• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Tell me about your local foods......

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Tonight I am on my own. Hubby and daughter are off, so I'm looking around the kitchen for what I want for supper. I decided up choucico on pizza. What the heck is choucico you may ask? It is very much like Chorizo....but its roots are more from Portugal. I don't even think they sell Chorizo around here, because we have Chourico ! Pronounced: Sha-Reese.

We also have coffee milk. Think of chocolate milk, but instead a sweetened coffee liquid is added.

So, what foods are staples in your area, but unknown to many of us?

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Hatch chile

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Lots of stuff borrowed from Mexico. Poblano chiles, chipotles. We produce over 90% of farm raised rainbow trout, so they are always avai!ab!e. Cheeses. Cheddars, chevres (goat), a local neurologist raises bison and beefalo. Very lean and flavorful. One hot spring down the valley raises alligator. In IDAHO! Who knew? And then there are those big fluffy Russett Burbank potatoes. Tasty, dripping with butter, sour cream chives and bacon crumbles.

It's starting to get hungry out.

Jim

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
Soup dumplings

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Here in the country in NY things are seasonal. Apples, raw milk, grass fed beef, corn, pizza, bagels, cider donuts, cheeses, maple syrup.

A lot of people fish.

missyrcrews

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cold Spring Resort, Acadia Village Resort, Samoset Resort
Coffee milk. You must be in Rhode Island! ;) They sell it here in Maine, too. I'd never had it until I moved to New England. Addictive stuff...hits the spot!

For here: Seafood galore. I adore fried haddock and shrimp from the little mom and pop places that are only open in the summer. Needhams, with dark chocolate, of course. Grapenut ice cream, from Giffords. Grapenut custard, for that matter. American Chop Suey....when I first moved up here, I thought that was going to be some sort of Asian food. HA. Shepherd's Pie.

NOW I'M HUNGRY!

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score
In our area it is Scrapple.......yum. And you can find muskrat if you want to.

rboesl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Village Beach & Golf Resort
Vidanta Grand Mayan
Villa del Arco Cobo
Grandview Las Vegas
Vacation Village at Bonaventure
Being from Western New York/Buffalo most people think of chicken wings. But, those have gone global. And, it's even spread to things like chicken wing soup, chicken fingers, and now a blend of wing flavored fingers and shaved steak as a sub sandwich called a stinger. One Western New York staple that hasn't spread to far afield is the Friday Haddock Fish Fry. Brought to the area by Catholic German immigrants back in the 1800's. Take fresh haddock filet, broil it, or bake it with a bread crumb coating, or deep fry it with a think beer batter. Then serve it with french fries, American or German potato salad, macaroni salad, and coleslaw.

mdurette

TUG Member
Reaction score
Coffee milk. You must be in Rhode Island! ;) They sell it here in Maine, too. I'd never had it until I moved to New England. Addictive stuff...hits the spot!

Ha....close enough to RI! Ah, you mentioned Grapenut. I'm not much of a dessert person....but if there is Grapenut pudding on the menu, I'm getting it to either eat there or take home. It is actually my favorite dessert. DH thinks it's an old lady dessert...he is probably right because the only places I find it at are spots that do cater to the early-bird crowd!

mdurette

TUG Member
Reaction score
In our area it is Scrapple.......yum. And you can find muskrat if you want to.

Oooh....I don't know, the first time I saw that was in a Farmers Market in Pennsylvania over the summer. I had to ask what it was since it seemed like it was for sale with a lot of vendors. I'm sure it is yummy.....but I had to take a pass as soon as a heard "pork scraps". What is funny though, is the product I started this thread with Chourico, is a sausage made of pork and who the heck knows what is in sausages! All what you are brought up on!

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
Local stone ground grits. Shrimp & Grits. She Crab Soup. Hoppin' John. Garlic Crabs. Oysters.

joestein

TUG Member
Reaction score
Growing up in Howard Beach, Queens, NYC, there was (still is) a pizza place called La Villa. La Villa made something they called a Roman Pie. It starts with sicilian pizza dough and they scoop out the extra dough after cooking, just leaving the shell. They filled it with layers of sliced potatoes with cracked pepper, thinly slice onions, mozzarella and sausage and peperoni. Then they cover it with dough making it like a stuffed sicilian slice. When it cooks, the oil from the peperoni spreads into the potatoes. It is amazing. Just thinking about makes me hungry (not that I need that much nudging).

La Villa now has 3 stores. Two in Brooklyn and the original in Howard Beach. I have never found that pizza anywhere else, not even in other pizza places in NYC or NJ. I tried to make it in the house, but it is not quite the same.

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
NYC? we used to get them in a place in Rego Park, Queens, NYC. on 63rd drive I think.

These days, I buy them frozen at the Asian supermarket and steam them myself. Everyone loves Soupy buns (as we call them).

Los Angeles

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
Pasties (hand-held meat pies, pronounced Past-ees, not paste-ees) Brats and Cheese Curds(raw and deep-fried). Lots of cholesterol meds :D

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Pasties (hand-held meat pies, pronounced Past-ees, not paste-ees) Brats and Cheese Curds(raw and deep-fried). Lots of cholesterol meds :D
And Friday night Fish Fry's- a staple VFW fund raiser. Walleye and fries. YUM! Oh, and beer.

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
Here in Belize the favorite local food is stew chicken with rice and beans. The chicken isn't really stewed but usually grilled to brown the skin then baked in a wet Recado spice mixture which was spooned over it. The rice is cooked in coconut milk and small pre-cooked red beans (smaller than kidney beans) are added. The dish is usually served with a coleslaw and a small bowl of hot sauce. The hot sauce fooled DH the first time he used it as it is clear liquid with onions and cilantro in it. All he could smell was vinegar and cilantro so he put a lot on his chicken. Boy was he surprised! It was so hot!! This coming from somebody who uses Franks Red Hot Sauce like ketchup! A plate of this dinner in a local restaurant costs between BZ$8-10.00 which is equivalent to US$4-5.00.

~Diane

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Laulau, Plate lunches, Kalua Pork and Shave Ice are some of the most well know. Good stuff here in Hawaii!

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Spicy Chinook, Cascade, Triple Pearl, Centennial, Comet, Willamette, Cashmere Crystal , Cluster, my favorite Denali pineapple pine and many other varieties of hops are grown locally. I think our area is responsible for most of the hop production in the USA.

Cosmic Crisp is the newest variety of apple that is from our area. I still like Fugi and Red Delicious better. Our county lead the USA in apple production.

Our county is Washington States leading producer of wines, cider and craft brews.

Our county is responsible for most of the asparagus production in the USA. Many foods are grown or raised in our area.

So a simple local meal from our area might be an in season asparagus tamale with a craft beer or local wine. Finer dining might be salmon or grass fed beefalo steaks, potatoes or squash pasta with a craft beer or local wine.

Bill

Last edited:

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Indian Pudding.

B0STON
One Last Taste of Durgin-Park.

An Ode To Durgin Park's Indian Pudding.

Richard

Makai Guy

Administrator
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Spicebush (Hilton Head Island)
Local stone ground grits. Shrimp & Grits. She Crab Soup. Hoppin' John. Garlic Crabs. Oysters.
All good (except maybe the oysters - never did get into them). I try the shrimp & grits everywhere I go, everybody does it differently.

My fave since moving to SC is the barbeque with mustard-based sauce.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
All good (except maybe the oysters - never did get into them). I try the shrimp & grits everywhere I go, everybody does it differently.

My fave since moving to SC is the barbeque with mustard-based sauce.
I love oysters! Unfortunately I discovered I am allergic to them and can no longer eat them. :(