• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Success with 2017 DC Point Reservations??

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
All,

A separate thread has challenged the reliability and accessibility of inventory using points, and TUGgers have relayed both positive and negative historical experiences. Some of our experiences have been unusual and I hope to assess the performance of the system.

Accordingly, I hope to identify (positive or negative) in making 2017 point reservations and would appreciate if willing TUGgers can document their experience. I am curious if inventory is available to us at times that we would reasonably expect, as per the published rules.

The following template might facilitate the reservation/sighting experience, but please customize as you see fit:

Property: Ritz Carlton St. Thomas

Successful reservation (Yes/No): No
Unit/View: 2BR (Suite)
Desired check-in date: January 7, 2017
Months before check-in: 13 months
Reservation length: 6 or 7 days
Elected Points or Trust Points: Elected Points
Did successful reservation clear via Waitlist: N/A
If yes, how long was Waitlist Request: N/A
General comments: I was surprised there was no availability for this week, nor for the 6 month releases for this Luxury Property (June 11 check-in) as I know the weeks are in the Trust. I started a Waitlist request at 6 months out for the June 4 and June 11 weeks, and will report back.

I hope TUGgers will find this interesting and report their experience with future reservations.

Best,

Greg

Last edited:

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Greg...a few things....

1. I don't think Jan 17, 2017 is even available to be booked yet...is your date above correct.

2. Do you care about listing Villa Size and View Type, as one may be available and another not.

Just trying to hone in on what you are trying to track.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
Greg...a few things....

1. I don't think Jan 17, 2017 is even available to be booked yet...is your date above correct.

2. Do you care about listing Villa Size and View Type, as one may be available and another not.

Just trying to hone in on what you are trying to track.

Todd, thank you -- I corrected the information above -- thanks!

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Greg, I understand what you're trying to do here but with so many details the posts you're asking for could generate responses in the same way that any "wanted" ads do. This thread can either be moved to the Sightings forum, or, the metric can be phased more vaguely as something like, "have you been successful with the 2017 DC intervals you're trying to book?"

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Greg, I understand what you're trying to do here but with so many details the posts you're asking for could generate responses in the same way that any "wanted" ads do. This thread can either be moved to the Sightings forum, or, the metric can be phased more vaguely as something like, "have you been successful with the 2017 DC intervals you're trying to book?"

Okay, I will re-title it, thanks very much!

puckmanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
good afternoon

Summitt Watch first week in Jan 2017 is wide open :):clap::clap::clap:

let the games begin

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Trust Points
All,

Property: Ritz Carlton St. Thomas[/B]

This is a bit off topic, but I find it interesting that according to the Points Charts for the Ritz STT, they have available 2BR, 2BR Suites, 3BR, and each costs a different number of points.... but when searching online, I only see the option to select 2BR or 3BR (no option for 2BR Suites).

All other locations with several odd layouts (Lakeshore, Mayflower) seem to list all options during the selection phase of your ressie search. Wonder how/why they handle Ritz St. Thomas differently. Begs the question if the IT setup of this location is perhaps screwed up spewing out bogus results, or not spewing out anything as the case may be.

Last edited:

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Trust Points
This is a bit off topic, but I find it interesting that according to the Points Charts for the Ritz STT, they have available 2BR, 2BR Suites, 3BR, and each costs a different number of points.... but when searching online, I only see the option to select 2BR or 3BR (no option for 2BR Suites).

All other locations with several odd layouts (Lakeshore, Mayflower) seem to list all options during the selection phase of your ressie search. Wonder how/why they handle Ritz St. Thomas differently. Begs the question if the IT setup of this location is perhaps screwed up spewing out bogus results, or not spewing out anything as the case may be.

Just ran all availability (they make you do a minimum of 3 nights at Ritz STT), from June 2016 through early January 2017 and nothing is available in 3BR and for the 2BR, only 3 days starting 8/11, and the period from 12/3-12/9 are available.....and doing the math, all of those are the 2BR (not Suites). It is interesting for sure.

I wonder if the 3 day minimum is part of the issue??

I also wonder if they are not loading inventory until 12 months, as the week ending 12/9/16 seems way to coincidental that it is exactly 1 year out from today. Hmmmm. The release date for 12/10/16 check in at 12 month window opens this Friday....will be interesting if another week of inventory shows up.

Last edited:

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Property: Ritz Carlton St. Thomas
Successful reservation (Yes/No): Yes
Desired check-in date: January 7, 2017
Months before check-in: 13 months (less 4 days)
Reservation length: 7 days

Elected Points or Trust Points: 3,000 Trust Points, 1,925 Elected Points

General comments: This reservation was not available to me using only Elected Points and I needed Trust Points to book it.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

New reservation report for May 31, 2016

Properties: Ko Olina/Kauai Lagoons/MOC/Grande Ocean

Unit/View: 2BR or 3BR
Desired check-in date: July 1, 2017
Months before check-in: 13 months
Elected Points or Trust Points: Elected Points

General comments:

I continue to see spotty inventory availability 13 months out. Today was supposed to be the first day for points reservations 13 months out (July 1, 2017). I am thinking about a return trip to Ko Olina and wanted a 3BR unit (but may have to "downsize" to a 2BR unit, in Kona or Moana). Nothing available -- 2BR or 3BR -- either online last night or calling in this morning with the atomic clock.

It is very disappointing that exactly 13 months out, there is no availability considering how deep the Trust is in Ko Olina property.

Continuing the inventory mystery, there is also no availability at Maui Ocean Club or Kauai Lagoons. Both properties with good depth in the Trust, and no unit of any size was available. Grande Ocean also had no availability (but it's shallow, so not surprising).

I thought maybe nothing had loaded yet, but Grand Chateau had July 1 reservations available. So something is loading -- just not Hawaii.

This is a frustrating experience, and Marriott really needs to figure out a way to get inventory loaded exactly 13 months out, if they continue to position that 13 month reservations access is an elite-level benefit. Today, it looks worthless -- and arguably the potential ability is a negative because it only frustrates the owner who is following the rules.

I know I will get the reservation one these days because I am persistent but each time I call it will remind me that this approach is substandard.

Best,

Greg

Last edited:

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
I had forgotten about this thread. This is a transaction I did a little over a month ago:

Property: Marriott's Barony Beach Club, Hilton Head, SC
Successful reservation (Yes/No): Yes
Unit/View: 2BR Oceanfront
Desired check-in date: April 9, 2017
Months before check-in: less than 12 months (transaction date April 24, 2016)
Elected Points or Trust Points: 2,400 Trust Points and 1,600 Elected Points
General comments: This is during the Heritage PGA golf week, so it is a relatively high demand week for April. It is also the week of Good Friday/Easter.

Since this thread is for 2017 points reservations, I won't list the details on the 2016 reservations, but just as an FYI, here is the high level results for 2016 reservations:

Marriott's Grand Chateau, Las Vegas; 2BR, four nights check in May 16, 2016. Reserved April 11, 2016 (35 days) (wife's girl's trip).

MVC Pulse at the Mayflower, Washington, DC; Guest Room; two nights check in July 27, 2016. Reserved Feb 23, 2016 (5 months). On May 30, 2016 added a third night. (wife and daughter college visit).

Marriott's Barony Beach Club, Hilton Head; 2 BR Oceanside; three nights check in Sept 2, 2016 for Labor Day weekend. Reserved Feb 3, 2016 (7 months).

Marriott's Maui Ocean Club, Lahaina, HI; 2BR Oceanfront; seven nights check in June 18, 2016; reserved on 12 month release date - June 19, 2015. (Canceled in Feb 2016).

So far, I've had no unsuccessful booking attempts, although I can echo what GregT posted about the 13 month availability. I can only book at the 13 month point with a 20% premium, but when I was shopping with plenty of points in my account prior to the MOC booking mentioned above, the inventory seemed to be almost nonexistent at 13 months, and did not appear until the 12 month release date.

Last edited:

Janette

TUG Member
Reaction score
When I was not allowed to use elected points, I called. There should be no difference. We have four weeks booked at Frenchman's Cove starting Jan 13.

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I've talked at length to multiple vacation advisors and they were very clear that the system doesn't work. You MUST call if you want to get something 13 months out.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I know I will get the reservation one these days because I am persistent but each time I call it will remind me that this approach is substandard.

All,

I did get the desired reservation. While happy for myself, I reiterate my concern that a more predictable (fair?) method be found.

I watched availability online a couple times in the morning. In early afternoon (2pm PT?) some inventory loaded and I was able to book 5 nights (the most available, even though I had more points).

I called Marriott VOA to see if they could see nights 6&7 (answer was No).

I watched periodically and more inventory loaded later in the afternoon.

I called VOA and asked them to check a 7 night reservation (Yes) which I booked and canceled my earlier booked 5 night reservation.

While this worked for me - the fanatic - it would demoralize the normal owner who called 13 months out and was instructed to call back 12 months out. By all rights that person should get the reservation. Maybe it was there for Trust Points (which it should be) but I still find it an odd and unpredictable system. The lesson for the enrolled owner is that inventory loads 13 months less X (pick X) days.

Good luck to all - and please note the value proposition of the 3Br MV at Ko Olina until Tower 4 gets built.

Best,

Greg

Last edited:

answeeney

TUG Member
Reaction score
I continue to see spotty inventory availability 13 months out. Today was supposed to be the first day for points reservations 13 months out (July 1, 2017). I am thinking about a return trip to Ko Olina and wanted a 3BR unit (but may have to "downsize" to a 2BR unit, in Kona or Moana). Nothing available -- 2BR or 3BR -- either online last night or calling in this morning with the atomic clock.

It is very disappointing that exactly 13 months out, there is no availability considering how deep the Trust is in Ko Olina property.

Continuing the inventory mystery, there is also no availability at Maui Ocean Club or Kauai Lagoons. Both properties with good depth in the Trust, and no unit of any size was available. Grande Ocean also had no availability (but it's shallow, so not surprising).

I thought maybe nothing had loaded yet, but Grand Chateau had July 1 reservations available. So something is loading -- just not Hawaii.

This is a frustrating experience, and Marriott really needs to figure out a way to get inventory loaded exactly 13 months out, if they continue to position that 13 month reservations access is an elite-level benefit. Today, it looks worthless -- and arguably the potential ability is a negative because it only frustrates the owner who is following the rules.

Best,

Greg

I share your frustrations about 13 month availabilitity. A week or two ago I phoned member services (Europe) at 9 am EST at the 13 month point to book 3 nights at Lakeshore Reserve and 14 nights at Oceana Palms (both big in the Trust) and was told there was no availabilty. Nothing was available online either. However, I persisted throughout the day and at about 12 noon EST got my Lakeshore Reservation and another 3 hours later snagged the Oceana Palms reservation.

Last year I managed to book 14 nights online at the 13 month point at Mountain Valley Lodge at 10am GMT (i.e. about 4 hours before official inventory release) after being told by member services that there was no availabilty, so it is all very random.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
All,

I did get the desired reservation. While happy for myself, I reiterate my concern that a more predictable (fair?) method be found.

I watched availability online a couple times in the morning. In early afternoon (2pm PT?) some inventory loaded and I was able to book 5 nights (the most available, even though I had more points).

I called Marriott VOA to see if they could see nights 6&7 (answer was No).

I watched periodically and more inventory loaded later in the afternoon.

I called VOA and asked them to check a 7 night reservation (Yes) which I booked and canceled my earlier booked 5 night reservation.

While this worked for me - the fanatic - it would demoralize the normal owner who called 13 months out and was instructed to call back 12 months out. By all rights that person should get the reservation. Maybe it was there for Trust Points (which it should be) but I still find it an odd and unpredictable system. The lesson for the enrolled owner is that inventory loads 13 months less X (pick X) days.

Good luck to all - and please note the value proposition of the 3Br MV at Ko Olina until Tower 4 gets built.

Best,

Greg
And I'll repeat, so long as the salesperson explains all this in the DC point presentation, "It's all good." :hysterical:

GreenTea

TUG Member
Reaction score
I booked Hawaii for 1/17. I saw availability online from 13 months with a point premium though it dwindled as the weeks passed. I called at 12 months and got what I wanted. I actually booked it online initially but got through immediately and the associate walked through a few options and we changed the reservation to her find.

caribbeanqueen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Surf Club
We are new owners since January. I have to tell you we had no clue coming out of our purchase meeting what to do in order to book except to "call a number." We also bought into using Interval timeshares that are available for $164.00
I am now trying to find information on this site to learn so much more about timeshares and how to get the most out of it.. Unfortunately we did not buy resale. If anyone has any suggestions on the best place to read here it would be appreciated greatly. Any tips? I feel so green!
I am trying to book an April vacation week for next year for my family somewhere in the caribbean and no luck. There are hotels on "hold" till October and I do not want to wait till then. Any suggestions? It would have been nice to have a much more in depth tutorial on how this all works!
:(

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
We are new owners since January. I have to tell you we had no clue coming out of our purchase meeting what to do in order to book except to "call a number." We also bought into using Interval timeshares that are available for $164.00
I am now trying to find information on this site to learn so much more about timeshares and how to get the most out of it.. Unfortunately we did not buy resale. If anyone has any suggestions on the best place to read here it would be appreciated greatly. Any tips? I feel so green!
I am trying to book an April vacation week for next year for my family somewhere in the caribbean and no luck. There are hotels on "hold" till October and I do not want to wait till then. Any suggestions? It would have been nice to have a much more in depth tutorial on how this all works!
:(

You need to provide us some more detail. What resort do you own. Your profile indicates you don't own anything yet, but your post implies that you bought something in January. You posted in the Marriott forum in a Destinations Club related thread. Did you buy Marriott Destinations Club Trust points, or do you own something else? Your reference to Internal International may lead some to think you perhaps bought a week somewhere that would trade through II?

April is usually Spring Break, and Spring Break in the Caribbean is peak season. Where are you looking to stay and are you using Interval International to search, or calling Marriott or wherever you might own?

caribbeanqueen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Surf Club
Hi Dioxide,
Thanks for replying. Sorry for the confusion. We stayed at Aruba Surf Club in Aruba and bought our points through that timeshare. I was under the impression with points that you book when and where, if available, for the points you hold, that we do not own necessarily in Aruba or anywhere else. As I said, I am very new to this and am trying to learn as much as possible.

During the timeshare presentation, they tell you for $164.00/yr you can buy into Interval timeshares that are available depending on where and when. I think this is left over inventory and such. It does not make us Interval timeshare owners.
How could I go about finding a 2 bedroom timeshare available for that week in the caribbean? I realize it is a very busy week due to school vacations but because of the grandchildren and my SIL being home I really wanted to try and find something that particular week. We could try for summer but my SIl is usually out then and it is not the time we prefer to go. Very difficult to find time when there are school aged children! I could go on a waiting list but as I said, I am afraid nothing will come available and then I will be out completely for April vacation. Any suggestions? Could I exchange for reward points and is that worth it?