• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Super Bowl Pot Luck

geekette

Reaction score
In other words, no football to be found at our house. Potatoes, apples, cucumbers, peas -- what's not to like, unless it's seasoned with either cilantro or tarragon (neither of which I can abide).
Sorry for the jab. It was a play on words. I definitely don't like peas, had manager taste pea salad I had to make at restaurant. I'm kind of a purist, and really like potato salad. I'm not sure I could be ok with the textures of apple and cuke added. Maybe if I hadn't heard (and mentally tasted) Potato Salad, I wouldn't have same reaction. I'm not big on mustard but definitely like it in potato salad. It's a mixed fruit and veggie salad! I have tried weird combos myself, and would maybe throw in some bacon, blue cheese, maybe slice some grapes.

If I found it at a party, I'd put some on my plate if peas weren't prominent. I grew up trying everything, whether I wanted to or not. We had to have No Thank You helpings. I do it lot now because you never know what you like until you try it. You say it's good, I'd try a spoonful of it. Frankly, that you'd consider taking it to a party is endorsement enough. For a ballgame party, I'd lean towards finger foods. For the annual June party my friend throws, it's perfect.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
@geekette said "I grew up trying everything, whether I wanted to or not. We had to have No Thank You helpings."

LOL my family is famous for "Don't like it, never tried it". Every Thanksgiving we have to have two pies (now for only four people) because Dad's never tried pumpkin pie and isn't about to try it at this late date.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
The person having the party settled it by putting m DH down to bring a Vegi and dip platter. I think that's for the best.

geekette

Reaction score
@geekette said "I grew up trying everything, whether I wanted to or not. We had to have No Thank You helpings."

LOL my family is famous for "Don't like it, never tried it". Every Thanksgiving we have to have two pies (now for only four people) because Dad's never tried pumpkin pie and isn't about to try it at this late date.
Wow, never tried pumpkin pie... then he's not about to try any kind of pumpkin soup... that's ok, I thought sweet potato pie sounded gross, tried it once, and found it similar but not close enough. one year I grew pumpkins and found out that people don't like Real Pumpkin pie, they like Canned Pumpkin pie. oh well, more for me.... [also discovered that processing pumpkins is a super messy and time consuming thing]

for a while, my brother had a comedy bit about no thank you helpings as other families apparently don't do that. The bit referred to Aunt Martha's sh!t pie. But I don't like sh!t pie! you have to have some sh!t pie... even the dog wouldn't eat sh!t pie....

One of the worst things my mother did was force us to remain at the table until our plates were clear. Don't do that to your kids. A 6 yo doesn't need to be stuck at the dining table all night because cooked spinach with vinegar on it is gross (have never revisited the issue as an adult, cuz it still sounds gross). My sister became obese, believing she had to eat everything. Then believed she deserved nothing because she was fat. All this trauma for no good reason. It is not actually a crime to leave some food on your plate or to not try something.

Getting together with people is the important thing, food is secondary or even farther down the list...

Enjoy the party!

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Cliff and I occasionally tried to cook something we knew Dad would reject if he had the chance. Cliff made carrot soup for Easter dinner one year. First course, only thing on the table, bowl brought to each person, so Dad couldn't just say no thanks. Turns out he liked carrot soup! My favorite story is having them for brunch, and bringing individual plates out from the kitchen with potatoes, eggs, ham and a popover. It's breakfast, there are several kinds of jam on the table, the butter dish is there, and he picks up the popover turning it over and over examining it as if it were an alien object. We watched this without saying a word. Finally Dad says "What the hell am I supposed to do with this?" Another time I made stew and our bread was made from scratch cheddar scones. I knew he wouldn't take one from a basket, so each bowl of stew was set on a plate, and a scone was set on the plate and tucked partially under the bowl. That time he didn't even try what was obviously a bread item of some sort. If his mother didn't make it, he doesn't want it. ETA, just read this to Cliff and he comes up with "Wass der Bauer nicht kennt, dass frist er nicht". What the peasant doesn't know, that he won't eat. (Note to self don't ever again try to type German on an iPad).

Last edited:

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
One of the most successful things I ever brought to a potluck was homemade potato salad. Tons of hardboiled eggs, tons of mayo, potatoes, salt, onion, people went nuts. I think most people don't make their own potato salad, so they think it's like the kind you get in big containers.

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
My husband makes a Potato Salad with Apples, Cucumbers and Peas. I like it but I am not sure how well it would go over at the SB party he is going to. In a way he doesn't care because he said he can just bring it home if no one there likes it.

Should he make it or should I help him make something more traditional- and if so what? He isn't from the US (but has lived here over 20 years). This is his grandmother's recipe.

Is he from Poland? Are they fresh cucumbers or pickles?

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Is he from Poland? Are they fresh cucumbers or pickles?
He is Russian, born in Kiev and raised in Baku, Azerbaijan.
It actually has both cucumbers and pickles.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates

My older dd loves pumpkin pie. Years ago I had a friend at work who had a small bakery business with her sister for the holidays. They made a killer sweet potato pie. I had to tell my dd that it was pumpkin or she never would have tried it. Fooled her for years.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'd try that! What is the dressing?
I think it's just mayo. I will get him to give me the written recipe and list it here. It's not like regular potato salad but when he makes a batch, often on timeshare stays, it is something that we eat as a side both with breakfast and lunch. Usually we don't have it with dinner.

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think it's just mayo. I will get him to give me the written recipe and list it here. It's not like regular potato salad but when he makes a batch, often on timeshare stays, it is something that we eat as a side both with breakfast and lunch. Usually we don't have it with dinner.

Thanks! Would love to try it.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
The person having the party settled it by putting m DH down to bring a Vegi and dip platter. I think that's for the best.

Looking at your avatar I thought you should be in charge of the crab dip.

Bill

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
This is not a potluck, holiday party or family gathering. This is THE SUPERBOWL! Special rules apply.:cool:

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Potato salad is good except I won't eat it if it has apples, cucumber and peas. :) I normally bring a large tray of sushi from a top Sushi/Japanese restaurant to pot luck parties and they disappear quickly.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Potato salad is good except I won't eat it if it has apples, cucumber and peas. :) I normally bring a large tray of sushi from a top Sushi/Japanese restaurant to pot luck parties and they disappear quickly.

Sushi is absolutely my "Don't like it, never tried it". I watched Ina Garten make ceviche last weekend and thought, well, if she was standing right there I'd probably try it, otherwise no way!

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).

One of the worst things my mother did was force us to remain at the table until our plates were clear. Don't do that to your kids. A 6 yo doesn't need to be stuck at the dining table all night because cooked spinach with vinegar on it is gross (have never revisited the issue as an adult, cuz it still sounds gross). My sister became obese, believing she had to eat everything. Then believed she deserved nothing because she was fat. All this trauma for no good reason. It is not actually a crime to leave some food on your plate or to not try something.

Enjoy the party!

I agree! That's the the way I was raised too. I did attempt to carry it over with our daughter though was never as strict as my mother about it. But one night, our daughter asked for pumpkin pie. Turned out all she wanted was the whipped cream on top, not the pie. She ate that and asked for more whipped cream. We declined to give it to her. At that time, we also had a rule about everyone staying at the table until all were finished. So my husband and I sat with her for what seemed like hours. She absolutely refused to eat the pie and finally got sent to her room for the evening. She's now 49 years old and has never eaten anything orange since that day. We regret it but it comes up in conversation at least twice a year and everyone laughs. A night none of us has ever forgotten.

Last edited:

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Sushi is absolutely my "Don't like it, never tried it". I watched Ina Garten make ceviche last weekend and thought, well, if she was standing right there I'd probably try it, otherwise no way!
You'll never know what you're missing. :p

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
One of the worst things my mother did was force us to remain at the table until our plates were clear.
I remember a similar incident when I was 6 or 8 years old. After half an hour of staring at the offending food (I do not remember what it was), I realized the dog would be grateful for anything. Pass the offending food under the table; dog is happy; food is gone; mom thinks she won; win-win all around.

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score

I have had ceviche. I would not choose it for a potluck. :D

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score

Sound like The Host of the SB party have a winning game plan.
Good luck and enjoy.

geekette

Reaction score
I agree! That's the the way I was raised too. I did attempt to carry it over with our daughter though was never as strict as my mother about it. But one night, our daughter asked for pumpkin pie. Turned out all she wanted was the whipped cream on top, not the pie. She ate that and asked for more whipped cream. We declined to give it to her. At that time, we also had a rule about everyone staying at the table until all were finished. So my husband and I sat with her for what seemed like hours. She absolutely refused to eat the pie and finally got sent to her room for the evening. She's now 49 years old and has never eaten anything orange since that day. We regret it but it comes up in conversation at least twice a year and everyone laughs. A night none of us has ever forgotten.
Wow, long lasting effects!

parents and sibs didn't stick around, we did not have rule of everyone stays. I was stuck in my chain in empty kitchen by myself. dog wasn't going to eat it. Eventually I got old enough to get clever, but it really just taught me how to lie. did you eat it? yes.

As an adult, I am not the least bit tempted to cook spinach down to glop, douse it in vinegar and dig in. Probably had I taught myself how to vomit on command, I could've had one big eruption all over the table and they would never have pushed that gross stuff again.

For me, when I smell vinegar, I think, somebody's cleaning! vs, mmmm, someone's making good food!