• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Tax on Bonus Time

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Marriott, DVC
100% resale!!
Is normal hotel tax added to Bonus Time reservations? For example if I wanted to stay at Reunion last minute for a week (I know it's 4 nights max, I'm just using a week for calculation purposes), would I have to pay 0.069x17,000 plus 12.5% interest?

That makes the cost approx $1320, which is more expensive than just using credits if you own at least 20,000 credits.

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is normal hotel tax added to Bonus Time reservations?
It depends on the location of the resort. WM Florida resorts do not charge tax on credit or cash reservations.

Some WorldMark resorts charge tax on cash bookings, but not credit bookings (tax is charge on housekeeping if paying cash for the HK).

Some resorts charge lodging tax on all reservations.

This is the list. The first group charges taxes on all reservations. The second group charges tax only on cash bookings or cash housekeeping.

https://www.worldmarktheclub.com/owners/secure/onlinereferencelibrary/tax_information.jsp

fyi - Inventory Special reservations are the same credit cost as Bonus Time. IS specials may be booked for up to 14 days.

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
100% resale!!
It depends on the location of the resort. WM Florida resorts do not charge tax on credit or cash reservations.

Some WorldMark resorts charge tax on cash bookings, but not credit bookings (tax is charge on housekeeping if paying cash for the HK).

Some resorts charge lodging tax on all reservations.

This is the list. The first group charges taxes on all reservations. The second group charges tax only on cash bookings or cash housekeeping.

https://www.worldmarktheclub.com/owners/secure/onlinereferencelibrary/tax_information.jsp

fyi - Inventory Special reservations are the same credit cost as Bonus Time. IS specials may be booked for up to 14 days.

Can you please screen shot that list? I can't see it because I'm not an owner.

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can you please screen shot that list? I can't see it because I'm not an owner.
The list is multi-page.

This is a rough idea by state:

First Group:

Alaska
California
Oregon
Washington
Mexico
Canada
Hawaii
Montana
Arizona

Second Group:

Idaho
Utah
Missouri
Colorado
Illinois
Nevada
Texas
New Mexico

There are exceptions. A number of California resorts are in the second group, not the first, for example. If you are interest in a certain resort, then ask, and an owner can look it up.

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
100% resale!!
Thank you. I just want to have access to Reunion, Kingstown Reef and Ocean Walk Bonus Time. I can't do short stays using Club Wyndham because I would run out of housekeeping credits and there's no way in hell I will ever make a retail purchase from Wyndham lol.

Synergy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview, Massanutten
You asked a question that is near and dear to me - Florida not charging taxes is great news for me!

For those of us who don't have access to that page, are there any other states with rules like that?

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Odd that they don't charge tax on Florida properties. II getaways and even their ACs, they charge Florida tax. It works out to 12.5% on a getaway.

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Point (HP), Kauai Beach Villas, Riverside Suites, WorldMark Pts (WM), Wyndham Pts
You asked a question that is near and dear to me - Florida not charging taxes is great news for me!

For those of us who don't have access to that page, are there any other states with rules like that?

In some cases it is at the state level (ie. WA), but mainly these are City/County collected taxes - the CA, HI, OR, WA areas it is more the rule than not. This first group is those resorts that charge TOT:
Lodging Tax (LT)/Transient Occupancy Tax (TOT)
Taxes are required to be charged on reservations made for owner stays at certain resorts. These taxes can have different names but are commonly referred to as lodging taxes or occupancy taxes. At certain locations, cash housekeeping charges are also subject to a lodging tax. The taxability of stays and the rate at which the nightly stays are taxed vary by taxing authority (state and/or local) based on the location of the resort. Rates are not determined by WorldMark and are subject to change without notice. Any applicable taxes must be paid in full at the time a reservation is made.

This second group is those states that charge on cash rentals (i.e. Bonus Time, Inventory Special, FAX):
Lodging Tax (LT)/Transient Occupancy Tax (TOT) - Rental Reservations Only
Lodging tax on rental reservations is a tax charged on a percentage basis of a total reservation charge and requirements are based on city and/or regional laws. At certain locations, cash housekeeping charges are also subject to a lodging tax. Rates vary by resort location and are not determined by WorldMark. The rates are subject to change without notice. Lodging Tax must be paid in full at the time a reservation is made for any of the following resorts.

upload_2019-12-24_10-26-57.png

Synergy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview, Massanutten
Thank you!! I really appreciate it. Learning things like this is about the only thing that gets me through waiting (not so) patiently for the contract I want ;-)