charger thing....I have a Chevy Volt and am hoping to recharge even at 120V at Ocean Pointe, but apparently they have no interest in this. Grande Vista has a free level 2 charger, so adoption of this stuff seems all over the place.

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
Dang, guess my golf course should not have bought those 65 carts with Samsung LI power packs.

I've been maintaining (260) lead acid batteries for 13 years.

StevenTing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks sparty, that would be perfect if we were staying there. It appears they won't let MVCI owners at other properties or non-MGO guests on property to use them. We own at Heritage, in FL and in the Points program but will have no access to Grande Ocean.

So I tried the front desk but haven't tried the GM to see if they would let us use the GO chargers a couple times during our visit. Was hoping maybe a TUGger would be down there with one car and 2 parking passes, who might be able to share one. We could share a SeaPines gate pass ;-)

I just realized that I can help. I will be at Grande Ocean from 8/10-8/16. If it's no extra charge for a 2nd parking pass, I will gladly help. Send me a PM and I'll send you my phone number and we can chat and coordinate.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score

Jim

Yep, same here, though I have a Chevy Volt it's just like your car, both EV and gas. Around home, we never ever exceed the range of ~60 miles electric, so, 100% electric which is Solar powered. Solar was to power the house, but then we added some capacity to also power car). Over the course of a year, we make more electricity than we use, including the Volt. As Jim mentions, there is never any worry, car plugs in (if we use it on a given day) after we get back home, and, in the morning, it's long ago done charging. If we forget to plug it in (it certainly has happened), it texts me to say please plug me in.

The $7,500 tax credit was THE factor for us getting the car 2 years ago.

On our recent road trip to much of Utah, allowing for crosswinds getting there and back, and, allowing for highway speeds with mountains, we got around 42mpg on gas, which isn't too shabby for such a heavy car. Once we got to Zion Springhill, they had 6 chargers and the charge was free. So, all our driving for the week was "free". Then we went up to Park City, where, Summit Watch did not have any chargers, but, the places we hiked did, so, charged for free. As did the grocery store, so again, we paid nothing for all the time there.

Definitely not sorry we bought the car, our favorite car ever. It can be fun even to blow away Gas cars from a stoplight. Ok, I didn't say that.

sparty

TUG Member
Reaction score

Jim

Huh? The full credit for GM ended April 1, 2019. It drops to $1,875 Oct 1.

2017 Volt owner, 2019 Bolt owner, E-Bike owner :)