• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Suggestions for September Hawaii honeymoon

thetimeshareguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
My fiancée Vanessa and I plan to honeymoon for two weeks in September and Hawaii is currently at the top of our list of possible destinations. At this point we're looking for advice on which island is likely best to meet our needs, after which we'll drill down into where exactly to stay. We're not necessarily planning to stay in a timeshare resort.

We want exposure to beautiful nature and don't care to be an an overly urban area of high rises like Waikiki. That being said, we're very social so want to be somewhere lively with bars and clubs for socializing and dancing, etc. Would love to snorkel too, at least once, and do a few excursions. I am 57 and she is 46, and we're both fit and very young at heart.

What island do you think is best for us? And what area would you be inclined to stay on that island? Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
I would suggest Maui in the Ka’anapali area. Lively bars would probably rule out the Big Island or Kauai not unless being done by 9 or 10pm is alright.

Last edited:

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista (x2)
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
I second Maui in Ka'anapali or Wailea. Both locations have quite a number of upscale hotels/timeshares, but it doesn't have the urban feel that Waikiki on Oahu does. These locations have high quality resorts, fantastic beaches, great views, walking paths along the beach, and also are within walking distance to many restaurants, bars, etc. Snorkeling right off the beach in both locations. Black Rock at Ka'anapali is a very nice and simple snorkeling location for most ages.

Kauai would have the quietest and best natural lush beauty. However, it has very limited social scene, dancing, etc. To showcase that. We got married and spent a week on Kauai, then spent a second week on Maui directly after. Both were part of our honeymoon. The evening before the wedding in Kauai, we had a hard time finding a bar open late enough for the guys. This was quite a few years ago, so it could have changed since then. But, it gives you a feel for the quietness of Kauai.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
No you probably still wouldn't fine a bar open late enough.:)

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
As all have noted, Maui is the perfect island for your "requirements" (cheers!) I'd go with Kaanapali as well as you can branch out, but also walk to lots of fun restaurants.

cgeidl

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
For two weeks my advice would be to go to Oahu and but to stay away from Honolulu except for big late date nights. There is really no great snorkeling on the Hawaiian Islands but there is a bit okay on each island. Staying at Koalina or Aulani would put you in a gorgeous resort area outside the urban scene with some activity and yet be close enough for a few dance and dinner nights with lots of choice. Kannapali would be my second choice.

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Ko Olina and Aulani will remind you of Waikiki -- lots of tall buildings and lots of people.

I agree with the comments above: Maui nō ka ʻoi (Maui is the best).

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
If nightlife and entertainment are high on the list, Maui will give you the best options. If you don't like a Waikiki high-rise experience, there are low-rise experiences on Maui, even though it will still be crowded. You just have to decide where you want to spend your time.

As for the lush nature, be advised September on Maui is just about the driest time of year. We were there in September a few years ago, and did the Road to Hana. We did not see one waterfall. None. It was surprising. There was a lot of greenspace, but no waterfalls. It still amazes me. :)

Congratulations on your upcoming marriage. I wish you much happiness in the years to come.

Dave

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
If you are going for 2 weeks and have never been to Hawaii I would suggest 5 days in Honolulu and then Kauai or Maui. If you really like nature Kauai is better.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
I can’t recall much late night life on any island other than Waikiki, but then I’m a morning person, up at the crack of dawn for a long walk. Kaanapali was a long row of resorts and golf course to my recollection, Lahaina has the old main st bar scene but then you have to drive back to your resort.

If you want to party and dance the night away consider the island cruises, ships always have late night bars and music and its an easy crawl back to your room.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
My fiancée Vanessa and I plan to honeymoon for two weeks in September and Hawaii is currently at the top of our list of possible destinations. At this point we're looking for advice on which island is likely best to meet our needs, after which we'll drill down into where exactly to stay. We're not necessarily planning to stay in a timeshare resort.

We want exposure to beautiful nature and don't care to be an an overly urban area of high rises like Waikiki. That being said, we're very social so want to be somewhere lively with bars and clubs for socializing and dancing, etc. Would love to snorkel too, at least once, and do a few excursions. I am 57 and she is 46, and we're both fit and very young at heart.

What island do you think is best for us? And what area would you be inclined to stay on that island? Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
I'd do 2 islands, a week each, either Oahu or Kauai plus Maui if either of you haven't done the HI thing before. Kaanapali will be perfect for your stated goals but there are other good choices there. You might still consider Waikiki for Oahu for part of the time but I'd do Ko Olina in this situation personally for Oahu. You might also consider Aruba in the High rise section. A different type of nature but still interesting with a lot of what you want otherwise.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
If you are going for 2 weeks and have never been to Hawaii I would suggest 5 days in Honolulu and then Kauai or Maui. If you really like nature Kauai is better.
I missed the 2 weeks part when I posted previously. I personally really don't like Waikiki (it's like San Francisco with sand) but there are great sites on Oahu that should not be missed, especially if you have 2 weeks.

My revised advice would be to spend a week at Ko Olina exploring must see things: a part day in Waikiki, a full day at Peal Harbor, North Shore, etc. Then continue the slow down to "Hawaii time", and transition to Maui and Kaanapali.

Hawaii is like having kids, no one can really explain it to you, you have to go through the experience yourself to understand.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Remember, if you do two islands, you will lose a days vacation. Packing , checking out, dropping off rental car, flying, getting rental car, checking in and unpacking.

Last edited:

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Here's a vote for the Kona/Waikoloa side of the Big Island. My personal favorite is Kauai, but I think Waikoloa checks a lot of your boxes: no big urban scene, no highrises, a nice nightlife scene at some of the big hotels there, including the Hilton, good snorkeling and body-boarding nearby, and lots of available excursions including the chance to head up to Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa as well as take the helicopter or boat tour of the lava flows at Volcanoes National Park. Waikoloa is not as crowded as Ka'anapali can be (and usually is).

DaveNW mentioned how dry it is on Maui in September. This will also be the case at Waikoloa. But the upside of that is that you're very likely to get a ton of sunny weather--perfect for your excursions and outings.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Here's a vote for the Kona/Waikoloa side of the Big Island. My personal favorite is Kauai, but I think Waikoloa checks a lot of your boxes: no big urban scene, no highrises, a nice nightlife scene at some of the big hotels there, including the Hilton, good snorkeling and body-boarding nearby, and lots of available excursions including the chance to head up to Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa as well as take the helicopter or boat tour of the lava flows at Volcanoes National Park. Waikoloa is not as crowded as Ka'anapali can be (and usually is).

DaveNW mentioned how dry it is on Maui in September. This will also be the case at Waikoloa. But the upside of that is that you're very likely to get a ton of sunny weather--perfect for your excursions and outings.

I agree. I hadn't considered the Big Island for nightlife, but I guess if you count hotels, it works. Newlyweds should be more into each other than the crowd around them anyway, right? The rest of the options will be there, and probably more easily accessed, too.

Dave

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates

There are only two big hotels in Waikoloa, Hilton and Marriott. Besides the restaurants I'm not sure what kind of night life you'd find there.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Big Island, but I wouldn't go there for night life. But then again, we don't go to Hawaii for the night life anyway.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Kauai (my fav- laid back- lots of nature. Awesome snorkeling. We like the Poipu side where it is drier- less rain) and The Big Island- Hawaii Volcanoes National Park and Mauna Kea and Hapuna Beach.

Maui also has a National Park. Beautiful Island also. We liked it there as well, but I heard it is a bit changed now since we were there. More touristy. But you might like that.

BUT- if you want a lot of night life- then Oahu- Honolulu- would be your kind of place. I personally don't like cities, but Oahu has a little of everything for you- the night life, shopping, nature as you drive around the island.

Just not my idea of Hawaii. We went to all the islands on our 2 week Honeymoon- throwing in San Francisco on the way there and Las Vegas on the way back to NY.

Second trip we chose Kauai and The Big Island for 21 days. Best trip ever.

Last edited:

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
There are only two big hotels in Waikoloa, Hilton and Marriott. Besides the restaurants I'm not sure what kind of night life you'd find there.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Big Island, but I wouldn't go there for night life. But then again, we don't go to Hawaii for the night life anyway.

We are at the Waikoloa Marriott right now. There is zero night life here. Even the restaurants are abandoned by 9:00pm.

(But it's a wonderful place and we will come back.)

Jayco29D

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott, Vistana

If you can stretch the budget a little, I would suggest going to French Polynesia (the islands of Tahiti). The price per night for beach bungalows and overwater bungalows in nice resorts like Le Tahaa, Le Meridian Bora Bora and the Intercontinental hotels in Moorea and Bore Bora is about equivalent to Hawaii. However if you are staying in timeshares in Hawaii, that would be more affordable. We have also done the Windstar cruise of French Polynesia (Tahiti). That can be a more affordable way to see all the islands too. That cruise is amazing because they spend so much time at the islands and you can see islands that would be hard to see by air. If it were me, I would spend one week in Hawaii and one week in French Polynesia for my honeymoon. In terms of nightlife, there is some nightlife in Tahiti, Moorea and Bora Bora. Le Tahaa is very serene - no nightlife there. The cruise is very lively for nightlife and socializing. It is a beautiful sailing ship that carries a little over 100 guests. Perhaps one week on Oahu for nightlife and one week in French Polynesia for relaxing and light socializing. I like the Ko Olina part of Oahu because it feels relaxed and Hawaiian yet the drive to Waikiki is not the far. I agree with others that there is minimal nightlife on Kauai, Maui and Big Island but they are all wonderful places to visit. September is one of my favorite times to go to Hawaii. It is off season since school is in and the water is still warm enough for swimming.

Last edited:

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I went YEARS ago to Oahu and the biggest part of that stay was the day trip to the Big Island to watch the lawa flowing into the ocean.
I went more recently to Kauai and enjoyed the laid back favor of being across the street from the Beach House restrauant for the sundown (sun setting into the ocean with a cool drink and lite appetitizers ... dinner was great but $$$).

If I was going for 14 days now, I would do at least 2 islands for timeshare stays. If staying in hotels for part of that stay, I would do 3 islands. You would be busy ... but you have a lot of real estate to explore after travelling a long distance.

If you think the wedding will do either of you in with planning, staging and HOSTING the relatives & friends, I would START my stay on Kauai ... to just chill for a week. Then 3 days on the Big Island (Hawaii) driving around the island and finish up my stay on Oahu with 4 days (day tours without renting a car).

Yes, travelling and staying on 3 islands with inter-island flights does take time but these are short island hoppers and smallish islands. Pack lite and relax ... you can always come back every 5 years for your (future) anniversities.

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
I can remember one time way before kids chasing down leads to places to dance on the big island but never found a place. If you’re really into clubs and love to dance your best bet is Waikiki. There was one good dance club in Lahaina on Maui. But my information is old.

Here’s a good tip though. Find a young looking bellman. Ask for good places to go dancing “if that’s what you’re looking for.” And of course give him a good tip. That always worked for us. Don’t bother asking the concierge.

We use to party in Waikiki the first part of our vacation and then relax on Maui or the big island for the second half of our vacation.

Last edited:

daventrina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HVC (Diamond) Platinum HI/US HGV Max
I can remember one time way before kids chasing down leads to places to dance on the big island but never found a place. If you’re really into clubs and love to dance your best bet is Waikiki. There was one good dance club in Lahaina on Maui. But my information is old.

Here’s a good tip though. Find a young looking bellman. Ask for good places to go dancing “if that’s what you’re looking for.” And of course give him a good tip. That always worked for us. Don’t bother asking the concierge.

We use to party in Waikiki the first part of our vacation and then relax on Maui or the big island for the second half of our vacation.
There is at least Huggos and probably Laverns ... so there are two on the BI...

Greatdeal

TUG Member
Reaction score
It sounds like you are more Kauai people. Maui is definitely becoming another Oahu