• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Tax on Timeshare Rentals [in Mexico]

KAS33

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Estate at Nueva Vallarta
I have recently read that Mexico collects tax on the rental of timeshares. It may also collect a VAT tax. My wife and I have an upscale unit at Vidanta in Mexico and we are trying to rent it. We want to be certain that we price it so that we at least recover our costs after taxes are withheld. Can anyone explain the details of the RFC tax and provide guidance as to how one can best handle remittance of the tax? I want to make sure that we do not pay more than necessary. Thanks. Ken

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
We do not rent our units, but when we rented a place in Puerto Penasco in May, we did have an extra tax on it that was not there years ago when we rented. It was added after all other fees. It is added to everything, including groceries in Mexico - it is 16%.

When we did a VRBO a few years ago, that was not added, but I also read that that has to be added to the rental price, and it was on the one in May. I found this by just doing a search.

VAT in Mexico - 2022 Procedure
Sep 21, 2022The VAT in Mexico (locally known as IVA) is payable at a general rate of 16% on the sales of products and services. The VAT also applies to lease payments and imports of products and services.

KAS33

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Estate at Nueva Vallarta
I looked at the photos. You own in all of those resorts? I assume you rent them out. If so, what source do you use for rentals.

bjones9942

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lindo Mar, Puerto Vallarta; Lake Tahoe Beach & Ski, South Lake Tahoe
I always suggest that people seek professional advise for medical, legal, and financial issues. People on the internet are full of bad, bad advice that they're eager to disseminate. They may be well meaning, but do you really want to entrust your finances to someone who 'isn't a real tax accountant, but plays one on the internet'?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Very few accounts will be able to advise on TS taxes in Mexico - not to mention the cost.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
I looked at the photos. You own in all of those resorts? I assume you rent them out. If so, what source do you use for rentals.

We do not rent our places. We have owned several places over the years and had enough weeks to take extended family with us and when we lived in Kansas and Missouri, we needed weeks to escape the cold in February.

We buy where we want to go and go there. We did some exchanges early on in out timeshare journey. The majority of those you saw are at the various Vidanta properties over the past 22 years when we owned as many as 6 weeks of Vidanta properties for a long time and used them pretty much every year.

We are now just down to 4 registered weeks each year - 2 Grand Luxxe, 1 Buganvilias, and 1 Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
I always suggest that people seek professional advise for medical, legal, and financial issues. People on the internet are full of bad, bad advice that they're eager to disseminate. They may be well meaning, but do you really want to entrust your finances to someone who 'isn't a real tax accountant, but plays one on the internet'?

What about people that advise seeking actual professional advice? That’s what I typically disseminate…. ;)

bjones9942

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lindo Mar, Puerto Vallarta; Lake Tahoe Beach & Ski, South Lake Tahoe
Very few accounts will be able to advise on TS taxes in Mexico - not to mention the cost.
That's not true. There are a LOT of accountants you can hire IN México, and there are plenty in the USA/Canada that deal with international matters (for a higher fee). Email, phone calls, Zoom meetings - you don't have to physically be where the professional is located to get advise. And the cost is a one time deal, and might be deductible from taxes. Better than bad advise from 'the interwebs'.

Last edited:

dkduval

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta
I have recently read that Mexico collects tax on the rental of timeshares. It may also collect a VAT tax. My wife and I have an upscale unit at Vidanta in Mexico and we are trying to rent it. We want to be certain that we price it so that we at least recover our costs after taxes are withheld. Can anyone explain the details of the RFC tax and provide guidance as to how one can best handle remittance of the tax? I want to make sure that we do not pay more than necessary. Thanks. Ken
Hi Ken,

I was just going to rent my Vidanta week on VRBO and it seems that they require an RFC tax number. Do you have any further information on this, or have you found sites to list where this is not required?