• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

SVV Mandatory Resales - now considered unauthorized - Westin Flex as well?

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
My understanding is unless they do away with VSN which they specifically have said that as of now there is no plans to do so, then mandatory VOI's have to be a part of VSN even upon unauthorized resale.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
My understanding is unless they do away with VSN which they specifically have said that as of now there is no plans to do so, then mandatory VOI's have to be a part of VSN even upon unauthorized resale.
I don't even think they can do away with VSN at this point. VSN is the underlying tie between Vistana VIOs and Abound. The ability for Vistana VOIs to be able to elect Club Points is through an affiliation agreement between VSN and Abound.

grrrah

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Nanea
SVV - Key West
I asked a second chat agent:

(3/27/2023, 2:46:27 PM): Hi I am buying a Sheraton Vistana Villages Bella phase from a current owner.
Will I have use at other Sheraton properties?
Silvina (3/27/2023, 2:47:33 PM): When you purchase externally you will be able to use the property that you are purchasing only.
yup, again technically correct, even before Abound was a thing. Your SVV Bella phase week is good for SVV, so the agent is not lying.

You would need to join VSN membership and exchange your week for Staroptions to use at other resorts (this is a seamless process when you are a member, but how it works). By contract language, it is "Mandatory" that the Bella and Key West phases be eligible for the VSN network.

as Dioxide mentioned, I would ask if the week would still be eligible for VSN membership. And as mentioned, they may get that wrong, or have a way of saying something deceiving and getting away with it. It should be in the estopple during the purchase transaction if you are worried.

The Colorado Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Riverfront
Christie Lodge
Apollo Park
Grand Timber Lodge
Indian Palms
Massanutten
Park Regency
Valdoro Mountain Lodge
Marriott Surfwatch
yup, again technically correct, even before Abound was a thing. Your SVV Bella phase week is good for SVV, so the agent is not lying.

You would need to join VSN membership and exchange your week for Staroptions to use at other resorts (this is a seamless process when you are a member, but how it works). By contract language, it is "Mandatory" that the Bella and Key West phases be eligible for the VSN network.

as Dioxide mentioned, I would ask if the week would still be eligible for VSN membership. And as mentioned, they may get that wrong, or have a way of saying something deceiving and getting away with it. It should be in the estopple during the purchase transaction if you are worried.
@grrrah Great idea I will be sure to ask for the estoppel up front!

baluders

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
None
Hello, is there any follow-on to this discussion? I'm considering buying SVV or Kierland for StarOptions exchange to other resorts, but if they have eliminated the VSN mandatory designation somehow (can they? if this is in a deed?), then those weeks become much less interesting.

This is the first thread I have seen where Marriott seems to be saying that sales of Mandatory resort weeks no longer have VSN or StarOptions.

WatsonC2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana Villages, Wyndham Grand Desert
Hello, is there any follow-on to this discussion? I'm considering buying SVV or Kierland for StarOptions exchange to other resorts, but if they have eliminated the VSN mandatory designation somehow (can they? if this is in a deed?), then those weeks become much less interesting.

This is the first thread I have seen where Marriott seems to be saying that sales of Mandatory resort weeks no longer have VSN or StarOptions.
Mandatory resorts have VSN in their deed and that can't be removed. You couldn't buy one resale and do Abound but you could use star options to book other VSN resorts. Never believe anything from sales.

Naniac

TUG Member
Reaction score
I closed on a WKV resale in December and when it was finally transferred into my existing Vistana account the VSN flag indicated NO with 0 StarOptions but that changed within a day or two and that ownership now shows as VSN = YES. No club points/not eligible for Abound since it was past the August 2022 date, but I didn’t expect to be Abound-eligible.

I would assume the same for all of the mandatory resorts/phases (at least for now).

PhilaMom

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista EOY
Hi - Is there any follow up on this? We’re strongly considering purchasing an SVV Bella or Key West primarily to trade within VSN at 8 months. Thanks!

celica7101

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV/N, Westin Nanea, Westin Flex
Hi - Is there any follow up on this? We’re strongly considering purchasing an SVV Bella or Key West primarily to trade within VSN at 8 months. Thanks!
What follow up are you looking for? Everything in the thread confirms what is written into the deeds at mandatory resorts: that VSN participation is a function/obligation of the deed and should be updated after Vistana transfers ownership in their system.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
My only follow up question would be are they allowing new mandatory resales in Abound? If not are they charging Abound fee or a lower Visatana fee for the non enrolled mandatory Vistana? If not are they putting non enrolled Vistana into the same II account or seperateing those out? Are they allowing non enrolled Vistana points to be in the same account with enrolled Vistana points. Has anyone that is eligible to enroll retail vistana voluntary resort or madatory resale bought before x date, opted out of Abound and what is that like- same questions about fees and co-mingling of any non enrolled units/points.

timsi

TUG Member
Reaction score
The only thing that may make it hard to combine with your Flex is that Vistana isn't necessarily combining accounts. So it might make things messy.
Is there a basis for them not combining VSN accounts? Say you have 2 mandatory resorts pre 08/09 and you buy another one now, they should all be part for the same account. @CPNY did they combine the accounts eventually? I think I remember you bought a post 08/09 mandatory.

iowaguy09

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Flex
Sheraton Flex
Is there a basis for them not combining VSN accounts? Say you have 2 mandatory resorts pre 08/09 and you buy another one now, they should all be part for the same account. @CPNY did they combine the accounts eventually? I think I remember you bought a post 08/09 mandatory.

I have posted this before elsewhere in other threads. We own Westin Flex and Sheraton Flex, both developer purchases, and both purchased prior to August 2022. We could see both ownerships in our account before the updated Vistana dashboard was rolled out. After the rollout, we could only see the Westin Flex VOI information. We had to create a second, new Vistana login in order to see and access the Sheraton Flex VOI information. During an owner update at Nanea in early February 2023 the rep we were with said this multiple login issue is a major complaint they hear from other owners. His explanation was that MVW is treating the ownerships as 5 separate entities: MVC, SVC, WVC, GRM (Grand Residences by Marriott), and R-CC (The Ritz-Carlton Club). He said there is no plan to be able to merge these under one ownership access portal. When any of these ownerships are converted into club points, then you can see the converted club points in Abound. On a webpage he went to that is the currency converter to Abound, was a drop-down that required you to pick from one of the 5 ownership types above. I’m not sure if that calculator is accessible by any of us owners as I have not found it on my own.

When we converted both VOI’s to Abound club points in late February, we could see both ownerships at their converted club point values listed separately on the Vistana/Abound/MVC portal (e.g. the stripped down MVC website that we Vistana owners get sent to when we select to use our club points from the Vistana Dashboard).

This explanation still makes no real sense to me, but I am relaying what we were told.

The Colorado Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Riverfront
Christie Lodge
Apollo Park
Grand Timber Lodge
Indian Palms
Massanutten
Park Regency
Valdoro Mountain Lodge
Marriott Surfwatch
I have posted this before elsewhere in other threads. We own Westin Flex and Sheraton Flex, both developer purchases, and both purchased prior to August 2022. We could see both ownerships in our account before the updated Vistana dashboard was rolled out. After the rollout, we could only see the Westin Flex VOI information. We had to create a second, new Vistana login in order to see and access the Sheraton Flex VOI information. During an owner update at Nanea in early February 2023 the rep we were with said this multiple login issue is a major complaint they hear from other owners. His explanation was that MVW is treating the ownerships as 5 separate entities: MVC, SVC, WVC, GRM (Grand Residences by Marriott), and R-CC (The Ritz-Carlton Club). He said there is no plan to be able to merge these under one ownership access portal. When any of these ownerships are converted into club points, then you can see the converted club points in Abound. On a webpage he went to that is the currency converter to Abound, was a drop-down that required you to pick from one of the 5 ownership types above. I’m not sure if that calculator is accessible by any of us owners as I have not found it on my own.

When we converted both VOI’s to Abound club points in late February, we could see both ownerships at their converted club point values listed separately on the Vistana/Abound/MVC portal (e.g. the stripped down MVC website that we Vistana owners get sent to when we select to use our club points from the Vistana Dashboard).

This explanation still makes no real sense to me, but I am relaying what we were told.
@iowaguy09 great post and re-post thanks! Would you mind keeping us up to date on if you see any changes?

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
They did combine the accounts so I can see them all together but it took a fight to get it done

rcv82

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SMV
WKORV (OFD)
Westin Flex
MVC Trust
GTL
GP8
CWA

While no don’t doubt the explanation they gave you, it doesn’t make sense and is not something they are doing across the board. I own WKORV, SMV, and Westin Flex, and they are all in one account working fine. I did originally have to get some support to get them combined just after purchase, but that’s been years ago at this point and no issue since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sponger76

TUG Member
Reaction score
I own WKORV, SMV, and Westin Flex, and they are all in one account working fine. I did originally have to get some support to get them combined just after purchase, but that’s been years ago at this point and no issue since.
It's a new phenomenon since the Abound rollout. While for the most part VOIs that were already combined under a single membership have been untouched, they are now stating with some regularity that they can no longer merge 'new' resale purchases into pre-existing memberships, necessitating a separate VSN login account for each additional resale acquisition. I had to call/email numerous times to finally get them last month to combine two recent (post-August 2022) resale acquisitions into my original retail login. But now that they did, it broke my ability to book online via VSN. I can search, but it now gives me an error that I have to call to complete bookings due to having multiple memberships. I've now been calling/emailing about this issue for a month and it still isn't fixed. This is in addition to the fact that I haven't been able to search in Abound since early January (it worked when it first rolled out) and nobody knows how to fix it other than to 'escalate to IT' which of course has produced nothing so far.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
It's a new phenomenon since the Abound rollout. While for the most part VOIs that were already combined under a single membership have been untouched, they are now stating with some regularity that they can no longer merge 'new' resale purchases into pre-existing memberships, necessitating a separate VSN login account for each additional resale acquisition. I had to call/email numerous times to finally get them last month to combine two recent (post-August 2022) resale acquisitions into my original retail login. But now that they did, it broke my ability to book online via VSN. I can search, but it now gives me an error that I have to call to complete bookings due to having multiple memberships. I've now been calling/emailing about this issue for a month and it still isn't fixed. This is in addition to the fact that I haven't been able to search in Abound since early January (it worked when it first rolled out) and nobody knows how to fix it other than to 'escalate to IT' which of course has produced nothing so far.
In the past, this issue was caused by either a new or the previous owners VSN member number being on the newly added VOIs. We had this happen on every newly added VOI (pre merger). I could see it online, but it had that error message about "multiple memberships". Also in the past we had a different number you could call to get it fixed. Unfortunately I don't know an easy way now.

timsi

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yet they claimed publicly that nothing changed for those that want to continue to use VSN as in the past. In fact so many things have changed!