• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Taking ice through TSA lines

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Someone is posting on one of the Diamond Resorts Facebook boards that he takes ice in an insulated container (ETA: like a thermos) through TSA. I've asked if he does this at multiple airports, but that sure doesn't sound right. Note to terrorists: freeze your bomb making liquids. I do know that some airports let things fly that others don't -- case in point the small, round nosed children's scissors I had confiscated after flying with them numerous times.

Last edited:

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Disneyworld doesn’t allow ice anymore. You can get some in the park but can’t bring it from outside

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Disneyworld doesn’t allow ice anymore. You can get some in the park but can’t bring it from outside

I have two very small lunch box size Tupperware-type containers that have a ring of "blue liquid" in the lid. You put the lid in the freezer than pop it on top of your peaches or whatever. I'd take that to Disneyland, but I have specifically not used them on a packed airplane lunch figuring anything that can thaw and become liquid was a no-no. FB guy's logic was ice in its frozen form is a solid not a liquid. I can't imagine how they let him through other than that he "doesn't look like a terrorist" and gave him a pass. Folks over 75 (I think is the age) don't have to take their shoes off, but 80+ Cliff has been asked to do that on occasion.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
You would think so but my husband works at the airport for Delta and has to go through TSA everyday. TSA told him that he could bring those blue blocks if they are frozen but not if they are thawed and liquid-y. I agree that it makes no sense. I don't think they would let someone take regular ice through though.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
How about fire starters or charcoal bbq bricks? Lol

Janann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC on the Boulevard, Las Vegas;
Disney's Saratoga Springs

Actually, you can bring ice, but it can't be in the form of individual cubes floating around freely. I believe it is because Security needs to be able to easily dig through it and see what is hiding at the bottom of the container. You can put a bunch of cubes into sandwich bags or something similar, and then after you get through Security you can pour out the individual cubes so that your water bottles or whatever are cooled more efficiently.

Janann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC on the Boulevard, Las Vegas;
Disney's Saratoga Springs
Someone is posting on one of the Diamond Resorts Facebook boards that he takes ice in an insulated container (ETA: like a thermos) through TSA. I've asked if he does this at multiple airports, but that sure doesn't sound right. Note to terrorists: freeze your bomb making liquids. I do know that some airports let things fly that others don't -- case in point the small, round nosed children's scissors I had confiscated after flying with them numerous times.

My husband carries a small thermos type thing with re-freezable soft plastic ice cubes. His medication needs to be kept cold, so maybe he gets through TSA screening a little easier because he is carrying medication.

tompalm

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have done it a bunch of times at a lot of airports. But I have pre-check and that might make a difference.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I have done it a bunch of times at a lot of airports. But I have pre-check and that might make a difference.
I'm not sure that PreCheck would make a difference. We have PreCheck and accidentally went through with bottles of water. It didn't make it through.

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
Why would you bother taking ice through the line? You could just go to the bar or fast food joint and ask for a cup once you’re through security.

joestein

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have put ice in a Ziploc and brought it through security. I have done it a few times. I use it to keep food that I will eat on the plane cold.

AJCts411

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Sunset x 2
Remember when flying was enjoyable? They provided you with food, drinks, smiles, service...all included in the price of a ticket. Now passengers are packing ice on a plane so they can have a bite, without paying $25.00 for a stale sandwich.

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Why would you bother taking ice through the line? You could just go to the bar or fast food joint and ask for a cup once you’re through security.

The airports I routinely go through no longer have little food malls where you can get your own fountain drink and ice. I think they got rid of them for the precise reason that a lot of people were “borrowing” ice.

joestein

TUG Member
Reaction score
Remember when flying was enjoyable? They provided you with food, drinks, smiles, service...all included in the price of a ticket. Now passengers are packing ice on a plane so they can have a bite, without paying $25.00 for a stale sandwich.

It is not just the food part. Bringing bagels and cream cheese gives me something to do on the plane to distract me from how long it takes to get where we are going.

It can take me 45 minutes to cut 4 bagels, spread out some cream cheese and lox with a crappy plastic knife. I draw it out as long as I can.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
It is not just the food part. Bringing bagels and cream cheese gives me something to do on the plane to distract me from how long it takes to get where we are going.

It can take me 45 minutes to cut 4 bagels, spread out some cream cheese and lox with a crappy plastic knife. I draw it out as long as I can.

How do they even let you past TSA with cream cheese, they confiscated my Marmite and it was in a sealed jar, the b********s!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
How do they even let you past TSA with cream cheese, they confiscated my Marmite and it was in a sealed jar, the b********s!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
It it's in a container that is small enough they'll let it through. Once I bought a salad pre TSA check. They had me put the small container of dressing in the bag with my other liquids and went right through.