• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Swapping my DVC Boardwalk July 4th week for Harborside Gold week

icydog

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have been talking to a Harborside owner about swapping with me. He'll get a Boardwalk studio for a week starting on July 4th and I'll get a gold season one bdrm side A for a week to be determined in 2009. I will give up 109 DVC points, which is the highest amount of pts for a studio week (except for Christmas and Easter) on the DVC chart. Is there a Starwood owner with a DVC background here on TUG that can make the comparison for me so I know if this is a good deal or not. Feel free to figure in rental opportunities for both DVC and Harborside if you know them.

Also, we had planned on going in May of 2009 but my granddaughter is getting married that month and I don't want to complicate things by adding another big event. I have tried to find a Star options chart to show how many points a deluxe one bdrm in gold season is and then try to use those pts in Jan 2009 for the same size one bdrm.

I know it will take more pts but I can't find a daily point chart. I figure we can go for fewer days in Jan to make up the difference in points. Can someone pls send me, or post here, a Starwood Star Options daily point chart for Harborside? I know it will be a big difference in Star Option pts so maybe we should opt for side B for 6 nights. I have no way of knowing if this is a viable solution-- so I am looking forward to seeing a point chart.

Thanks so much Starwood owners for your help with this.

Last edited:

arlene22

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think you are getting a good deal. DVC points generally rent for $10-12/point. July 4th is a great week, but even if you got $15/point, that's $1635. Gold season in Harborside includes many summer vacation weeks, which rent for $2000+.

As far as swapping the gold for a partial platinum week, I think the chances of you being able to that are slim to none. Partial weeks can only be booked within 90 days of checkin. By then, it is very likely there will be no winter weeks left. But you can always try (I would make a summer full week reservation and only cancel it if the partial week came through).

I will dig out the daily StarOptions chart and post it shortly.

Bill4728

Reaction score
Marilyn,

Sounds like you're both getting a great deal. They get a week which no one other than a disney owner could hope to get and you get a great week at Harborside. WIN - WIN

here is the link to the Staroptions chart link

Good Luck

arlene22

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marilyn,

Sounds like you're both getting a great deal. They get a week which no one other than a disney owner could hope to get and you get a great week at Harborside. WIN - WIN

here is the link to the Staroptions chart link

Good Luck

I think she wants the daily StarOptions chart.

icydog

TUG Member
Reaction score
Right, I need a daily chart.

Isn't summer very hot in the Bahamas. Why would anyone want to go then? I should explain, we are retired-- no kids. Or maybe we should bring along our grandkids?:eek:

arlene22

TUG Member
Reaction score
Right, I need a daily chart.

Isn't summer very hot in the Bahamas. Why would anyone want to go then? I should explain, we are retired-- no kids. Or maybe we should bring along our grandkids?:eek:

I have never been during the summer, and I know it is a very popular time to go there, but I'm with you-- I would rather go in the winter.

That being said, I'm sure you would be voted best grandma ever if you took your grandkids to Atlantis! (Then you wouldn't have to share that fabulous FC week you just picked up with them :D )

arlene22

TUG Member
Reaction score
I tried to post the daily SO chart, but the file exceeds the 100 KB limit. If you would like me to email it, I'd be happy to do so. I sent you a pm.

icydog

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's 134 dvc points = $2010 in lost revenue--is it still a good deal?

arlene22

TUG Member
Reaction score
To me that is a more equal exchange. Depending on which gold week they reserved, they could get more or less. A bigger variable is which side of the lockoff are you getting? There is a big difference in square footage and in rental potential.

arlene22

TUG Member
Reaction score
Also, I should add, that if you go to the disboards, you will see that points usually rent for between $8-$11 a point. (you have to register there to see the rent/trade board). I am just guessing that someone might be persuaded to pay a premium for a July 4th reservation. Not really sure, though.

icydog

TUG Member
Reaction score
To me that is a more equal exchange. Depending on which gold week they reserved, they could get more or less. A bigger variable is which side of the lockoff are you getting? There is a big difference in square footage and in rental potential.

The man said it is the Deluxe one bdrm which I assume is side A. What's the difference in square footage.

Also, I should add, that if you go to the disboards, you will see that points usually rent for between $8-$11 a point. (you have to register there to see the rent/trade board). I am just guessing that someone might be persuaded to pay a premium for a July 4th reservation. Not really sure, though.

I rent my points for a minimum of $15 per point. On the dis they only get $10 a point which I think is ridiculous. But I don't care-- we're going to Atlantis.

I already got him his reservation, and I made it using borrowed pts, so I can't cancel it now. Come h_ll or high water we are going to Harborside.

arlene22

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marylyn,
The deluxe side is the smaller side of the lockoff-- roughly 550 square feet or so. There is a king bed in the bedroom and a full sized sleeper in the living area. Mini kitchen. No balcony, unless it's a corner unit (you should ask him to request a corner unit).

arlene22

TUG Member
Reaction score
In Phase one, the deluxe side is 557 sq. ft, and the premium side is 947. In Phase two, the deluxe side is 505 sq. ft, and the premium side is 862 sq. ft.

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Comparing room to room, the deluxe Harborside unit is the better room. The Harborside unit has a separate unit room, a larger kitchenette with full refrigerator.

I think the cost or value of the trade is fairly equal. I tried every day to get a room at Harborside, from the week before the fourth, the fourth week and the week after. Nothing was available...nothing. Now the 4th of July week is the second busiest week at Disney during the year.

I think the trade is a win-win also. You both are getting a good deal, at a great time of year, at great resorts.

icydog

TUG Member
Reaction score
In Phase one, the deluxe side is 557 sq. ft, and the premium side is 947. In Phase two, the deluxe side is 505 sq. ft, and the premium side is 862 sq. ft.
Yikes what did I do-- and I can't cancel his confirmation. On the other hand I can cancel it but I have to use those points by Aug 2008 with no banking. I should be able to use 134 points by then but I was so looking forward to going to Atlantis but 505 sq feet is a very small space.

abcmanzer

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you are used to staying in a studio, then a 1BR Deluxe at Harborside will feel like a step up...

If you are used to staying in a DVC 1BR or 2BR, then it may seem like closer quarters, but you still will have separate sleeping spaces and more of a kitchenette than the DVC studios!

myip

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't think it is a bad trade. It is pretty equal studio DVC and small 1 bdrm Atlantis

icydog

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you are used to staying in a studio, then a 1BR Deluxe at Harborside will feel like a step up...

If you are used to staying in a DVC 1BR or 2BR, then it may seem like closer quarters, but you still will have separate sleeping spaces and more of a kitchenette than the DVC studios!

We bought DVC in 1992 and we are among the first owners. We stayed in a studio one time and swore to each other we would never do that again. We've stayed in countless one and two bedroom villas. DVC is a very difficult trade but so is Atlantis for non Starwood SVN owners so I was happy for the trade. But not if I can rent the points out and pay someone less money for a rental of the larger side. I am mixed up as you can tell.

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
We own Starwood and DVC. July 4th week is a difficult week to get via an exchange for both. Harborside rental for that week is $2500-$3500, DVC rental is $1090-$1650, depending on your point rental.

There are only two studios listed on redweek for that week, and four two bedrooms.

Like I posted earlier, we have tried to book anyhing for the summer at Harborside. Nothing is available.....ever.

capjak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BC & SSR, Marriott GV+MVC Pts, WKORV & SVV, HGVC Flamingo
I paid over 2000 to rent the smaller 1 bedroom side at Atlantis the 2nd week of June 2007. I own BCV at Disney.

You are getting a good deal. In the 1 bedroom small side we had 2 adults and 2 teens (1 on pull out sofa and 1 on an aerobed on the floor), there is an electric stove and refrigerator, nicer than a DVC studio.

Go for it and it will be HOT! and the Food will be $$$$$, but it is definitely something you must see if you have a chance it is a Disney resort on steriods and has the best lazy (not really lazy more like adventure) river on this planet......and the beach is nice as well...

jerseygirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm not a huge fan of the small one-Bedroom side, but it's much better than a studio.

I think you're getting the better half of the deal. I've picked up Disney summer weeks for each of the last 4 summers (one and two-BRs) with inexpensive traders ... but I can't find a rental for the particular week I need next summer at Harborside, unless I'm willing to spend $3200 for the "A" side or $4200 for the "B" side from atlantisfamilyfun (I own one unit, but I've been on the hunt for a second unit to rent so a larger group can go).

Take the deal! :D

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm not a huge fan of the small one-Bedroom side, but it's much better than a studio.

I think you're getting the better half of the deal. I've picked up Disney summer weeks for each of the last 4 summers (one and two-BRs) with inexpensive traders ... but I can't find a rental for the particular week I need next summer at Harborside, unless I'm willing to spend $3200 for the "A" side or $4200 for the "B" side from atlantisfamilyfun (I own one unit, but I've been on the hunt for a second unit to rent so a larger group can go).

Take the deal! :D

Pretty much my view. I have seen DVC units at all of the different resorts ,for fourth July week. But I have had no such luck with Harborside. I think I am on a 6 week waitlist for Harborside.