• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Suggestions for gift for timeshare employee

Carolyn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St John
WJL St Lucia
St James Club Antigua
Charter Club Marco
Sheraton Desert Oasis
There is a particular employee at a timeshare we own in the Caribbean who has gone out of their way to accomodate us in the past. We are heading back there in a few weeks and I would like to bring her a nice gift in the $25-$35 range. This would be for a 40 year old female....any ideas? Thanks!

Carolyn

rsnash

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Since it is Caribbean, I'll assume non-US and therefore customs may be an issue with foodstuffs or plants. So, keep that in mind. That said, a local (to you) food item that your home area specializes in would be an interesting thing for her to receive, or, if you are so inclined, home baked cookies in a nice box or tin. A bottle of wine. Fancy bath products. Hmm, actually this is a perfect fancy soap gift occasion. Or stationary.

susieq

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bay Voyage, Jamestown, RI
Whatever you bring her, it would be nice if it had the name of your area, or State on it. It would serve as a reminder to her as to who gave it to her. Maybe even a small travel guide to show some of what this country has to offer ~ and of course sign it.

Sue

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I don't know if the person is a front desk employee, a maid, a houseman, the pool attendant or what. I also don't know if English is their first language or not, and what their living standard might be. All of this would factor in for me.

If they live in a lower standard for their country, for example a maid or houseman, then something practical is the best gift you could give them...a gift card for a supermarket, Walmart (if it exists...they can get clothes there or shoes as well as food), that sort of thing.

If English is *not* their first language, but they speak English fairly well and are a front desk-type employee, I might bring them some books to help them with their language skills. Maybe one "study book" and some sort of a coffee table book about the United States or the area I am from.

I have a girlfriend who went to Mazatlán at Thanksgiving for many years. Believe it or not, she brought her maid a frozen turkey one year. They weren't readily available there, and she figured that it would feed the maid's family for quite a few days!

I always save all my "lifestyle" magazines for the front desk people. You know, People, Us Magazine, OK, Family Circle, magazines like that with a lot of pictures. They get passed from hand to hand to everybody who has good English comprehension skills (and even some who don't, cause there are many pictures). For friends who are Ex-pats, I bring travel magazines. They like those, and Reader's Digest best because they never get old (and there are a lot of "dream" pictures).

Hope this helps you. Its about all I can come up with unless I have a better idea of what sort of person you are purchasing for.

Fern

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at my desk, and I just had some more ideas. If it is a woman, front-desk type, how about some stationary store items? I have a real snazzy Post-It set, it is in an acrylic holder, and the notes are hot colors. I bet that would be useful, even at home, and is probably something she doesn't have. You can probably find many things along those lines in a stationary store.

Fern

Carolyn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St John
WJL St Lucia
St James Club Antigua
Charter Club Marco
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Thanks for the suggestions. This is an English speaking area and it is someone who handles all the reservations. We rented our timeshare to a honeymoon couple (who we knew and went to their wedding) and I was so nervous about what unit they would get but this person "upgraded" them to one of the best! I had e-mailed her several times about how much I wanted their honeymoon to be really special. I just wanted to bring a token of our appreciation. What do you think about Godiva chocolates?

Carolyn

Lawlar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Cuffs

If it is for a sales rep, how about a pair of handcuffs (sorry, I couldn't resist).

I think gift certificates are a great way to go. Maybe an online certificate for Amazon.com.

brother coony

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a timeshare in the Carribean also and always bring the girls at the front a gift, and I also ask what they would like for me to bring, and the three most poplor items are, mp3 player, designer jeans, or nice box of chocolate,
mp3 player $29.00 jeans on sale $30.00, chocolate $25.00,
these are what they request most,with mp3 player #1 request

When I get to my room there is always nice fresh flowers, bottle of rum ect. I get back more than I spend, even when I rent my unit out I request my renter hold back $50.00 and ask him/or her to buy a gift and give to the girls at the front desk/ they always rave over the service they get

wackymother

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
What do you think about Godiva chocolates?

Carolyn

They get very very melty in the heat! We just brought our DD some chocolate truffles and forgot about them, and they quickly became one giant melted truffle.

If you bring chocolates, you would need to pack them in a cooler with ice packs and probably take them as carry-on. They would be kind of a pain to bring, basically.

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
How about one of the gift baskets from Starbucks? Coffee or tea would be easy to transport, and they make some beautiful sets with mugs and things.

Carolyn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St John
WJL St Lucia
St James Club Antigua
Charter Club Marco
Sheraton Desert Oasis
How about one of the gift baskets from Starbucks? Coffee or tea would be easy to transport, and they make some beautiful sets with mugs and things.

With all the luggage restrictions, smaller would be better! :)

Carolyn

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
Okay, the mp3 player sounds good to me, then.

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
If they dress professionally, how about a really nice scarf, or perhaps some crystal earrings?

Fern

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
If they dress professionally, how about a really nice scarf, or perhaps some crystal earrings?

Fern

I like that idea. I don't like the gift card/certificates; it's basically money which makes it more like a tip, and less personal.

Carolyn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St John
WJL St Lucia
St James Club Antigua
Charter Club Marco
Sheraton Desert Oasis

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I don't think getting someone an MP3 player faces the reality of the standard of living of most of the people who work in timeshares in that part of the world. Even the English speaking ones. Is it likely that this person has a computer in their home? And access to music to load on an MP3 player? Going to an internet café, paying for the online time and purchasing a dozen Itunes could feed her family for several days minimum.

I don't mean to be a meanie on this, and I'm definitely not an Ugly American. But I am a realist.

JMHO, of course. But something to think about.

Fern

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a timeshare in the Carribean also and always bring the girls at the front a gift, and I also ask what they would like for me to bring, and the three most poplor items are, mp3 player, designer jeans, or nice box of chocolate,
mp3 player $29.00 jeans on sale $30.00, chocolate $25.00,
these are what they request most,with mp3 player #1 request

Brother Coony recommends them and says the front-desk clerks ask for them and appreciate them as gifts. Sounds like using them in the Caribbean is no problem.