• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Study shows that PCR tests with 35 cycles or more have an accuracy below 3%, meaning up to 97% of positive results could be false positives.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Hey, everybody - did you hear that I got a drive up flu shot yesterday? A fireman gave it to me and he was cute! My arm is just a tiny bit tender today. Today was even better - I got to put together all of the paperwork for a Refi. Then I got to take the freeze off my credit - that was the most fun ever! It was even more fun than this thread!!! Have an awesome night!

Screen Shot 2020-11-22 at 8.00.10 PM.png

Last edited:

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hey, everybody - did you hear that I got a drive up flu shot yesterday? A fireman gave it to me and he was cute! My arm is just a tiny bit tender today. Today was even better - I got to put together all of the paperwork for a Refi. Then I got to take the freeze off my credit - that was the most fun ever! It was even more fun than this thread!!! Have an awesome night!
Have you read the study and the New York Times article and you got bored or you got bored but you did not read them? Maybe if you read them you will be like this:

1606107981577.png

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Guess that explains why hospitalization rates are so high... all the false positives. :rolleyes:
I was struck by this post in another thread comparing daily case count to daily death rate; the graphic I cannot cut and paste.

There is absolutely no correlation between "positive tests rate" and "death rate" which is what really matters. But that is not what the media promotes, and what politicians are acting on. In the mind of the media and governors and citizens who do not know what to think at this point, higher "positive test rates" including a substantial false positive test rate equals death and that is why everyone should just stay home. Clearly a false conclusion. And a conclusion that the "Swedish experiment" proved to be false.

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Guess that explains why hospitalization rates are so high... all the false positives. :rolleyes:
I don't know where you live, but a false positive would never get you into the hospital where I live. At least two people I know have lost their sense of taste and smell, suffered from violent headaches, and had a fever. That is not a false positive, but not enough to merit hospitalizing. You need serious breathing problems to be considered.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't know where you live, but a false positive would never get you into the hospital where I live. At least two people I know have lost their sense of taste and smell, suffered from violent headaches, and had a fever. That is not a false positive, but not enough to merit hospitalizing. You need serious breathing problems to be considered.
But if you are in the hospital and you would have been regardless of Covid and your test positive you are now counted as hospitalized with Covid. False positives do inflate the number of Covid hospitalizations and deaths.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
But if you are in the hospital and you would have been regardless of Covid and your test positive you are now counted as hospitalized with Covid. False positives do inflate the numeber of Covid hospitalizations and deaths.
It's worse than that. In IL, if you go to the hospital you are tested for Covid. IDPH counts "awaiting test results" as "probables" when they report their data.
So our "hospitalizations" in IL include "true positives" and "probables". To even use the language "probable" is questionable.
And the positives include people who are in the hospital for other reasons (scheduled surgery ,etc) and may be asymptomatic but got a positive test.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
Stating the obvious... first, my post was facetious. Second, hospitalization is clinically based, not "test" based. The OP was implying that there's not nearly as much COVID out there was the testing would seem to suggest because the tests are reporting positives that really are not positive. My comment was to suggest that the huge and rapid increase in hospitalization demonstrates in a rather compelling way that there IS a lot of COVID out there, and that buttresses the testing results. What you really need to be hospitalized is low O2 saturation (below about 93%).

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
But if you are in the hospital and you would have been regardless of Covid and your test positive you are now counted as hospitalized with Covid. False positives do inflate the number of Covid hospitalizations and deaths.
That's wrong. Please stop promulgating false and ignorant statements. Doctors make CLINICAL diagnosis. They look at sign, symptoms, data. A test result is one piece of that. But you can test negative and be diagnosed with COVID. It has a clinically characteristic pattern, including on CT.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's worse than that. In IL, if you go to the hospital you are tested for Covid. IDPH counts "awaiting test results" as "probables" when they report their data.
So our "hospitalizations" in IL include "true positives" and "probables". To even use the language "probable" is questionable.
And the positives include people who are in the hospital for other reasons (scheduled surgery ,etc) and may be asymptomatic but got a positive test.
Yes, you are right about that.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
That statistically works itself out as results come and adjustments made. You people forget you are dealing with INFECTIOUS disease. That means contagious. They also test for MRSA, because there is special handling in a hospital for MRSA patients, just as there is for COVID because of the infectious nature of the disease. When a patient presents with CLINICAL signs or symptoms consistent with an infectious disease a hospital MUST treat them as infectious until proven otherwise. I think you would appreciate that if you were in the bed sharing a room with another patient!

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
That's wrong. Please stop promulgating false and ignorant statements. Doctors make CLINICAL diagnosis. They look at sign, symptoms, data. A test result is one piece of that. But you can test negative and be diagnosed with COVID. It has a clinically characteristic pattern, including on CT.
False. Again. From the CDC:

How COVID-NET Calculates Hospitalization Rates
Hospitalization rates are calculated by the number of residents of a defined area who are hospitalized with a positive SARS-CoV-2 laboratory test divided by the total population within that defined area.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
Those people are infectious. But if you're comfortable hanging out in a small hospital room with someone that is NOT there for COVID but just tested positive for it, go for it. Let Darwin do his thing for the betterment of the species, right?

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Those people are infectious. But if you're comfortable hanging out in a small hospital room with someone that is NOT there for COVID but just tested positive for it, go for it. Let Darwin do his thing for the betterment of the species, right?
We were not talking about treatment and contagion but about how false positives inflate covid hospitalization and death numbers

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
False. Again. From the CDC:

How COVID-NET Calculates Hospitalization Rates
Hospitalization rates are calculated by the number of residents of a defined area who are hospitalized with a positive SARS-CoV-2 laboratory test divided by the total population within that defined area.
Your ignorance is impressive. COVID-NET is a limited surveillance program in a handful of states. As they say, it only covers about 10% of the population. It is not state by state reporting.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
“I reject your reality and substitute my own.”

― Adam Savage

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
That statistically works itself out as results come and adjustments made
HUH?

I have no problem at all with hospitals testing everyone, as they should. But the point is that public health organizations play fast & loose with what they call "hospitalized" and unless you follow all of the details closely, it just ratchets up the panic levels.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
We were not talking about treatment and contagion but about how false positives inflate covid hospitalization and death numbers
Your argument fails at the outset. Your attack on all testing as false ASSUMES (falsely) that testing is a binary outcome. But it isn't. It is, in the end, reported as such based on probability criteria. But, as you note, the measures in the testing affect the probabilities. If you set the criteria too high you will get a much lower positivity rate, and also a much higher false negative rate. In other words, if the test must be 99.9% certain to report a positive, you will miss a LOT of people that are in fact infected. If the test must be 10% certain, you'll get a lot of false positives. EXPERTS -- people NOT like you -- determine the appropriate measures to use. It is, by definition and design, imperfect. It will ALWAYS generate some false results because we're dealing with probabilities. Nonetheless, we rely on experts to provide us the most reliable information they reasonably can. Generally, it is a much better PUBLIC HEALTH decision to err on the side of false positives than false negatives. Your bitching is really just saying you want more false negatives. Experts disagree. I'll go with the experts and not DannyTS when considering my health. I'd hope others will do the same.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Your argument fails at the outset. Your attack on all testing as false ASSUMES (falsely) that testing is a binary outcome. But it isn't. It is, in the end, reported as such based on probability criteria. But, as you note, the measures in the testing affect the probabilities. If you set the criteria too high you will get a much lower positivity rate, and also a much higher false negative rate. In other words, if the test must be 99.9% certain to report a positive, you will miss a LOT of people that are in fact infected. If the test must be 10% certain, you'll get a lot of false positives. EXPERTS -- people NOT like you -- determine the appropriate measures to use. It is, by definition and design, imperfect. It will ALWAYS generate some false results because we're dealing with probabilities. Nonetheless, we rely on experts to provide us the most reliable information they reasonably can. Generally, it is a much better PUBLIC HEALTH decision to err on the side of false positives than false negatives. Your bitching is really just saying you want more false negatives. Experts disagree. I'll go with the experts and not DannyTS when considering my health. I'd hope others will do the same.

I want to see your statistics about the people who tested positive, are in the hospital, and do not count as Covid hospitalizations. You can't? Why? ;)

I showed you how the hospitalizations are calculated in 14 states by the CDC guidance. You SHOW us how it is calculated in the other states. You have offered no reason why they would calculate the hospitalizations that way in ANY state. You pretend to know something but you are just writing generalities without any proof or source to back you up. And rude on top of that.

x3 skier

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
IBTL

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I suspect that most of the people arguing over "statistics" don't know a PDF other than an adobe document.

As an an engineer who has been involved in statistical methods for production quality (Six Sigma) and I had to take two courses of probability and statistics in college and have to model different distributions based off of the nature of what you are measuring.

Most do not have a clue as to WHAT to measure or HOW to measure it. Add politics and selfish economic interests and we get post like these.

I won't be CHILDISH and STALK other's posts, I will just:
thinkgeek-tng-facepalmbust-640x640.jpg

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
deleted

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
I suspect that most of the people arguing over "statistics" don't know a PDF other than an adobe document.

As an an engineer who has been involved in statistical methods for production quality (Six Sigma) and I had to take two courses of probability and statistics in college and have to model different distributions based off of the nature of what you are measuring.

Most do not have a clue as to WHAT to measure or HOW to measure it. Add politics and selfish economic interests and we get post like these.

I won't be CHILDISH and STALK other's posts, I will just:
thinkgeek-tng-facepalmbust-640x640.jpg
Comments like this crack me up. Everyone puffing up their chest with credentials as a way of dismissing others. Back at the beginning of Covid I entered into the discussion and was shouted down in TUG by someone who mocked my career and belittled me. Why must these conversations go this way?

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Comments like this crack me up. Everyone puffing up their chest with credentials as a way of dismissing others. Back at the beginning of Covid I entered into the discussion and was shouted down in TUG by someone who mocked my career and belittled me. Why must these conversations go this way?
I don't recall mocking you, if I remember correctly, you DO work with statistics.

The issue is that I'm seeing economic self interest be the main driver of the decision. If that is the case, state it up front. In the beginning, there was a lot of gymnastics to compare this with the seasonal flu (I was one in the beginning), but with the restrictions in place and the hospitalization/death rates, I have changed my mind.

The Lieutenant Governor of Texas was BIG on the senior citizens should be willing to make the sacrifice to open up businesses in the State and use them, but when the time came for HIM to attend the the convention PERSONALLY ... ZOOM BABY!

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't recall mocking you, if I remember correctly, you DO work with statistics.

The issue is that I'm seeing economic self interest be the main driver of the decision. If that is the case, state it up front. In the beginning, there was a lot of gymnastics to compare this with the seasonal flu (I was one in the beginning), but with the restrictions in place and the hospitalization/death rates, I have changed my mind.

The Lieutenant Governor of Texas was BIG on the senior citizens should be willing to make the sacrifice to open up businesses in the State and use them, but when the time came for HIM to attend the the convention PERSONALLY ... ZOOM BABY!
I think we can all agree that our politicians have been incredible hypocrites.

Reactions: DrQ