• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Taking bus from Grand Mayan NV to south or north

travelhome

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are a group of 10 people including 2 seniors and 4 kids so we will probably spend most of the time in the resort playing water.

For the outings, so far I'm thinking of spending one half day sightseeing / walking the Malecon. Another half day/night doing turtle release at Bahía del Sol. Would it be better to walk the Malecon in the afternoon, say coming out of the Grand Mayan around 4pm and have dinner at south PV? Will it still be hot in the late afternoon for the thanksgiving week? Or getting cold in the evening? I read that there will be vendors and night activities along Malecon. I'm not sure when its going to get dark (daylight saving?) and whether it is going to be safe walking at night. Based on your experience, would you prefer walking in the morning or walking in the late afternoon/evening?

If we take taxi, we probably need 3 normal-car taxis. I'm thinking of taking buses. I guess kids would love the action.

I read that there will be free shuttle to send us to the front entrance. Is the bus stop right there? Which bus # or bus line should we take to go to Malecon or go to Bahía del Sol? How do I find out about the free trolley to Bahía del Sol?

Thanks a lot!

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
I thought the cloesest bus stop for busses that travels north or south from Nuevo Vallarta is in front of Wallmart.

Rent or hire a van.

EJC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, Vacation Internationale, Villa del Palmar, Dikhololo
Getting to the Malecon from The Grand Mayan, etc. Nuevo Vallarta involves taking a bus from Nuevo Vallarta to Walmart and then transferring (paying another fare) to a city bus "Centro" to get to the Malecon. Avoid city buses that say "tunnel" on the front. The tunnel route is circuitous and the air in the tunnel is terrible. There are two places you can get the bus near your resort: just around the corner from The Sea Garden or several yards away from the main Mayan entrance. Yes, the shuttle will take you to the main Mayan entrance. At the Mayan entrance, with your back toward the resorts and the Mayan security checkpoint, take a right and walk past the little guard station in the middle of the road. You'll see a bus sign on the side of the road. You can catch the bus there--it will look almost like a Greyhound type of bus (nice). Get off the bus at Walmart. At that point I like to walk toward town about a block or so and wait for the city bus at Soriana market. It's well lit and there is a covered waiting area. To return from Walmart to the Grand Mayan Nuevo Vallarta, you have a choice of two buses at Walmart: one says "Nuevo." The other says "RIU." Here is the route each follows: Nuevo Bus from Walmart = Walmart to Marival to Bahia del Sol to Allegro to Paradise Village Mall to Mayan Palace Nuevo. "RIU" = Walmart to the little guard shack you walked past in at Mayan Nuevo to get to the bus stop to Drakes (just up from the Sea Garden) to Paradise Village Mall to Villa del Palmar Flamingos Beach. I'm not saying the bus stops at each of those spots, but it goes by those spots and will stop if you ask the driver to stop. That list is important because it shows that the quickest way from Walmart to Mayan Palace Nuevo is the RIU bus--but you'd have to watch and ask the driver to stop at that shack. There is a speed bump there, so he has to slow down anyway. Regarding the trolley, I've seen it, but don't know anything about it. To get from the Malecon to Walmart, I like to catch the bus at Woolworth's. It's two blocks east of the Hotel Rosita , and Hotel Rosita is at the beginning of the Malecon--at least it was last year. They've done a major remodel of the Malecon this past year, so I'm not sure what it is like now. Hope some of this info proves helpful.

Last edited:

EJC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, Vacation Internationale, Villa del Palmar, Dikhololo
If you want to see locals enjoying the Malecon, I'd suggest Sunday after church. Evenings can be busy on the Malecon also. If I was depending on the bus to get back to Nuevo, I'd try to be on the Nuevo bus at Walmart by appx. 8:30 p.m. or so. You can ask at your resort. The Nuevo bus does not run 24/7. Also, during high season, the Nuevo bus can be standing room only, and that bus ride from Walmart to Nuevo takes appx. 30-45 minutes depending on traffic. The Malecon area seems very safe to me--enjoy!

rpennisi

Reaction score
For 6 adults and 4 kids, you might be better off taking a van from the Grand Mayan and avoid having to get 10 people to the bus stop and taking 2 buses...that makes for a very long trip each way. Might not be that much of a savings, but even if it is, it's a lot more time traveling and connecting.
I would also go to the Malecon later rather than early.
We have taken the free trolley from across the street from Guido's/OXXO to Bahia del Sol (it goes farther making a loop through NV). It doesn't run all days. Ask the guys at the booths around the corner from the Sea Garden, they'll know.
Hate to sound like a broken record, but once again moving 10 including seniors and kids would be easier by van to Bahia del Sol.
Whether taxi or van, always ask the price before getting in.

travelhome

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks a lot for the information!

Is Van just one type of taxi or is it sth special and have to make special reservation? I think the hotel Concierge can call one for us when we leave for outside activities. I'm more worried about when we come back, say after walking the Malecon then dinner.

Is Van abundant on the street?

rpennisi

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for the information!

Is Van just one type of taxi or is it sth special and have to make special reservation? I think the hotel Concierge can call one for us when we leave for outside activities. I'm more worried about when we come back, say after walking the Malecon then dinner.

Is Van abundant on the street?
Vans are readily available from the Grand Mayan entrance. They will call it for you. The taxi and van drivers have a place where they wait (sort of an open air hangout) just past the Sea Garden near the OXXO.
I don't know about returns...you can probably arrange a pickup in NV, but not sure what the taxi rules are once you get to PV.