• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Supermarket Shortgages

MrockStar

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Just went shopping yesterday at Albertsons. Casually noticed only one bare shelf where the ramen is. Plenty of dairy (though perennially expensive here in CA compared to most other places), plenty of meat and produce, lots of chips. No Coke Zero again (been very spotty during the whole pandemic), but as usual lots of Diet Pepsi, which DW loves. I also drink it when Coke Zero isn't available.
Yes coke zero has been hard to find earlier not noticed it here lately.

mentalbreak

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have noticed Tostitos Scoops and Fritos Scoops are unavailable in my area.

And my last 2 visits to Costco I have noticed a “sorry we are out of rotisserie chicken” sign. I wasn’t buying one, so not sure if it was just an end-of-the-day thing or an ongoing shortage.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Diet Cherry Pepsi and Fancy Feast have been our only issues, but those have been ongoing since almost the beginning of the pandemic. When we lived in the LA Harbor area we had pretty good luck at what the Nextdoor and Facebook groups called "ghetto Vons". Ghetto Vons is 2-3 miles from the other Vons in town, but is heavily multi family residences and lower income. Our theory was always that the less affluent residents couldn't afford to stockpile items and buy in bulk. So we'd go in and buy boxes of cat food and "must buy three" (which pisses me off) 12 packs of DCP or "must buy five" 2 liter bottles. When that failed, we'd plan our half hour surface street trip to Mom's house, and back, to hit grocery stores looking for pop and cat food. Our new home in San Juan Capistrano seems to be in a DCP dead zone. We had quite a few doctors appts in our old neighborhood in December, so we stocked up to get me thru January. Will have to go scouring again in February.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
I have noticed Tostitos Scoops and Fritos Scoops are unavailable in my area.

And my last 2 visits to Costco I have noticed a “sorry we are out of rotisserie chicken” sign. I wasn’t buying one, so not sure if it was just an end-of-the-day thing or an ongoing shortage.

We semi-regularly buy Fritos when the lower salt variety jumps out at us. Those seem to be scarce lately.

Jodyv

TUG Member
Reaction score
Oh my goodness, MILK for 0.87 a gallon??? Wow!!! And I didn't even know there was such a thing as Cherry Coke Zero until a few weeks ago....and finding it again at the store yesterday was a BIG deal to us!!

Years ago....(probably in the 80's) I read a joke that I've been remembering frequently these days. Here goes....as I remember it..... The man in front of me at the supermarket says, as he's checking out, "Oh my gosh! The prices have certainly increased since the last time I was here!!!!"
The clerk answered "oh really, when was the last time you were here??"
"Yesterday..." answered the man.

nomoretslt

Reaction score
Certain brands of cat food, milk, eggs. When eggs reappeared the 30 count we usually buy went up by $1.50 or so. Meat has gotten so high....husband will wait until it gets marked down for last day of sale....but only if it was already on sale that week.

mentalbreak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Certain brands of cat food, milk, eggs. When eggs reappeared the 30 count we usually buy went up by $1.50 or so. Meat has gotten so high....husband will wait until it gets marked down for last day of sale....but only if it was already on sale that week.

Our in-laws bought meat for Christmas. I’m not sure if we are getting 1/4 or 1/2 (beef and pork) but they should be processed soon. GREAT GIFT for this family with teenage boys.

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Last week Walmart had no generic cream cheese, only Philadelphia in double packs. This week I went to three grocery stores looking for flank steak. Finally went to a butcher shop who only had frozen packages. A gal in there said she had just been to several stores looking for a whole chicken, no luck. I have been searching for the fireballs candy for months. No where to be found.

geekette

Reaction score
It’s been a total crapshoot for months. Latest shock was 2$ for one head of lettuce, but prices are overall out of control. I like cooking so I’m just doing a lot more from scratch than I had been.

nomoretslt

Reaction score
Our in-laws bought meat for Christmas. I’m not sure if we are getting 1/4 or 1/2 (beef and pork) but they should be processed soon. GREAT GIFT for this family with teenage boys.
Nice! Our neighbor would always bid on beef or lamb from the kids in the 4H at the county fair. He would always gift us with some goodies. So good! It’s just the two of us now since we moved and won’t have a giant stand up freezer in our new home. We opted for two full-size units...one fridge and one freezer. So they will be like side by sides without being attached. So hubs can still load up on last day of sale stuff but can’t get too overzealous.

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I’ve seen early 90s Soviet shelves in person. Nothing in America even comes close to that.

I feel the same about early 90s East German groceries… seems exaggeration is the name of the day on TUG.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
The poultry, fresh and frozen, sections are barely stocked at our Harris Teeter. Dairy products are looking quite skimpy and their sell by dates are only a week to two away. I've had problems off and on throughout getting my pup's Royal Canin food. Early on the rice shelves were empty but are fine now. Prices have risen quite a bit, both in restaurants and stores. One steakhouse we go to charged $50 for a 16 oz ribeye several months ago. Sides extra. Fortunately we almost always share a meal when we go out and add a salad and possibly a dessert and tip generously. They have raised the price to $65.00. But it's not the best prime ribeye in town so we'll be moving on to another or grilling our own.

joestein

TUG Member
Reaction score
It’s been a total crapshoot for months. Latest shock was 2$ for one head of lettuce, but prices are overall out of control. I like cooking so I’m just doing a lot more from scratch than I had been.

Talk about pricing... I bought a 1.5 lb. Hebrew National bullet salami for $14 right before Christmas. I bought one this evening at the same store. Now $16.

JudyH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Cat food has been a problem for me lately. I have a picky cat and the food she likes has not been available. Also 1/2 & 1/2 was not available on my last order too.

There was already a known Cream Cheese shortage that started in the fall.
We were able to find cat food at Tractor Supply. Not sure how it is right now.

mentalbreak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Talk about pricing... I bought a 1.5 lb. Hebrew National bullet salami for $14 right before Christmas. I bought one this evening at the same store. Now $16.

just wait - soon it will be 1.25 lb.
Went to order Oscar Meyer deli turkey last night online from Target. Now 8 oz (was 9) and 40% price increase. Sorry kids, this will have to wait until the next Aldi run.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Rolling shortages are not a bad thing. Keeps inventory fresh and carrying costs down. It is a shame how much food is wasted before the consumer buys it where even more food is wasted.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
We haven't experienced much. We had delays on cat food but now resumed. Also a chocolate at Trader Joes - but I could do without that with my New Year's resolution :)

FWIW temporary shortages don't affect us much. I keep a well stocked pantry and freezer and buy chicken, seafood bulk from Costco and beef on sale at a local store so can go quite a while before we are out

joestein

TUG Member
Reaction score
just wait - soon it will be 1.25 lb.
Went to order Oscar Meyer deli turkey last night online from Target. Now 8 oz (was 9) and 40% price increase. Sorry kids, this will have to wait until the next Aldi run.

The bullet salami used to be 2lb. I can get it sliced at the deli for $13/lb - we are almost approaching that price. I used to pay $9/lb before the pandemic at Shoprite.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
I haven't been able to find decaf colas for some time, i've had to switch to natural decaf flavors, mostly drink lime seltzer waters now. We don't do caffeine.

Sent from my Lenovo 10e using Tapatalk

This. It's gotten progressively worse over the past few months.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
Produce has been an issue here. Our produce section at Meijer was wiped out of almost all types of lettuce and leafy spinach, only a few containers of each. No strawberries and other fruits as well. We can find bananas, citrus fruits (lemon, lime, oranges) but no pears and a very small supply of grapes. Our local Costco also was short strawberries, grapes and lettuce. Friskies beef cat food has been off and on since last winter as well (picky cat won't touch anything else canned but Friskies beef). Dry cat food and dog food has been fine, though.

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Grocery shelves in Vegas often look like early nineties Russian shelves.
I'm in a relatively small town visiting my sister in CA. When I returned from large chain grocery, I told her the empty shelves reminded me of third world travel.

nomoretslt

Reaction score
The bullet salami used to be 2lb. I can get it sliced at the deli for $13/lb - we are almost approaching that price. I used to pay $9/lb before the pandemic at Shoprite.
I sure do miss Shop Rite. We don’t have it here. Food Lion, Publix or Lowe’s Foods. Publix is pretty much like Shop Rite. I miss the can can sale.