• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Supermarket Shortgages

Krteczech

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Towers at Mullet Bay, SXM
Silverado II, CO
Sometimes dairy products shelves in glassed in coolers are sporadically stocked, but there is always choice of similar products. Grocery shopping in our small mountain town is now less stressful than during high tourist season. Some of our Safeway employees drive 30 miles one way to get to work. I compliment them frequently. Without their daily effort our quality of life would go literally downhill. Regarding cream cheese shortages, we didn’t experience any.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I forgot to mention it upthread, but it dawns on me that since Covid, a helluva lot of people must be living on ramen noodles. Those shelves are often empty. Maybe it was just me, but I don't think I ever noticed it before, and when I look into the carts of large families shopping together, there seem to be a lot of cases of ramen- and chips and sodas.

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm very surpised - because I order most food via walmart delivery, I can go back in my history to see what prices I paid for the staples I buy every week. I looked at my orders in early January 2021 to compare. Really not much difference at all. Some items higher, some lower. Overall a wash.

joestein

TUG Member
Reaction score
I sure do miss Shop Rite. We don’t have it here. Food Lion, Publix or Lowe’s Foods. Publix is pretty much like Shop Rite. I miss the can can sale.

My daughter is a cashier on the weekend. She had the big CAN CAN button on her apron. I tried to get her to do the can can with me. But it was a no go.

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
My daughter is a cashier on the weekend. She had the big CAN CAN button on her apron. I tried to get her to do the can can with me. But it was a no go.

Did she even know what the can can was?

I have had more eye rolls with my teen than I care to count.. But, I love them non the less and they may just be the silly little things she remembers when she thinks about mom long after I'm gone.

Just this morning, I made an insanely big deal about how the wear pattern in my snoozies (which are slippers) was a face. She rolled her eyes, laughed and told me to stop. But, I know, many years from now if she comes across a similar scenario, she will remember her mom acting stupid with her worn out slippers

Deb & Bill

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC - OKW, Sold BRV; Used to own Charter Club Marco Island
SW Florida Publix $4.39 a gallon for 2% milk. I've notice very little Gatorade for months on the shelves where I live. But it could be the tourists buying it to drink on the beach.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
We occasionally see some partially empty shelves but we can find what we want. Just bought Whole Milk at 87 cents per gallon. Chicken legs, thighs and breast bone in and with skin were 99 cents per pound.
What a deal on milk. We just paid $4.99 gallon for whole milk in Orlando.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
You must be buying some name brand dairy milk? Like T.G. Lee? I bought Great Value whole milk the other day for $3.19 in Jacksonville. I bet if I went to Aldi it would be cheaper.

mbh

TUG Member
Reaction score
SW Florida Publix $4.39 a gallon for 2% milk. I've notice very little Gatorade for months on the shelves where I live. But it could be the tourists buying it to drink on the beach.
We shop at Publix in Naples. This week, for the first time in 2 months, there was Gatorade on the shelf

chellej

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We were affected by the winter storms closing the passes coming over from the coast. Lots of empty shelves but it was very temporary. Couldn't get the dog treats my pups like, pepsi is often out of stock at costco as is whole organic milk. Other than that...prices are high but I get what I need

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Made a Costco run today. Got everything on my list (and a few 'impulse' ;) choices). Life is good! No shortages here.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
This item is in short supply in all groceries stories in Suffolk, Chesapeake and Portsmouth, VA. Pillsbury Buttermilk Biscuits with five Buttermilk biscuits.

When you see them on the shelves at Walmart, Kroger, Food Loins and Harris-Teeter.
You need to purchased a minimum of six cans because they only stock them ever Wednesday morning. LOL

joestein

TUG Member
Reaction score
Did she even know what the can can was?

I have had more eye rolls with my teen than I care to count.. But, I love them non the less and they may just be the silly little things she remembers when she thinks about mom long after I'm gone.

Just this morning, I made an insanely big deal about how the wear pattern in my snoozies (which are slippers) was a face. She rolled her eyes, laughed and told me to stop. But, I know, many years from now if she comes across a similar scenario, she will remember her mom acting stupid with her worn out slippers

She knows it - she kicked up an unenthusiastic leg once or twice then walked away.

Luvtoride

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Cypress Harbor
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Desert Springs Villas II
Marriott Grande Ocean
We went to a Wegmans supermarket in NJ today and we were floored by how empty the shelves were. The cases of meats, seafood, packaged dairy and prepared foods were well stocked as were the fruits and vegetables. The actual grocery shelves were not. Shelves of Canned goods, beverages, boxed items were noticeably bare. The other area where I noticed shortages was the cheese counter. Wegmans usually has an outstanding cheese selection. The cheese counter looked bare. The workers were cutting up the few wheels of cheese they had in order to "stock" the bins, but the selection was sparse. I didn't have a chance to ask them about the lack of cheese variety. The other thing we noticed was the prices! Wow, it seemed like everything has been jacked up in price!

Lydlady

TUG Member
Reaction score
Haven’t noticed any shortages before today. But just came back from the store and only a few bagged salads.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
No tortilla chips in our local Winn-Dixie this evening. I also couldn't find any jars of beef gravy.

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
I never thought that I could buy pork tenderloin for less than ground chuck, and chicken breasts now cost less than wings. Food prices are definitely up a lot more than the social security payment increase. Just when you thought things couldn't get worse, they do.

joestein

TUG Member
Reaction score
We went to a Wegmans supermarket in NJ today and we were floored by how empty the shelves were. The cases of meats, seafood, packaged dairy and prepared foods were well stocked as were the fruits and vegetables. The actual grocery shelves were not. Shelves of Canned goods, beverages, boxed items were noticeably bare. The other area where I noticed shortages was the cheese counter. Wegmans usually has an outstanding cheese selection. The cheese counter looked bare. The workers were cutting up the few wheels of cheese they had in order to "stock" the bins, but the selection was sparse. I didn't have a chance to ask them about the lack of cheese variety. The other thing we noticed was the prices! Wow, it seemed like everything has been jacked up in price!

And Wegmans wasn't cheap to begin with......

In general - food prices have had tremendous price increases - many times combined with a decrease in size or quality.

I will say that we eat ground turkey instead of ground beef - my wife doesn't want to eat red meat - I think the price of that has stayed steady.

Last edited:

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
And Wegmans wasn't cheap to begin with......

In general - food prices have had tremendous price increases - many times combined with a decrease in size or quality.

I will say that we eat ground turkey instead of ground beef - my wife doesn't want to eat red meat - I think the price of that has stayed steady.
Poultry and pork have definitely not increased as much as beef and seafood. I also buy lamb chops at Costco for $8.99/ lb to serve my occasional 'steak' fix.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
I went to my local grocer and they had some ramen cups! Well, they had 4 Tapatio ramen cups. I bought two of them. When I ate the first one, I quickly understood why they were still on the shelf.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
I went to my local grocer and they had some ramen cups! Well, they had 4 Tapatio ramen cups. I bought two of them. When I ate the first one, I quickly understood why they were still on the shelf.
You did not know that before?

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Isn't it obvious?

To me it was 20 years ago when people would but that junk and eat it. No thank you. There is eating healthy, not eating healthy and then there is not caring at all what one puts in their body.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
To me it was 20 years ago when people would but that junk and eat it. No thank you. There is eating healthy, not eating healthy and then there is not caring at all what one puts in their body.

I love cup ramen, like maruchan, for example, so yes, I have an idea what to expect. Tapatio cup ramen tasted like warmed over butt. Don't ask me how I know.

You seem awfully quick to judge the choices others make.....