• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Surfwatch Views

Robert D

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm buying at week at Surfwatch and the deed says it is an Oceanvista unit. What are the view types at Surfwatch and does this mean it's an ocean view? Thanks for any info you can provide.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm buying at week at Surfwatch and the deed says it is an Oceanvista unit. What are the view types at Surfwatch and does this mean it's an ocean view? Thanks for any info you can provide.
SW does not have OF. It only has Ocean Vista, Oceanside and Garden view. OV is effectively OF but just set further back. If you look at the resort map, Ocean Dunes is Ocean Vista.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
The Ocean Dunes villa is the nearest building to the ocean. You must cross a small walk bridge to reach the ocean. There is a bar area, a small pool area, and a relaxing area after you cross the bridge to the ocean .

The resort also offer shuttle service to the bar area.

The above comments by Dean are right on point IMO.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
jme, thanks for the map. After you cross the bridge on your left will be the Sea Salt Beverage Company Bar and the Sea & Surf Club Pool. The Sea Salt Beverage Co. served food, beer and drinks.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Below is copied from one of several past posts of mine related to SurfWatch resales, with the two most important items bolded here:

Some deeds at SurfWatch were sold with "Ultimate Occupancy" provisions during the construction phase, which means that the Unit Number entered into the deed may NOT be an indication of the view type being purchased. (For example the deed for an "oceanside" purchase may contain the number of an "oceanvista" unit, with a stipulation that upon completion of all buildings the ownership will be "oceanside.") The onsite personnel do not have the necessary access to confirm whether Ultimate Occupancy is in play - that information is only available from Owner Modifications (800-443-4391 or owner.modifications~AT~vacationclub.com).

This is a related thread: Ultimate Occupancy Provision at Surfwatch

Note in the Marriott system only SurfWatch (Hilton Head Island) and OceanWatch (Myrtle Beach) may be affected by UO. Build-out is complete at both resorts so interim placements of UO owners are no longer happening.

Robert D

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Is oceanside better than oceanvista?

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Technically it's a higher level, essentially OF. OS is closer to the main pool and front desk. I own an Ocean Vista and a Garden View but I normally take points on SW these days, actually just did so this morning. OS is likely a little easier to reserve I would imagine and if you own more than one view type, as I do, it might be easier to get the units closer together.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch

I own both at SurfWatch and like both for different reasons, but it's probably important to note too that SurfWatch is my favorite resort because of, and not in spite of, its large footprint and open-air spaces. Wandering through the peaceful natural setting on boardwalks that connect each section of the resort is my favorite morning activity, and the bird-watching is excellent. :)

The OceanVista views are, IMO, quintessential Hilton Head with the view over the marsh to the ocean. The lowest level for units is above the parking area so even a lowest-floor placement gives a great view of the marsh and all its bird activity, but a high-floor placement showcases the ocean. This building is most convenient to (one boardwalk away from) the oceanfront pool and bar/grille then the beach. It can feel like you're not in the midst of all the resort activity because all units are oriented to the beach but sometimes that's exactly what I want. This is an older pic from the 2nd Floor unit in the Ocean Dunes building:

F9FCA16E-2456-47EA-9118-E0A21E4DE1F3.jpeg

The two Oceanside buildings are situated in the center of the resort's footprint so are most convenient to the indoor pool in one direction towards the resort entrance and in the other towards the oceanfront amenities. They flank the resort's feature pool which is where most of the pool parties and other scheduled activities take place, and you definitely get the noise and vibe of a Marriott resort when you're sitting on your balcony. Placement in the lower floors won't give you a long view over the marsh to the ocean but from the top two floors the views are magnificent. This is from the 4th Floor end unit in the Tide Mark building with the pool area on the right and the corner of the Ocean Dunes building on the left:

B9E3BC5B-4B61-401F-8302-2A646591EB1B.jpeg

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
I like Ocean Dunes. Basically for the reason you gave, doesn't feel like your in the hustle and bustle. You can people watch too. Surfwatch is nice.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
I liked and enjoy Surfwatch for all the reason stated by SueDonJ as my favorite South Carolina TS resort. However the Commander in Chief liked OceanWatch and Grand Ocean.
So we will stay two weeks at one resort and the third week at another. LOL.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
It's worth mentioning that the two GV buildings and the check in building do not have under the building parking.

normab

TUG Member
Reaction score
We own OV and absolutely love it. We have also traded back and stayed in other buildings, but the views are so good from this building. The OS is over the main pool, we actually like the garden buildings around the pond better than the pool view....