• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Swapping weeks to book an exchange??

djyamyam

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Using a stronger week to see what's available to book exchange with a weaker week??

We purchased another unit and have deposited both the 2006 (Thanksgiving) & 2007 (summer) weeks. The summer week obviously pulls more and has been deposited sooner. Can I call a VG and have them book an exchange using my 2006 deposit (that I don't see) that I see with my 2007 deposit?

I remember seeing a thread that might have touched on this. Do I have to get a supervisor to do it?

Last edited:

gmarine

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
If the week doesnt pull the week you want then you dont have enough trade power for the exchange. The VC wont see the week either.

TravelSFO

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is bait and switch in reverse and you may get a "rogue" VG who is willing to do it for you. Be very careful with this as there has been discussion of RCI cancelling these types of exchanges should your account be audited. This is a situation where RCI has valid reason to take that exchange back.

I wouldn't risk it.

djyamyam

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't understand

In the Sightings area, there are requests to see what's available at specific resorts for specific times because the week one person owns can't see all of what's available. A fellow Tugger with a strong week posts what's available and the OP calls RCI requesting the resort/week in question and gets it (something they didn't know was there because their week didn't pull it).

So how is that different than what I was asking where I used my week that "sees" what's available and then using my week that doesn't see it to reserve it. :confused:

There may be an obvious answer but I'm not getting it. Someone please help me see the light :p

Avery

TUG Member
Reaction score
djyamyam said:
In the Sightings area, there are requests to see what's available at specific resorts for specific times because the week one person owns can't see all of what's available. A fellow Tugger with a strong week posts what's available and the OP calls RCI requesting the resort/week in question and gets it (something they didn't know was there because their week didn't pull it).

So how is that different than what I was asking where I used my week that "sees" what's available and then using my week that doesn't see it to reserve it. :confused:

There may be an obvious answer but I'm not getting it. Someone please help me see the light :p

Often the OP is making the request b/c they can't search online with their week due to an ongoing search. RCI's website is very limited in this regard; if you request more than a 10 week timeframe or different resorts for different weeks, you can't search online any longer.

djyamyam

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Avery said:
Often the OP is making the request b/c they can't search online with their week due to an ongoing search.

I understand that but there was a sighting where a Tugger requested sighting for a specific area because the week they were using to search couldn't see availability because it was a poor trader. There actually was availability and the OP was able to book the week by calling in and requesting the week in question. (this is not an isolated example as it seems to be a common occurence)

Last week I did some searching for the carribean based on some sightings here. I could see it with my summer SoCal 07 but not with my Thanksgiving soCal 06 week. When I called to try to put it on hold with my Thanksgiving week, the VG said I couldn't because if I didn't see it with my Thanksgiving week it didn't have enough trade power and wouldn't give it to me.

How are the two situations different? (I've tried not to give details on the example I'm comparing to because I don't want to put light on the other person in case they weren't supposed to get their trade).]

Last edited:

senorak

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I understand that but there was a sighting where a Tugger requested sighting for a specific area because the week they were using to search couldn't see availability because it was a poor trader. There actually was availability and the OP was able to book the week by calling in and requesting the week in question. (this is not an isolated example as it seems to be a common occurence)

I believe this happened a few months ago w/ some "MC sightings"....when some early spring weeks were showing up on RCI; but some "weaker traders" couldn't see them. A few people called RCI and said that others were seeing them...and for whatever reason, the VC made the exchange (even tho their original weeks did not have enough power to pull the trade). Sure enough, a few weeks later, letters were received from RCI cancelling the trade.

Personally, I wouldn't risk it. If your original week doesn't see the trade available, it doesn't have enough power to pull it. Why not use the stronger trader that does have the power....rather than doing the "bait and switch"? True, some have gotten away with this....more in the past than recently....but it is still wrong. And, you risk losing the week you traded for (after buying airfare) and the week you used for the trade. Not worth the risk...IMHO.

DEB