• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Tennessee: Possible Retirement Location?

Iwant2gonow

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Mountain View at Crown Ridge
I would like to plan one of several trips to timeshares somewhere close to or in one of the cities that anyone might recommend as a good place to retire in Tennessee.
This will be my first trip to Tennessee so if anyone has info on where I should deposit my weeks is appreciated also.
I presently own and would like to deposit a Silver Crown 3 bdroom lock off at Mt View at Crown Ridge in NH. It is Feb ski week. I do not believe that Interval International will deposit it. I have traded it before through RCI and TPI. I don’t think TPI gets any Tennessee timeshares trades. Please correct me if I am wrong about that.

I also own a Sheraton Vistana 2 bdrm that I know II will take as a deposit but am wondering if anyone has had II trades into Tennessee that are in the areas I should be interested in.
I know these are broad questions but appreciate all information you can offer.

balc453

Reaction score
You might consider the Crossville area. There are a few RCI resorts there, don't know off hand about II. The local property taxes are low and the housing costs are very reasonable.

Location is about midway between Nashville and the Gatlinburg area just off I-40.

TIm

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
May I also suggest Wyndham Fair Field Glades in Crossville, TN. A very low key area and every thing is on site at this gated resort.

riverdees05

TUG Member
Reaction score
There is a Wyndam Resort in Nashville area that I see some on RCI. We live about 35 miles south of Nashville and like the area. It is close enough to Nashville to enjoy the things it has to offer, but far enough away to be out of the city. There are several nice communities around Nashville. We moved here from Southeast Missouri so it wasn't a big adjustment - only 250 miles. We like the airport because it is big enough to have a lot of flights, but small enough that you don't feel lost.

There are several resorts in the Knoxville area and as someone mentioned a few between Nashville and Knoxville.

hjtug

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is Tennessee an attractive state for retirement?

Iwant2gonow

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
There are a handful of states that do not tax pensions and Tennessee is one of them. It's also a lot warmer than NJ. These two things make it attractive to me.

Having never visited I would love to hear what others who live in Tennessee have to say about living there.

hjtug

TUG Member
Reaction score
There are a handful of states that do not tax pensions and Tennessee is one of them.

Yes, TN does not tax retirement income. In fact, it doesn't tax any kind of income. So a retiree there in general is not in a priviledged category. The lack of a state income tax is made up for, at least in part, with a sales tax of 7% (5% on food), plus local sales taxes which vary by jurisdiction. It would seem to be an attractive state for high-income workers and retirees but not for lower income folks that spend most or all of their income.

I believe what you would like is a state that has an income tax but exempts retirement income.

Iwant2gonow

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

hjtug

TUG Member
Reaction score
What are these states?

The only one that I know about, in the east at least, is Pennsylvania, which I believe exempts all retirement income, even IRA and 401K withdrawels. The link provided by Iwant2gonow includes states that have income tax but exempt pension and social security income. At least the discussion of the states in that link provides a warning and information about the other taxes in those states. It mentions Tennessee's relatively high sales tax but doesn't mention the additional local (county and city) sales taxes. If low taxes are one's highest priority, the total of all state and local taxes should be included. Perhaps total cost of living would be a better measure than taxes alone. Iwant2gonow's comment about healthcare is pertinent especially since states with the lowest taxes are likely to invest less in important services.

Last edited:

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Thanks! Out of these states, Nevada and Washington sound interesting to us.

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have seriously considered TN for retirement, but after several trips there, have ruled it out, for the most part. In my opinion, eastern TN and the area around Knoxville, is the prettiest part of TN. Really depends on what you're looking for, but so far, have not found an area that can compare to the area near Asheville. TN tends have a rural feel and is quite conservative. if we were going to retire in TN, it would be near Franklin, about 25-30 miles south of Nashville. We really wanted to like TN, given its tax advantages for retirees.

momeason

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We have seriously considered TN for retirement, but after several trips there, have ruled it out, for the most part. In my opinion, eastern TN and the area around Knoxville, is the prettiest part of TN. Really depends on what you're looking for, but so far, have not found an area that can compare to the area near Asheville. TN tends have a rural feel and is quite conservative. if we were going to retire in TN, it would be near Franklin, about 25-30 miles south of Nashville. We really wanted to like TN, given its tax advantages for retirees.

Asheville is a very interesting place and I would really consider it. I chose the NC coast because I love the beach. I would love living in Asheville, NC.

Sometimes, I think we did not do enough research but the cost of living is low here. We can afford to live on the water and the area is very safe. Downsides are no culture here and most people hold very conservative views. Asheville is the opposite.

I would not want to make my decision on income taxes only. Tennessee is not appealing to me, but I am a Carolina Girl. Not the school though. Graduated from Wake Forest, raised an NC State fan. I am an ABC fan...anybody but Carolina.

Last edited:

philemer

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Schooner; Dikhololo, S.A.; Club Wyndham; Worldmark.

ride2slide

TUG Member
Reaction score
My hubby & I are both from Nashville and always thought we would retire back to TN. Now that retirement is near, we are also considering TX, MS, & LA. We are looking at states that do not tax military retirement or social security. Good healthcare is a must, but so is low property and sales tax. I think I read that there is no tax on groceries in KY, so living in TN on KY Lake, sounds worth checking out.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
My hubby & I are both from Nashville and always thought we would retire back to TN. Now that retirement is near, we are also considering TX, MS, & LA. We are looking at states that do not tax military retirement or social security. Good healthcare is a must, but so is low property and sales tax. I think I read that there is no tax on groceries in KY, so living in TN on KY Lake, sounds worth checking out.

I'm trying to figure out the best place to retire as we'll and Nevada and Arizona are high on my list

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have finally come to the conclusion that we would rather live in a state (as retirees)with modestly higher taxes than live in some states. Don't mean to offend anyone, but MS and LA would fall into the latter category. MS and LA are so 'backwards' in many ways. Having lived in LA practically all of my adult life, there is no way I would retire here. The state has become increasingly conservative (I say this as a registered independent), has a governor that has hurt the state in ways (education) that it will take decades to recover from. There is virtually no large business here. Of the three, I would only consider TX. The only drawback to TX is I have yet to see a really beautiful part of TX..

Last edited:

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I retired to Southern Nevada, and highly recommend it. No state taxes (although car registration is high). Property taxes on a 300K home, for residents was about $2600. Last year. In general cost of living is lower than California, or most Eastern Coastal cities.

I live near Las Vegas, and there is plenty to see and do. There are many things which have senior or resident discounts, as well as many free attractions.

There are many "master planned communities," gated, with HOAs. I wasn't sure I would like living in an HOA, but mine has been wonderful. They plan budgeting carefully, so there have not been a special assessment in the ten years I've lived here. The "rules," the CC&Rs, have helped to keep our house prices more stable than others in the valley.

If you can get used to desert living, the Vegas Valley may be for you.

Fern

Reaction score
Pennsylvania is also a retirement friendly state. All regular types of "retirement income" from sources such as pensions, IRAs, and 401k type accounts are exempt from the state's 3.2% tax rate. (Regular dividends and cap gains from traditional brokerage and investment accounts are subject to that rate however.)

Also, the state's 6% sales tax is NOT imposed on grocery items or clothing. (My wife ruled out TN the moment she saw 9% sales tax added to our Food Lion bill!)

While more favorable year round climate destinations can be found compared to the mountains in PA, we think we'll stick with making the state our home base, but travel a little more.

Iwant2gonow

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wow!! 9% on food! A lot of angles to figure out. NJ does not tax food or clothes. Does Tennessee tax clothes also?

hjtug

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow!! 9% on food! A lot of angles to figure out.?

https://www.tn.gov/revenue/taxguides/salesanduse.pdf

It seems that the sales tax on food is 5%. Localities can add their own tax and some add as much as 2.75%: http://www.tennessee.gov/revenue/pubs/taxlist.pdf

The total tax on nonfood items is 9.75% in some locations.

Does Tennessee tax clothes also?

Almost surely it does - they need the income to make up for the lack of an income tax.

Last edited:
Reaction score
https://www.tn.gov/revenue/taxguides/salesanduse.pdf

It seems that the sales tax on food is 5%. Localities can add their own tax and some add as much as 2.75%...

We did have some wine along with our groceries, but the TOTAL tax on our receipt was about 9%... and that was what the cashier quoted to my wife when she inquired about it. This was just a few years ago in Crossville.

...and YES, clothing is taxed in TN.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
All states require a certain amount of money to pay their expenses. This comes from the 3-legged stool of income taxes, property taxes, and sales taxes. Decrease one and they necessarily need to get more of their income from the remaining two.

So if one is contemplating relocation in retirement, and minimum taxation is a goal, you need to consider living modestly (pay less property tax), buy less (pay less sales tax), or have much of your income be tax exempt (like pensions, dividends, and gains)

Generally the states that have made themselves attractive to retirees, (Florida, Texas, Arizona) have electorate who have reduced tax on their segment of the population, and those states have fewer students to educate- a large expense to states.

Jim

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We bought a home in Southern Nevada in Feb of this year, planning for our retirement. Can't say enough good things about it. We are still paying CA taxes in the meantime. Love, love, love the area.

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score
Doesn't it get real hot there in the summer?

We bought a home in Southern Nevada in Feb of this year, planning for our retirement. Can't say enough good things about it. We are still paying CA taxes in the meantime. Love, love, love the area.