• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Tax on Last Calls?

Vodo

Reaction score
Hi Madge -

It was reported earlier this year that there would now be tax added to Last Call weeks in addition to the recent price increase. Can you tell me how that tax is calculated and at what point I would actually see the tax amount when booking a week on-line? Specifically, can you tell me what the rate is for the Orlando/Disney area?

UPDATE TO QUESTION: I spoke with an RCI rep today who indicated that the tax is already included in the published price (RCI originally indicated that the tax was in addition to the recent Last Call price increases). Was the rep's statement accurate? Is there no additional charge added to the published Last Call pricing?

Thanks!
Cindy

Last edited:

Deer Path

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was taxed on an extra vacation early this winter.
I have used these before and never been taxed. Is this something new??

Judy

Madge

TUG Member
Reaction score
Vodo,

Taxes apply to Extra Vacations and Last Call vacations. RCI has always paid appropriate sales and lodging taxes behind the scenes; however, our system did not support the ability to charge varying tax amounts up front. We can now do that, and Guides will quote the exact price with tax.

Our website is still reflecting the old flat amounts because it is not yet updated with the new functionality. That is why you may see different pricing online than you are quoted by Guides.

Vodo

Reaction score
So when I book on-line (which I always do), will I ever see what I will actually be charged, or will it just be a surprise when I get my charge card statement? Can you tell me what the tax rate is for the Disney/Orlando area?

Cindy

Madge

TUG Member
Reaction score
Cindy,

Our website displays one price currently and that is what you will be charged.

I'm showing the tax amount is .13 for Silver Lake Resort in Osceola County and .115 for Sheraton Vistana in Orange County. The tax is added separately only if you contact a Guide.

Happytravels

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We are down to three!!
taxes on last call

I still don't get the exactly amount I would be charged for the last calls. Is there some place I should look for different areas for different prices or do I have to call for that information. I understand the whole 1 bedroom price and so on it's the tax I don't understand...

Madge

TUG Member
Reaction score
Happytravels,

The tax is assessed by the host resort's state or municipality, so it's different depending upon which resort you confirm. The correct after-tax amount is now showing online, and Guides can tell you what the tax is for a unit they are offering you.

tekpak

Reaction score
RCI 'collecting tax' twice

RCI 'extra vacations' and 'last minute' week are now adding as much as $20 (not 20 cents) for each week -- or trying to. I didn't buy any of the various weeks that I checked, so I don't have exact figures.

Everybody's maintenance fees already include taxes. So, is RCI collecting them 'again'?

This sounds not just fishy. It sounds downright illegal.

We already pay taxes.

Interested in feedback from RCI. Also from other timeshare owners, I bet your taxes are part of your maintenance fee too.

asp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Most jurisidictions charge a hotel tax on all short term accomodation rentals (usually defined as stays of less than 30 days) - this is separate from other taxes such as property taxes. A few charge an occupancy tax - such as Hawaii or we recently paid it in Oceanside California - which is paid at the time of staying in the unit, on site.

Madge

TUG Member
Reaction score
tekpak,

asp is correct. The tax is a separate fee collected by host resorts. It is not included as part of your home timeshare maintenance fees.