• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Summer Bay/Exploria customer service non-existant

benthayer

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Summer Bay
In early Jan., of this year I decided to surrender my timeshare back to Summer Bay. I understood that several years ago they had a rather seamless process to do that.
My reasons are for age, rising costs, and financial situation. I first e-mailed Exploria with my intentions and never heard back from them. After a week I called customer service and they told me I would have to contact Exploria Evolutions. I contacted them but only received a voice mail which said they would get back with me in 15 days. A week later I received an e-mail stating it would be 30 days before they would get back to me. It has now been 38 days and have not heard a word from them other than getting a call today saying my maintenance fees are late.
My advice to anyone even thinking about purchasing Summer Bay/Exploria--DON'T!!!!!

I just e-mailed Exploria Evolutuions to remind them that I had not heard from them in over 38 days and this is their response--

"Thank you for contacting Exploria Evolutions, our Owner’s path to the next chapter in their Vacation Ownership journey.

We have received your inquiry and are working diligently to evaluate and review your account and information. One of our team members will be in touch with you either by telephone or email communication within 15-20 business days. At that time, our team member will confirm your request and intent, as well as any pertinent information regarding your inquiry. In the meantime, please use the below questionnaire as a guide and checklist for when you are contacted by our team member. This will better assist us to guide you and determine the best options for you and your family."

Thank you again for your submission.

Last edited:

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
In early Jan., of this year I decided to surrender my timeshare back to Summer Bay. I understood that several years ago they had a rather seamless process to do that.
My reasons are for age, rising costs, and financial situation. I first e-mailed Exploria with my intentions and never heard back from them. After a week I called customer service and they told me I would have to contact Exploria Evolutions. I contacted them but only received a voice mail which said they would get back with me in 15 days. A week later I received an e-mail stating it would be 30 days before they would get back to me. It has now been 38 days and have not heard a word from them other than getting a call today saying my maintenance fees are late.
My advice to anyone even thinking about purchasing Summer Bay/Exploria--DON'T!!!!!
Just so you know SummerBay/Exporia doesn't offer a free or low cost return. Depending on what you own and how fast they think they can resell it or how bad they want the week they can offer to take it back for $0 or they could require you to pay 2-3 times (or more) of the current MF's for your unit. Many are required to pay $500-$3000 in order to do a deed back.

tamcase

Reaction score
We are in a similar situation with Summer Bay/Exploria. I finally called today and actually spoke with someone. We are on a list and have been waiting for a call for 38 business days as well. I got tired of waiting and couldn't believe that I got a real person. We own in Gatlinburg. I was told today that there is only 1 person doing the surrender program and that she will be the one to call with all the financials and that it will cost anywhere from 350.00-2195.00 plus 2019 HOA's that we owe. Our initial contact with them was Feb 25. We are supposed to hear from Michelle and that it could be 30 days or longer. Have you ever heard back from them? What has your experience been?

terden

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are in a similar situation with Summer Bay/Exploria. I finally called today and actually spoke with someone. We are on a list and have been waiting for a call for 38 business days as well. I got tired of waiting and couldn't believe that I got a real person. We own in Gatlinburg. I was told today that there is only 1 person doing the surrender program and that she will be the one to call with all the financials and that it will cost anywhere from 350.00-2195.00 plus 2019 HOA's that we owe. Our initial contact with them was Feb 25. We are supposed to hear from Michelle and that it could be 30 days or longer. Have you ever heard back from them? What has your experience been?
I also waited several weeks. I finally picked up the phone and was able to talk with Michelle. I had already paid our maintenance fee this year. She quickly looked up my account and said I could deed back for $350, essentially closing costs. I accepted it took about a month to process, but we got a letter from Exploria a week ago confirming that we were no longer owners. While doing the process, I checked both Michelle’s mailing address and that ofthe attorney who processed the transfer. Both offices are physically in the Summer Bay office building next to the resort. I am confident that this was a real process and have been very pleased.

tamcase

Reaction score
Thank you. We just completed our transaction and have received the letter that states we are no longer owners. Happy to have this behind us after 15 years of being owners. We are currently staying in Gatlinburg on a trade that we had remaining with II. We will return one more time in November for our paid week and our anniversary. It's a bittersweet feeling, but the maintenance fees have gotten way too high. We had a lot of wonderful vacations here. We are happy and relieved that it was just the 350.00 to get out from under it!

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Glad you are out of Summer Bay. We had a timeshare there for a short period of time, wound up giving it away. Was our son who bought ,we took over then gave it away.
Silentg

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I also waited several weeks. I finally picked up the phone and was able to talk with Michelle. I had already paid our maintenance fee this year. She quickly looked up my account and said I could deed back for $350, essentially closing costs. I accepted it took about a month to process, but we got a letter from Exploria a week ago confirming that we were no longer owners. While doing the process, I checked both Michelle’s mailing address and that ofthe attorney who processed the transfer. Both offices are physically in the Summer Bay office building next to the resort. I am confident that this was a real process and have been very pleased.
Do you have Michelle's email? I am trying to help someone who is looking to get out but is being told they have no exit program for any reason.

tamcase

Reaction score
Do you have Michelle's email? I am trying to help someone who is looking to get out but is being told they have no exit program for any reason.

In the long run we ended up dealing with Ferral Luman. Her email address is fluman@exploriaresorts.com
She is an inventory recovery clerk.
The number I have for her is
(352)432-2323 ext 6653
Hope this helps.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks I will pass that along.