• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Surprising survey about teens

Status
Not open for further replies.

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
An institute surveyed teens post pandemic and compared the results with identical questions in a 2018 survey. Fewer teens were desperately lonely, the number of teens saying they were depressed was down, their overall satisfaction with life was just slightly lower. The factors that seem to be working in teens favor is more sleep at more appropriate times given their circadian rhythms, more family interaction, similar time using technology, but less time using social media. They also having to face difficulties and adaptions, felt more empowered over their own lives.

(I said this all comes as a surprise. If you don't agree, don't kill the messenger. Also results were not so good for adults.)

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Nice article about our future generations.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
This is surprising. I guess I can believe teens might be the same but I can‘t believe their mental health is better during Covid. That is impossible to believe.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
It seems that kids are experiencing what it was like to grow up in the 70s 80s 90s and early 2000s.

cman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not surprising at all. Most of these kids are much more resilient than we give them credit for. They're looking at us and wondering why we're freaking out.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
"Post pandemic"? still a long ways away. More cases today then ever worldwide. Any experts guessing on what it tops out at?

needvaca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MGO, WKV, SVV Bella
An institute surveyed teens post pandemic and compared the results with identical questions in a 2018 survey. Fewer teens were desperately lonely, the number of teens saying they were depressed was down, their overall satisfaction with life was just slightly lower. The factors that seem to be working in teens favor is more sleep at more appropriate times given their circadian rhythms, more family interaction, similar time using technology, but less time using social media. They also having to face difficulties and adaptions, felt more empowered over their own lives.

(I said this all comes as a surprise. If you don't agree, don't kill the messenger. Also results were not so good for adults.)
This article conflicts with what I and my friends are seeing with our teen kids, who are all having a hard time, so I read the full article and the full underlying survey. It is flawed for several reasons.
1) the 2020 survey is from May 29-July 3. It doesn’t at all reflect the ongoing reality of the last 3 months since school started (or rather the week by week uncertainty the school system is putting our kids through). Yes, early summer was the highlight for our family and many others, when school ended and the weather improved and the kids got to relax a bit with no demands and more sleep.
2) the 2018 survey was not the same group of teens, and more importantly done in March, which is teen students more stressful time of the year

So, please don’t put faith in the rosy picture this article paints. It is largely false and doesn’t represent the incredibly stressful situation our students are now in with school systems that are failing them.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
This article conflicts with what I and my friends are seeing with our teen kids, who are all having a hard time, so I read the full article and the full underlying survey. It is flawed for several reasons.
1) the 2020 survey is from May 29-July 3. It doesn’t at all reflect the ongoing reality of the last 3 months since school started (or rather the week by week uncertainty the school system is putting our kids through). Yes, early summer was the highlight for our family and many others, when school ended and the weather improved and the kids got to relax a bit with no demands and more sleep.
2) the 2018 survey was not the same group of teens, and more importantly done in March, which is teen students more stressful time of the year

So, please don’t put faith in the rosy picture this article paints. It is largely false and doesn’t represent the incredibly stressful situation our students are now in with school systems that are failing them.
Great analysis of another silly headline. Yes, our kids loved the last few months of the last school year. Big surprise, they had no school. Since summer ended, not so much. Reality is setting in with the teens now.

Another foolish SDSU "study" that is wholly unscientific.

AllSoClear

Reaction score

And remember you can always rent a Range Rover Sport via https://realcar.nyc/rent-a-range-rover-sport if you happen to visit New York.

We dont give enough credit to a future generation. These folks are quite tougher than we think about em.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
I lead a group of 1300 parents desperately fighting to open our schools. I get messages and phone calls every day with sad , sad stories of how their children are suffering.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
I also want to add how ridiculously poor the education is in my area.
This past week our school district started allowing kids into the school for their "hybrid" plan. (Kids will see 14 days total inside their school for semester 1 -- if we don't close again).

There are no more than 5 kids per class. Everyone is masked up. Kids are 6' apart.

The rest of the kids are Zooming the class from home.

In MOST instances, the teacher isn't even in the classroom -- a huge percentage of our teachers have gotten "waivers" of some sort to not be in the classroom. It's a paraprofessional in the classroom "babysitting".

Most parents are screaming "why bother". What's the point of going to school if there is no live teacher and they can't even interact with their friends.

Also - I had one parent contact me with this story: Their child had an actual teacher in the classroom. The student approached the teacher w/a question & the teacher said "Back off!". If everyone is masked up, and there are only 5 kids, is it THAT dangerous? At this point, it's just laughable when you see the rest of the country going back to their jobs & somehow succeeding and making it work.

Many parents where I live believe the schools are making this so awful so that kids choose to stay remote & then guess what, the teachers union "wins"

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Is this year school children going to be label as a loss generations. All parents cannot afford to send their children/students to private schools. IMHO.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is this year school children going to be label as a loss generations. All parents cannot afford to send their children/students to private schools. IMHO.
It’s not a lost generation , as a good amount of America’s kids are back in school . It’s only a loss for the kids who happen to live in states Or areas where the adults are making the decision to keep the schools shut .

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
This wholesale condemnation of teachers is offensive. As all of you know, socially contentious topics are not permitted on TUG. If you want this thread to stay open, tone down the finger pointing.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Who is condemning teachers in this thread ?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
You are:

In MOST instances, the teacher isn't even in the classroom -- a huge percentage of our teachers have gotten "waivers" of some sort to not be in the classroom.

Also - I had one parent contact me with this story: Their child had an actual teacher in the classroom. The student approached the teacher w/a question & the teacher said "Back off!".

Many parents where I live believe the schools are making this so awful so that kids choose to stay remote & then guess what, the teachers union "wins"

Status
Not open for further replies.