• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Terrible purchase

Kngarner

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bali Hai, royal sands, royal Hacienda, Kona Hawaii resort, Kaua’i Beach villas
My wife and I bought at the Royal Haciendas, Royal Sands in Playa Del Carmen and Cancun before the resorts were built. We have been vacationing at the royal resort family of resorts for over 25 years. We have enjoyed many vacations to these beautiful resorts. However the last few trips have continued to be less impressive as the service experience has declined as the bracelets have increased. I am referring to all inclusive. The TS was sold as a members only experience with all exclusive opportunities that only a member could experience. You could only show up from Saturday to Saturday. It has a beautiful SPA and was the highlight of such a trip. The Spa is still very nice as the sales team keeps the pressure on to sell you more and more time at the spa. I’m not opposed to the buy because I would spend it regardless.. However this trip the computers are all down as you normally would not carry cash or credit card. We had to carry cash, credit card and photo I.D. As if we were shopping on someone else’s credit card. You start out paying 27K more or less for such an experience and are given the opportunity to pay a manintence fee of just shy of $ 1200.00 per year for a villa A/B sides. This is all good when your making the purchase. Where the issue starts is with the guest that are staying on the property and paying anywhere from $350.00 per stay to maybe $1100.00 with meals. We do not get free meals but can purchase for almost full retail. Buyer beware coffee and tea are extra.The restaurant is another joke. Not even close to enough servers, cook staff, management. The line to the Buffett will back up because they will have 1 person Serving the entire restaurant that could seat close to 200 people. So you get wore out waiting for food. DrInks are another story. It could take 15 minutes to get water or whatever you are drinking. So they have a juice bar that has more staffing than the Buffett at times. The juice bar is not free so they got this covered. I don’t want to forget the front office staff. Jasmine at the front desk everyone needs to experience her unpleasant demeanor. All in all I could not, would not recommend the Royal resorts and sorry to say I am a owner. On the bright side it expires in maybe 35 years. Unpleasant experiences Kevin C. Garner owner E233, G5619 and N5541

byeloe

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting. It's sad to hear about your recent experiences. We have stayed at the Sands and Tri Royals many times renting from an owner. Mostly fantastic stays, but we didn't like the AI switch.
It has been a few years since we stayed at the Sands as we ultimately decided to purchase at Westin Lagunamar, partially due to AI

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sad tale. One of the negatives to buying is things can change. Fortunately you have had many years of positive experiences. Maybe it is time to walk away from what you own and start renting elsewhere...

George

Kngarner

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Agreed George. Just a major disappointment from what is sold and what really is happening.
Thank You for the advise.

KarenLK

TUG Member
Reaction score
You do know that the Royals were hit with a ransomware attack about 10 days ago. There is still quite a bit of Covid in Cancun, so staff may not all be there. Try to be patient...they are doing their best.

Kngarner

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You do know that the Royals were hit with a ransomware attack about 10 days ago. There is still quite a bit of Covid in Cancun, so staff may not all be there. Try to be patient...they are doing their best.
Yes I did know and thank you for the advice. We are trying to be patient and I’m sure this will get better.

ilene13

TUG Member
Reaction score
I’m sorry you feel it was a “terrible “ purchase. We also own at the Haciendas and the Sands. Prior to buying them we owned at the Islander and the Caribbean. All since 1991. We have had many years of wonderful experiences and memories. We were not thrilled when they went AI, but we don’t do it. We eat breakfast in our Villa, lunch either on the beach or at one of the restaurants. We always go off property for dinner. The ransomware attack was unfortunate, but that does not make your purchase of 20 years ago terrible. Cancun is still coming back from the pandemic, get over it. Why air your complaints in public? Did you post them on the Royal resort member forum, where you could get some answers?

Kngarner

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ilene I appreciate your compassion for the resort. If no one states the negative along with the positive. I do post the positive as well. There would be no need for reviews. It will get results at some point. Thank you For your comments and questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

byeloe

TUG Member
Reaction score
So, after 25 years of good experiences, one bad experience negates the value of your purchase. Hope your family never makes you unhappy.
If you go back, the OP states the last few trips, so not just one.
Your comment comes across a little bit on the rude side

bjones9942

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lindo Mar, Puerto Vallarta; Lake Tahoe Beach & Ski, South Lake Tahoe
It seems timeshares are like death and taxes, except it's increasing fees and decreasing maintenance/ameneties that you can look forward to. And this is what the trading options are made for. I trade my EOY South Lake Tahoe week for 2 weeks in Acapulco, and couldn't be happier.