• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Suggestion to help shorten cough and congestions

Miss Marty

TUG Member
Reaction score

It seems like every winter I catch something..

During the past couple of office visits
for a bad cough, cold, upper respiratory
They placed my fingertip in a small device
to check my oxygen level. They said the
reading was normal.

Anyone use a Fingertip Pulse Oximeters
Which brand and model do you like best?

Now if only they could do something to really
help get rid of this (viral) cough/congestion.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
One thing I can tell you is I use a Netti Pot once a month with kosher salt and water and run the water through my nose. I take a multi vitamin. I exercise every day and wash my hands a lot throughout the day during work (I work in the medical field). I try to eat healthy at least most days. Try to keep my immune system up.

Last edited:

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have this brand of oximeter. It cost less than $20 on Amazon, and works fine:

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MYR0T30?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

Sometimes, coughing irritates the lungs, causing the coughing to become chronic. I have had this happen to me numerous times. I find when this happens, prescription drugs are needed to stop the cough. Sometimes the docs give me Cheratussin (which contains a low dose of codeine) and sometimes they give me benzonatate, which is non-narcotic.

I think our society tends to blame people who are ill. Giving people lifestyle advice assumes that they must be doing something wrong. A lot of times, taking care of oneself is not enough to prevent or cure illness.

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
If you aren't diabetic buy some honey and let a spoonful slowly slide down your throat every few hours. That will calm a cough.

For sinus congestion buy a chunk of ginger (in the produce section of larger grocery stores). Cut the skin off about a 1 inch chunk off an end exposing the flesh. Using a fine grater grate off between a teaspoon & tablespoonful into a mug. Pour boiling water over it and stir. You can add a spoonful of honey if desired. Let stand until cool enough to drink.

Since neither contain any drugs you can repeat as often as desired.

~Diane

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
If I feel something coming on, I start taking Airborne. So far it has worked well. We buy it in 36 tablet packs at Costco. DW uses a Neti Pot regularly and I am sure that helps her as well.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Mary Ann - buy some Buckley's original when you visit Quebec

One thing I can tell you is I use a Netti Pot once a month with kosher salt and water and run the water through my nose. I take a multi vitamin. I exercise every day and wash my hand a lot throughout the day during work (I work in the medical field). I try to eat healthy at least most days. Try to keep my immune system up.

Buckley' is made / sold in Canada . Worst tasting stuff I have ever tried and they
use that as part of their ads. IT WORKS - for me , in part because it the taste shocks and jump starts your system .
I did not grow up on it as I grew up in New York State , but I swear by it now .
Available over the counter.

( taste to me is a bit like that back rub stuff combined with mothballs & menthol)
but I will let other Canadians chime in on what they think it tastes like )

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I avoid sick people .. you cough or sneeze or wipe your nose ... I flee. I wash my hands before eating and avoid crowds, malls and strangers.

Plus, I tend to keep my house around 50-52 degrees ALL the time in the winter.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Or do sick people avoid you - because your house is so cold. ( kidding you Linda )

I avoid sick people .. you cough or sneeze or wipe your nose ... I flee. I wash my hands before eating and avoid crowds, malls and strangers.

We keep our house 62-64 F( downstairs daytime -cooler upstairs for sleeping) and people think our house is cold . We layer - undershirt , turtleneck & sweater or sweatshirt .
Too warm - dries out your sinuses and personally I think that can make you more likely to catch a virus .

Linda - are you sure your not using that " burner" cell phone to keep warm .

Kidding

Last edited:

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
We keep our house 62-64 F( downstairs daytime -cooler upstairs for sleeping) and people think our house is cold . We layer - undershirt , turtleneck & sweater or sweatshirt .
Too warm - dries out your sinuses and personally I think that can make you more likely to catch a virus .

Kidding

We do the same. Although we do have the woodstove going on the north end of the house bringing the temp up to around 65-68 in that area.

But when we sleep- 60 or below with nice warm jammies and comforter.

I also work outside- sort-of. I am in and out of my car all day- getting fresh air and most days- sunshine- in all temps.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
If I feel something coming on, I start taking Airborne. So far it has worked well. We buy it in 36 tablet packs at Costco. DW uses a Neti Pot regularly and I am sure that helps her as well.

Yes- or any zinc tablets.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Buckley' is made / sold in Canada . Worst tasting stuff I have ever tried and they
use that as part of their ads. IT WORKS - for me , in part because it the taste shocks and jump starts your system .
I did not grow up on it as I grew up in New York State , but I swear by it now .
Available over the counter.

( taste to me is a bit like that back rub stuff combined with mothballs & menthol)
but I will let other Canadians chime in on what they think it tastes like )

Interesting. I generally don't need this kind of stuff,as I rarely get a cold, but I'll check it out.

Miss Marty

TUG Member
Reaction score
Smart Phone App

Downloaded I Care Health Oxygen Monitor from Google Play
You place one finger on the camera and one on the screen
and it gives you your oxygen reading and blood pressure...

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score

You sound liked my spouse. She kept our home between 60 - 64 degrees at night and never above 71 degrees during the day.

vacationhopeful

TUG Member
Reaction score

Kidding

You sound liked my spouse. She kept our home between 60 - 64 degrees at night and never above 71 degrees during the day.

I do some outdoor work but I am in and out of Home Depot/Lowes multiple times per day starting a 6:30AM. I wear layers and ALWAYS a hat. At lunch, it is like stripping down to eat ... 2-3 outer layers and usually at the Chinese buffet which is just opening as we get there (the dining room just then turns the heat on).

Outdoors, it is the wind that chills you ... no wind and the sun with 35 degrees feels fine ... again, if you are wearing good foot wear and a decent knit cap over your ears & forehead. And keep something on your hands and around your neck. Under 30-35 degrees and outside for extended period of time .. start with LONG UNDERWEAR; Under 25 degrees, get insulated outwear from toes to headgear. And really good hand gloves and a wool cap.

Below zero ... stay home. Everything that is frozen, will stay frozen. Besides, many cars and trucks just will not start if the battery and radiator are not kept heated.

In my early 20's, I regularly skied 60+ miles NORTH of Montreal. Shorter lift lines.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Below zero ... stay home. Everything that is frozen, will stay frozen. Besides, many cars and trucks just will not start if the battery and radiator are not kept heated.

I found that to be a funny line. I grew up in northern Minnesota, and if people there took your advice they would never leave their house! :rofl:

Cars work perfectly fine at well below zero; they just need to be maintained properly. Lighter weight oil, properly mixed anti-freeze in the radiator, battery with enough cold cranking amps, etc. It is just a matter of what you are used to -- below zero is nothing to those in the true north. :D

As for houses being kept cold, I can certainly relate to that. I grew up in an old farm house with a wood heater on the first floor. Several nights going to bed on the second floor we could see our breath! Lots of blankets, for sure.

Kurt

Last edited:

vacationhopeful

TUG Member
Reaction score
I found that to be a funny line. I grew up in northern Minnesota, and if people there took your advice they would never leave their house! :rofl:

<snip>

Kurt

Kurt ...

Like I said, I spent time 60+ miles north of Montreal to ski during the winter months (St Jovite). But people in my area where I live now ... would never leave their houses in YOUR weather conditions or north of Montreal in the winter seasons. I just get out the "right" clothes to wear for the weather conditions.

If you want a really good laugh ... travel to South Florida in January and February and watch what the locals wear when the weather gets around 40 degrees - ski jackets, wool hats, mittens (not gloves), wool scarfs with shorts, leggings and knee high boots.

PS Weather today in St Jovite was 12 degree HIGH and -20 LOW. It is -2 right now. All my weather quotes are in F ... not C.

Last edited:

NKN

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Rather than fighting each illness, as it comes, build up your immune system. I worke with an ND doctor and had great luck with an herbal tincture called Astragalus.

Nkn

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
To avoid colds, I like to think that long, hot showers help, kind of like what your body does by running a fever when you get sick. Or it could be because with 6 grandkids, I have a highly developed immune system. I've never been very fussy about germs and I rarely catch what others around me come down with.

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
I have got laughed for this but have heard rubbing Vicks vapor rub on the bottom of your feet then put on socks and go to bed will keep you from coughing at night. Also Pineapple juice is good to stop a cough.
SilentG

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
The best thing I ever used when I had a bad cough was cherry flavored cough syrup with codeine. A couple of shots of this and the cough seems to subside.

I avoid anyone who shows any signs of being sick. Even the kids and grand kids. Unfortunately for me, my wife is the opposite of me regarding the family when they get sick and she is hard for me to avoid. :D

Bill