• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

SVC Starr Pass (Tucson) recommendations

BJRSanDiego

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
We are planning on being at Shell Starr Pass in a few months.

I am looking for recommendations such as:

What area in the complex should I request (I like areas that are quiet and have a view ) or conversely what areas should I ask not to be given?

Does anyone know which parts of the complex have been updated (if any) ?

Restaurants in the area that you'd recommend ?

We'll be there for 2 weeks - - what are some "don't miss" things to see and/or do? (we are seniors and one with some mobility issues).

sue1947

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark and VI
It's been 10 years since I stayed here but I really liked the place. We were in 2 BR (lockoff) at the top of the hill. Clearwell street runs along the top and deadness a short distance away at a trailhead for hiking in the Tucson Mtn Park. There was nothing across the street from us so it was a very nice and quiet spot. The units are all on one level and are side by side in duplex/triplex buildings. I can't remember if there were any stairs to enter or not. The units are built on a hill (not that steep) so you will want to check on the stairs part. We did a lot of outdoor activities and connected with the Tucson Audubon for some trips.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It's been 10 years since I stayed here but I really liked the place. We were in 2 BR (lockoff) at the top of the hill. Clearwell street runs along the top and deadness a short distance away at a trailhead for hiking in the Tucson Mtn Park. There was nothing across the street from us so it was a very nice and quiet spot. The units are all on one level and are side by side in duplex/triplex buildings. I can't remember if there were any stairs to enter or not. The units are built on a hill (not that steep) so you will want to check on the stairs part. We did a lot of outdoor activities and connected with the Tucson Audubon for some trips.
One time we stayed in a 1 BR and there was an efficiency next door. It was accessed from the outside. This time we're in a 2 BR. I'm wondering if we're going to get an efficiency and a 1 BR, each with its own outside entrance?? I'm hoping that they have actual 2 BR units that are interconnected, because if I want to use the bathroom in the smaller side in the middle of the night, I don't want to have to walk outside in my birthday suit to get to that bathroom. :eek:

dmbrand

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harbor Ridge(3)
Coral Sands-Cayman
We were at Starr Pass in late February, 2021, and stayed in a 2bd unit that consisted of a 1 bd and studio connected by an interior door. Our unit patio faced west looking out at a hill and portion of the golf course. The only visitors we had were the javelinas on their daily scavenging walk.

As this trip was during the uncertain times just as vaccinations were rolling out, we didn’t try many restaurants. One was recommended and really stood out for us… Seis Kitchen. We did order take out from the resort onsite restaurant, and found a brewpub, Ten55 Brewing Co. when we were wandering downtown.

We spent our most of our week hiking the nearby Tucson Mountain Park and Mt Lemmon. If you have a full day, drive all the way up to the top of Mt Lemmon. It is a 40 mile drive from the base, and there are numerous vista points for those that want to get out and see the view or hike around. Another highlight for us was the Arizona Sonora Desert Museum.

If you don’t mind a drive….Tombstone is a historical diversion. It’s a bit touristy, but we enjoyed it.

vikingsholm

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
The nearby JW Marriott is worth a visit for drinks out on the patio or a dinner stop. It's up on the same hill within a mile or so.

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
We stayed in a 1 bdrm (37A) the week after Christmas. It was very quiet, not crowded at all.
Our unit was the larger side of a lockoff. We think the B side is just a small studio, with a small bathroom. Not sure if the studio had a kitchenette. The 1 bdrm was spacious, tho' decor had a 'cooler' vibe to it, designed for summer rather than winter. Patio is very shallow, we didn't spend any time on it.

I suggest units 42-47 or so and 78-80, cause they're closer to their parking lots. 78-80 are at the top of the hill. They border the road that leads up to the trailhead. Even tho' we saw cars driving up the road; it wasn't noisy at all.

El Charro cafe in downtown Tucson looks good; there's always a line outside. Unfortunately haven't been able to eat there.

If you like caves and unusual rock formations, you need to go to Karchner Caverns state park. It's about an hour's drive away, not quite as far as Tombstone.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We just returned from Starr Pass. We had a nice 2 week vacation.

I asked for various locations and said - - whatever you do, don't put me so I have to look at the parking garage. Well, they stuck us in unit 73 which is very close to the parking garage. But we didn't look directly at it and instead looked at an arroyo (gully). So we saw all sorts of deer and javelina plus lots of songbirds.

The internet was okay enough, although it dropped me perhaps 3 or 4 times a day.

We were staying 2 weeks and unless we switched units we didn't get a housekeeping "clean".

Since the last time we were here, they upgraded the units. The lights were brighter. New carpeting, granite countertops, ceramic flooring in some areas, new cabinets, etc. It looks a whole lot nicer.

There was ample parking.

The pool was a bit cool so we didn't use it. They don't have BBQ grills. So, we didn't try grilling (ha ha).

I enjoyed four hikes that started at Starr Pass. It is next door to a regional park and hundreds of miles of trails.

So, we will be happy to go back some time in the future.