• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Sunset Fisherman

roberti

Reaction score
Hi,

I purchased a timeshare last year from the Sunset group for the Sunset Fisherman, we paid $100,000 over 5 years, with $20,000 down on our credit card. Various things promised to us have not happened, half price flights from the UK, we are going back to Mexico this year, but couldnt even get the apartment that we paid for.
It was sold as an investment & something to pass on to our kids as it is a title deeded timeshare.
Starting off with 4 weeks a year, then after 5 year we will get 8 weeks, which we thought we could sell on.
Should I continue paying $1000 a month for 5 years or walk away from about $30000,

Some advice would be apprecaited.

Regards

Bill4728

Reaction score
First, NO timeshare should be considered a investment. When you buy a TS from the developer, you almost always lose 50% of the value when you walk out the door. That is why almost all the time you'll read that here on TUG we recommend that you buy your TS resale. Generally you'll save amout 50% off resale ( sometimes up to 90%)

Second, unless you plan well ahead, it is very likely that the resort you want to use will be booked by some other member. So if you want to travel during peak travel time ( summer for most resorts but winter for ski areas ect) you need to reserve early.

As far as walking away from your TS, while you still owe $30,000. Most people will say that your credit will be severly damaged and that's a choice you have to make for yourself.

Good Luck

roberti

Reaction score
Sunset hell

Sound advice, but too late for us,

well we will go back in October & see if the whole timeshare experiance is worth the money & effort.

Thanks

sernow

TUG Member
Reaction score
You need to get some legal advice on how to proceed and what the applicable laws are in your country that might protect you. If I understand correctly you still owe $70,000 on this which is too much to just chalk up to experience (or it is to me).

roberti

Reaction score
Sunset nightmare

Yes you are correct,

I still owe around $70,000, but we are hoping that our visit in October will be a happy one & we can resolve our issues with Sunset, then we can look at what our rights as consumers are, but because I am $30,000 down already I would at least like a holiday out of it !!!

Reading the various reports from previous threads, there does not seem to be many successful outcomes with other effected parties, & one woman had her contract cancelled after she had paid in full, now imagine that happening after 100,000 dollar investmant.

Can no one hold these companies accountable ?

krissydee

Reaction score
Profeco maybe can hold them accountable but you'd have to be able to prove you were a victim of fraud. That's unlikely to happen. They may of told you one thing, then your contract says something else or leaves it out completely (like the half price flights). Or they may of explained benefits to you that really don't exist, like it's an investment... which it is certainly not. Those are just verbal and you can't prove it ever happened. The written contract is going to hold true.

If you're able to PROVE you were lied to, you may have a case.

Good Luck!