• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Surfwatch breakfast

momster

Reaction score
Hello all! This is my first post, so I apologize if I am putting this in the wrong place. We checked into Surfwatch yesterday, and listed on tomorrow's activity list is a complimentary continental breakfast at the indoor pool. The exact description is, "Join our personal concierge and marketing team for a continental breakfast and a raffle." Has anyone stayed here recently and attended one of these breakfasts? Is there a lot of pressure to buy something or attend a sales presentation?

We are just trying to decide if it is worth it to attend. I tend to think that it is not worth the hassle for a muffin, but thought I would ask the experts. Thanks so much for any information!

jont

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enrolled in Marriott DC/
MOW /MGC /MCV/MGO / Trust Points
Grab and go

Grab your muffin and coffee and if you dont like what you hear you can just walk out.

windje2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
Grab your muffin and coffee and if you dont like what you hear you can just walk out.

+1

Read my signature.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
take any and all freebies.

Also "do the tour" and get the extra rewards points.

Do you really worry about pressure to buy? That's silly every time I hear it.

Who's in control?

The only person with a legitimate reason to worry is the salesperson. Just say "no thanks" or something like "we're looking at other resorts too and we'll get back to you", or whatever. THAT is not stress.

BTW, enjoy the glorious weather we're now having in the southeast!!!! Will be there at HH next week on an "extra" bonus week. Can't wait. Gonna get the huge bone-in ribeye at Santa Fe (called the Cowboy Cut Rib Chop)....Mmmmmm. amazing. Wife loves the signature Grouper entree.

kjd

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Most of the resorts have these group presentations. If you have not attended one of them is is usually a good idea to do so. They usually spend a lot of time on activities and tours at the resort. Not much pressure to buy anything. You can always walk out. Sometimes they are couched as "owner updates" or in this case an information session and raffle.

It will give you an opportunity to ask questions about the resort and the surronding area. Likewise, you won't be at any disadvantage if you don't attend.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
SurfWatch has both the Continental Breakfast and a separate Owner's Meeting scheduled every week; none that I've gone to have been high-pressure for sales.

The breakfast just seems to be a chance for anyone staying at the resort to grab a quick bite to eat and chit-chat with the other guests and SW staff. It gets a pretty good turnout with folks dropping in and out.

The Owner's Meeting is set up more so that it's conspicuous when folks get up and leave in the middle of it but it still isn't a sales push - the GM or one of the other resort staff usually give a pretty good presentation as far as ongoing and upcoming refurbs along with the latest budget reports and annual survey results of where the resort fits in with the rest of the Marriott resorts. The speaker makes a point of saying that s/he's resort staff and doesn't know how to sell you anything, but of course the sales staff is available to anyone with questions. The meeting ends with a member of the sales staff coming in at the end with a sign-up sheet but again, there's no pressure and it's easy to leave the meeting at that point.

We were at SW last week and didn't attend either because we went to an Owner's Meeting in May when all the major refurb stuff was explained, and there's now a board in the lobby with an artist rendering. We didn't get asked once to attend a sales presentation - no push at check-in and no phone calls to the unit (other than the routine call every night from the Activities team with details about the next day's schedule.)

mish

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've had the same breakfast experience as Susan. More of an informal get together to meet and talk to other guests/members. The staff usually highlights the upcoming activities and answer any questions about tours, restaurants, etc. I've never had any pressure to sign up for a presentation.
Mish

davidn247

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello all! This is my first post, so I apologize if I am putting this in the wrong place. We checked into Surfwatch yesterday, and listed on tomorrow's activity list is a complimentary continental breakfast at the indoor pool. The exact description is, "Join our personal concierge and marketing team for a continental breakfast and a raffle." Has anyone stayed here recently and attended one of these breakfasts? Is there a lot of pressure to buy something or attend a sales presentation?

We are just trying to decide if it is worth it to attend. I tend to think that it is not worth the hassle for a muffin, but thought I would ask the experts. Thanks so much for any information!

Did they call you ahead of check-in for this and put you in a nice villa/room?

When in Hawaii (II exchange), we were told that if you agree to join a presentation they usually put you in a nicer villa at check-in (if they can). I was called one week before check-in and declined the invitation...

Do not know if really true, but would like to know if this is the "new freebies" at certain resorts.

Pens_Fan

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
SurfWatch has both the Continental Breakfast and a separate Owner's Meeting scheduled every week; none that I've gone to have been high-pressure for sales.

The breakfast just seems to be a chance for anyone staying at the resort to grab a quick bite to eat and chit-chat with the other guests and SW staff. It gets a pretty good turnout with folks dropping in and out.

The Owner's Meeting is set up more so that it's conspicuous when folks get up and leave in the middle of it but it still isn't a sales push - the GM or one of the other resort staff usually give a pretty good presentation as far as ongoing and upcoming refurbs along with the latest budget reports and annual survey results of where the resort fits in with the rest of the Marriott resorts. The speaker makes a point of saying that s/he's resort staff and doesn't know how to sell you anything, but of course the sales staff is available to anyone with questions. The meeting ends with a member of the sales staff coming in at the end with a sign-up sheet but again, there's no pressure and it's easy to leave the meeting at that point.

We were at SW last week and didn't attend either because we went to an Owner's Meeting in May when all the major refurb stuff was explained, and there's now a board in the lobby with an artist rendering. We didn't get asked once to attend a sales presentation - no push at check-in and no phone calls to the unit (other than the routine call every night from the Activities team with details about the next day's schedule.)

We were also at Surfwatch last week.

I wonder if we saw you?

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score
I usually go to these meeting.
Arrive early and get the good donuts :)

At any T/S that is near a Spa, they usually give out a discount.
Same with tours, if you are planning on doing any of them, then it is usually worth it as they also give out discounts (But just like Time Shares, never believe the "you have to book now" you can always get the discount)

I also suggest arriving early and talking to the other guests.
Some folks may be at the end of their stay and have some good suggestions on places to go, eat etc...

momster

Reaction score
Many thanks!

Glad to hear that it isn't a high-pressure affair. We are newcomers to the TS world, and we didn't want to get cornered and spend the whole morning fending off aggressive salespeople. Thanks to everyone for all the helpful information! :)