• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Suite Night Awards

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
i am going to request upgrades using SNAs for the first time and have some questions.
There are two hotels (JW and Westin) in the location of interest and I plan to make reservations for both. Since confirmation will be sent five days prior and reservation can be canceled one day before arrival, I should be able to cancel one that is not upgraded, right? In case both receive upgrades and I cancel one reservation with SNAs already attached, will the SNAs be returned to my account?

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
i am going to request upgrades using SNAs for the first time and have some questions.
There are two hotels (JW and Westin) in the location of interest and I plan to make reservations for both. Since confirmation will be sent five days prior and reservation can be canceled one day before arrival, I should be able to cancel one that is not upgraded, right? In case both receive upgrades and I cancel one reservation with SNAs already attached, will the SNAs be returned to my account?

Yes, it will be returned to your account.
If not sure in your case, call and confirm, but........
I just changed a reservation yesterday to add an additional night to an upcoming reservation, therefore requesting
another Suite Night Award (SNA), and asked that very question, and the representative said when a reservation is cancelled
the SNA is definitely returned to you. Just like the case in which a Rewards Points Stay is cancelled and those points are returned to your account.

By the way, Lisa, probably not applicable to you in this case, but always check to see if the hotel you chose has rooms or suites
that are indeed worthy of an upgrade, as many hotels don't have suites at all, or either have rooms so similar that an actual
upgrade would not even be noticed. In other words, don't waste it.

Last edited:

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Thank you! I did check and both hotels have executive suites available for the duration :banana:

Reactions: jme

GetawaysRus

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Desert Springs Villas 2
Marriott Grand Chateau
Not sure exactly how important this is, but I dig through the hotel info on the Marriott website to find the # of suites compared to the total # of rooms. I think that the higher the % of suites, the greater the chance of a successful upgrade.

mjkkb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
My last reservation using suite awards had language stating that once confirmed, the suite awards forfeit if the reservation is canceled.
Maybe it varies depending on brands.....

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
My last reservation using suite awards had language stating that once confirmed, the suite awards forfeit if the reservation is canceled.
Maybe it varies depending on brands.....

I'd love to see that language since that is incorrect and there is no difference in brand. Per the Bonvoy T&C:

4.3.c.iv.A.11(d) - Once Suite Night Awards have been confirmed, the Member must cancel the entire reservation to receive credit back for all Suite Night Awards. Cancellation of a confirmed Suite Night Award reservation after 2 p.m. local time of the Participating Property one (1) day prior to arrival will result in the forfeiture of all Suite Night Awards applied to the entire reservation.

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Ocean Platinum, 2 x Grand Chateau 3 Bedroom (annual, EOY Odd)
I had an SNA pending at a Marriott and the nights were not confirmed at the 5 night marker. The next day I got an email.

Please note that our suites sell out very quickly and this offer is based on availability

1 bedroom presidential resort view suite – one king bed, living room, kitchen, dining room and balcony overlooking the resort - $150 per night upgrade, plus 12.5% tax

1 bedroom presidential water view suite – one king bed, living room, kitchen, dining room and balcony overlooking the Gulf of Mexico - $250 per night upgrade, plus 12.5% tax

Thinking I might have done something wrong I looked at the reservation and realized the only suite upgrade option offered was for a 2 bedroom suite. Curious I called reservations and the hotel has 1,2 and 3 bedroom suites but only made the 2 bedroom available for upgrade. 2 days before checkin they still have 1 and 3 bedrooms available on their website. Will see what happens at checkin.

I had an SNA request for the Marriott at 48th and Lex in NYC that was pending within 5 days even though website reservations had a 1 bedroom available and that was what my request was for.

Currently I am in the JW in Nashville in a 1 bedroom upgrade using SNA on a 187 room rate using my Corp discount. My batting average is 250 using SNA. Being lifetime Platnium with no option for lifetime Titanium, the SNA is a nice benefit but won’t drive unnatural behavior to get to 50 or 75 nights for it.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I requested suite night awards twice so far and have not gotten them.

mjkkb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'd love to see that language since that is incorrect and there is no difference in brand. Per the Bonvoy T&C:

I am 99% sure that's what it said. I don't have any reservations
currently
with suite awards requested to compare...I am going by memory so I may be wrong.
The brand difference comment was just my speculation, which turns out was inaccurate.

ArubaEileen

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think the 5 night suite upgrade is a joke. I had a 5 night stay reserved at the Aruba Renaissance Marina and tried using the suite upgrade. (There were plenty of suites available for purchase on the Marriott website). I was told that they were not honoring the upgrade certificate, but could use it to upgrade to an ocean view room. (We had the lowest category room booked). So, we used the upgrade to get a room that we would typically be upgraded to since my husband is Lifetime Titanium Elite.

jeepie

TUG Member
Reaction score
I’m 0 for 1 this year, and we’ll see about my June request. They were still selling (Jr.) Suites for my full 5 night stay, all the way up until my arrival, and even a couple of days into the stay for the remaining days. So, I at least hoped for a Titanium upgrade. Was given a nice corner room, but not to a junior suite. Oh well.
Btw, there is a good discussion (and note the first point in the wiki) on FlyerTalk:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mar...award-general-discussion-question-thread.html

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Ocean Platinum, 2 x Grand Chateau 3 Bedroom (annual, EOY Odd)
I had an SNA pending at a Marriott and the nights were not confirmed at the 5 night marker. The next day I got an email.

Please note that our suites sell out very quickly and this offer is based on availability

1 bedroom presidential resort view suite – one king bed, living room, kitchen, dining room and balcony overlooking the resort - $150 per night upgrade, plus 12.5% tax

1 bedroom presidential water view suite – one king bed, living room, kitchen, dining room and balcony overlooking the Gulf of Mexico - $250 per night upgrade, plus 12.5% tax

Thinking I might have done something wrong I looked at the reservation and realized the only suite upgrade option offered was for a 2 bedroom suite. Curious I called reservations and the hotel has 1,2 and 3 bedroom suites but only made the 2 bedroom available for upgrade. 2 days before checkin they still have 1 and 3 bedrooms available on their website. Will see what happens at checkin.

I replied to the email above stating that a 2 bedroom would be wasteful for my SNA and would prefer a 1 bedroom if one is available.

Day before checkin I got the following email replay.

Thank you for your reply and thank you for your loyalty! Unfortunately on our property only the 2 bedroom suites qualify for the Suite Night Awards. The one bedroom suites are privately owned and do not qualify. Even if your request is denied by Marriott due to the 2 bedrooms being sold out, we will complimentary upgrade you to the one bedroom suite if it’s available on your arrival day.

Regards,

So I checked in yesterday at the Key West Marriott Beachside with little expectation since the SNAs were returned into my account the night before. At checkin, the 3 bedroom was reserved for me. Appreciated but wasteful for just my wife and I, I asked if it could be changed to a 1 bedroom. The only options available were my original standard room reservation or the 3 bedroom. Wasteful it be.

Interesting comment by the hotel reservation manager that the 1 bedrooms are privately owned. I have no clue what this means.

Last edited:

mpizza

TUG Member
Reaction score
For what it’s worth, SNAs were honored at the SIna Villa Medici in Florence. Beautiful 2 room, 2 bath room.

Maria

DJensen

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I recently returned from JW Marriott - San Jose del Cabo. Not only used a 5 Night voucher, but also added the SNA. Beautiful resort and we were upgraded to an ocean front - guessing we were originally place in an ocean view. It was delightful to have the balcony on the ocean front and hear the CRASHING waves! The room itself was nice, 2 queen with super big bathroom area - not a suite, but for as little time in the room it was more than we needed.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
SNAs have not been honored in Spain. I was rejected by Hotel Alfonso XIII in Seville and at St Regis Mallorca. The rejections were emailed to me well before the deadline. Those are the only two places where I have requested SNAs. So now I have 6 out of 10 SNAs redeposited. They will be useless since they expire this year. It is a useless benefit. Other than earning hotel points, Marriott Bonvoy is full of hot air.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
This year we will have 74 nights and since we do not have hotel stays which suite nights can apply to for next year we will not squeeze in 1 more night for this year.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
SNAs have not been honored in Spain. I was rejected by Hotel Alfonso XIII in Seville and at St Regis Mallorca. The rejections were emailed to me well before the deadline. Those are the only two places where I have requested SNAs. So now I have 6 out of 10 SNAs redeposited. They will be useless since they expire this year. It is a useless benefit.

I used two of them this past October in Rome, Italy @ Palazzo Naiadi......two rooms for 3 nights each....great upgrade.

The SNAs are only helpful obviously if you travel frequently to hotels that have upgradable rooms and there is availability.
It's the same for any hotel upgrade, whether routine status upgrade or the new Suite Night Upgrades....but if it is available,
it's nicer than a routine upgrade and carries more weight, I assure you.

If a very fine hotel is usually at 100% capacity, it won't happen, but that's just how it works.

I'll be using two in Boston this coming Fall, too. I get 10 per year, and probably can't use them all, but I'd rather have them and try.
The other awards to me are rather worthless.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I got a suite upgrade without a SNA in Madrid (due to Titanium status) but no suite upgrades where I requested SNAs. However, I did get a regular room upgrade even though SNA was denied. I will be in Edinburgh next week but not bothering with SNAs. I have some SNAs requested for BVI and Costa Rica. Let's see if I get those.

Last edited:

tomvc

TUG Member
Reaction score
This year we will have 74 nights and since we do not have hotel stays which suite nights can apply to for next year we will not squeeze in 1 more night for this year.

You can elect 5 Elite nights credit when you reach 50 nights. This will push your total to 79 to achieve Titanium status and to qualify for another bonus award.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
But Titanium thru MVC status alone doesn’t earn the 50 or 75 night SNA’s or other choices. Cheers.
I will be at 74 nights this year. But since I have no plans to stay at a hotel where suite nights can be applied for next year, I am not going to stress over staying for 1 more night.

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I will be at 74 nights this year. But since I have no plans to stay at a hotel where suite nights can be applied for next year, I am not going to stress over staying for 1 more night.
We used our 50 night bonus award for 5 SNAs, although we are unlikely to be able to use them all, but we used our 75 night bonus award for a free night so the benefits can be useful.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I wonder if I did not get the suite night award upgrade in some hotels because I was staying on points. I was upgraded to a suite in the hotel I paid for but did not use a SNA.

jtp1947

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Marriott, Boston Custom House
We just had a five night stay on points in Dublin, Ireland. Since it was a point reservation the smallest room was our only option. I requested a 1 bedroom Heritage suite overlooking St. Stephens's Green using 5 SNA's. My request came through and the room was beautiful and spacious. Regular price for that room starts at 1350 Euros a night. Shelbourne Renaissance hotel, cat7.