• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Tell me about your local foods......

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Umm, uh, Rocky Mountain Oysters aren't exactly . . . OYSTERS! Think of what separates steers from bulls. :)

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Umm, uh, Rocky Mountain Oysters aren't exactly . . . OYSTERS! Think of what separates steers from bulls. :)
I know. But I thought the oysters MakaiGuy was referring to were those Glynda mentioned in her thread, since that is the one he replied to.

"Local stone ground grits. Shrimp & Grits. She Crab Soup. Hoppin' John. Garlic Crabs. Oysters."

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Local stone ground grits. Shrimp & Grits. She Crab Soup. Hoppin' John. Garlic Crabs. Oysters.
All these sound just Wonderful! The line forms right behind me!

mentalbreak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ham Balls.
They are meatballs made of ground ham and ground pork, with a sweet brown sugar-based sauce. I had never heard of them until my BF (now husband) took me to meet his parents and that is what his mom was making. I was appalled (afraid they were the aforementioned oysters). Now they are on the menu every Christmas with the inlaws.

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Spicy Chinook, Cascade, Triple Pearl, Centennial, Comet, Willamette, Cashmere Crystal , Cluster, my favorite Denali pineapple pine and many other varieties of hops are grown locally. I think our area is responsible for most of the hop production in the USA.

Cosmic Crisp is the newest variety of apple that is from our area. I still like Fugi and Red Delicious better. Our county lead the USA in apple production.

Bill

Oh boy...I had to google just about all of those to find out what they were!

My brother lives in Washington, he mailed us some Cosmic Crisps over the holidays. To me, they taste like red delicious..but don't have all the bruises! He had brought some to a conference in Georgia to share, but then he found out my daughter liked them, so he shipped them up to us. Complete with a nice Westin bath towel that he used to pack them. Ha Ha. I did notice my small local grocery had some this past week....but there were not as nice as the ones he sent from Washington!

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are in Puerto Vallarta this week, able to partake in one of my personal indulgences. Ceviche. It's raw fish, or shrimp, 'cooked' in lime juice. With onion, tomato, cilantro, jalapeno, cumin, salt. The seafood turns opaque when 'done'. Spoon (or scoop) on crisp tostadas with spicy salsa. Delicioso!

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
We are in Puerto Vallarta this week, able to partake in one of my personal indulgences. Ceviche. It's raw fish, or shrimp, 'cooked' in lime juice. With onion, tomato, cilantro, jalapeno, cumin, salt. The seafood turns opaque when 'done'. Spoon (or scoop) on crisp tostadas with spicy salsa. Delicioso!
Ohhh, that's one of my favorites to eat while we are in Belize. There is a lady around the corner from our apartment who makes her own shrimp ceviche. She charges BZ$10.00 (US$5.00) for a 1 lb tub of it and a bag of home made tortilla chips. It is so good! That was our dinner when we arrived here on New Years Eve as most restaurants at the end of town where our apartment is were closed and, except for a short nap on the plane, we had been awake for close to 35hrs. so didn't want to walk too far. Now my mouth is watering for some!

~Diane

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Not necessarily unique but certainly top quality is the local seafood and NY style pizza. Living on Long island we get the very best of both of these.

Carta

TUG Member
Reaction score
I mix kidney beans and green beans with small amounts of bacon and onion as a side dish...Place in small pot and cook on low..

jackio

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sand Pebbles, Sheraton Broadway Plantation, Hawaiian Sun Holidays
Not necessarily unique but certainly top quality is the local seafood and NY style pizza. Living on Long island we get the very best of both of these.
Plus our bagels!

I have never seen bialys outside of the metro NY area.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
Here, it used to be Tex-Mex, but now everything is now "Fusion".

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
When we lived in the Chicago area: Chicago Deep Dish Pizza (Giordano's o_O)

JudyH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Steamed crabs, crab cakes, crab soup. All things Maryland.

Reactions: DrQ

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Virginia: Chesapeake Bay Blue Crabs Jimmies & Smithfield Country Hams.

Reactions: DrQ

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here we are in Puerto Vallarta. We took a cooking class today with Rosie's Vallarta Cooking. www.rosiescooking.com/ We went to a historic market and got ingredients, then to Rosie's home and made salsas, flan from scratch, we made our own tortillas, battered and fried shrimp for tacos. Then made a wonderful buttery maranade for the Red Snapper to grill over oak and banana leaves for sarandeado fish. After this wonderful meal, a bottle of tequila appeared. Rosie brought us back to our resort (for siestas).

All in all a great PV experience.

I will repost this in the Mexico forum with some pictures in case someone is looking for a fun 'foodie' experience in PV. Unfortunately, I'm tied to a slow cell phone connection so it may be a while.

Jim

Last edited:

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
Stone crab claws.
Phone 12-06-20219 064.JPG

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
In our area it is Scrapple.......yum. And you can find muskrat if you want to.
We found one store in Minnesota that carries frozen Scrapple. It's not as good as the fresh Scrapple we'd get when we lived in the Philly area, but it's good enough.

I love the deep fried cheese curds at the MN State Fair. When we first moved here, it was the only place you could get them, but now they're available year round at various restaurants. The fair is still the only place you can get deep fried Spam curds, yum!

I've never tried lutefisk and don't plan to.

Tank

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV South Beach Myrtle Beach
HICV Lake Geneva
HICV Gatlinburg
HICV Orange Lake Kissemee
Fun post!

When we travel we look for special food / restaurants I can not get from home. We will not go anyplace we have at home.

Northeast Ohio we have Barberton chicken. Norm is fried chicken, fries, coleslaw , and hot sauce.

One other stand out is Troyers Trail Balogna. Amish made local favorite add on to cheese plates with crackers.

Dave

PS
My sister makes groundhog stew for Groundhog Day every year. It's a tradition for them, it's ok if I'm busy that day.

Icc5

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've always lived in California and when traveling especially in the Eastern United States I stop at every frozen custard stand we can find. So far we've done about 20 and I find Andy's the best. We've had a couple move into California but not the better ones.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
great pecans and peaches from the farms

mentalbreak

TUG Member
Reaction score
When we lived in the Chicago area: Chicago Deep Dish Pizza (Giordano's o_O)
What is your opinion on the Giordanos franchises outside of Chicago? We have tried a few times at different locations, but it just hasn’t seemed the same as what we remember.

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Liver pudding (think scrapple, but even grosser....although I've never tried it.) Canned pig brains (almost pure cholestrol) scrambled with eggs.

The *good* local foods everyone knows--slow roasted, pulled-pork BBQ. However, NC has been described as "the Balkans of BBQ" so we won't get into all that here. ;)